Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove the 2 part friction fit stem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove the 2 part friction fit stem?

Hi, my Manhattan and ncc have this type of stem. I can see in pictures there is a make ball and female stem. Does the male end lifted out of the female socket perpendicular to the stem, or is it pulled out in line to the stem. And then what is the correct way to hold the female part. And how can you tell the difference between resistance from the friction fit vs corrosion (so stop trying to force it)

Thanks

Originally posted by Davidsquaredson View Post
    Hi, my Manhattan and ncc have this type of stem. I can see in pictures there is a make ball and female stem. Does the male end lifted out of the female socket perpendicular to the stem, or is it pulled out in line to the stem. And then what is the correct way to hold the female part. And how can you tell the difference between resistance from the friction fit vs corrosion (so stop trying to force it)

Thanks
    Hi and welcome!
    All good questions, and certainly a job than can instill some trepidation, even when the person performing the task is familiar with it.
    I've done this many times and am still not sure I'm qualified to give advice.. I generally grasp the crown with some pliers (but protect the crown with some cloth, and don't pinch terribly tight, if it can be avoided) and pull straight out, as there isn't sufficient space to slide it out from the side, A slight wiggle side to side can sometimes tell you if it's got some give, but sometimes it isn't possible to know whether there is corrosion or damage until the deed is done.

Good luck!
    Brad

Comment

Working...
    X