• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post

Imma pick the CC Diastar this week. HM

I too will be cheering George on.
    Cheers mate. NFS.

Your default is calling to me this week, such a clean looking piece.

PC010057 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr
    http://s145.photobucket.com/user/sco...deshow/Watches

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
      The STARLINER rocks!
      Thanks Brad. One of the best purchases I ever made. I got it for the bracelet, which looked like junk, and paid junk price for the whole thing.

Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post

Thanks! It is bringing me a bit of joy, so I've tried to do a little research.
        Alfex is a brand of a company called Alfa, this being part of an Export line (ALFEX). They have been around pre-ALFEX since 1948 and appear to have launched this brand name in the early 1970s.

I've looked at their website for other timepieces and there isn't much there that would cause an aficionado of mechanical watches to look twice.

I'm not really sure who produced this watch initially...I've read suggestions that it was an M&M design prior to being taken over and marketed by Alfex. Both appear to have the same components and Gerog Plum design, jsut differing dial and rotor branding.
        Here's some stuff showing the M&M version with black and grey dial and a gear motif on the dial as well as on the crown:

s-l1600.jpg

I'm keeping my eyes open for more information, and maybe one of the alternate dial versions.
        Regardless, it seems this is the pinnacle of horology for both brands, in my possibly biased opinion.
        B
        That one is nice too.

Comment

Originally posted by scottjc View Post

Cheers mate. NFS.

Your default is calling to me this week, such a clean looking piece.

Thanks Scott. They did do the dial right. A pure and simple addition to the GHs.

Comment

This tiger eye came on Tuesday, still wearing it today. 1A932087-0E08-4AFE-ACB7-0C9FC3D1884C.jpeg 1940507E-BBF7-47D6-A630-F96E26C29B47.jpeg

Comment

So that's a tungsten bracelet too? It looks a bit heavy and industrial for a regular Diastar.
              Yes tungsten, it is very similar to the mirrored tungsten bracelet on the analog/digi chronograph. The combination works.

CFD128B6-C40B-4B25-AC02-8CD6B16AD188.jpeg
              See my collection slideshow at
              http://s629.photobucket.com/user/sca...20March%202012

Comment

That really is an original piece. Did they make many more watches?
                In case anyone has interest, one of these is for sale on eBay:

In all honesty, without the OEM bracelet and with signs of use, I would say this is worth no more than $500 on a good day.
                Also, it is polished, while mine is almost entirely brushed (which I prefer)--I'm not sure which finish is original.

s-l1600.jpg

There was another on eBay a month or two ago with the wrong crown and with a bracelet--the seller was seeking about $480.

Comment

Working...
                X