Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First observation of a numbered movement in a non-Chronometer Rado?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First observation of a numbered movement in a non-Chronometer Rado?

I discovered something unexpected on the web today. Images of a Rado Manhattan clearly show the movement (presumably an AS 1859) has a 4-digit number like those seen on Chronometers. Our working hypothesis for many years now has been that Rado only numbered their chronometer movements* (because it is required for testing/certification). I wonder what this example signifies. Two options spring readily to mind:
    1. Replacement movement (whether factory or otherwise)
    2. This movement did not pass chronometer testing, was returned to Rado and used in a non-chronometer model
    As always when discussing vintage Rado information, "the world may never know."

My chronometer-certified AS 1859:

The one spotted online:

Note: they have the same type of regulator. I'll have to see if non-chonometer AS 1859s (or 190Xs of similar design) have something different...

Update: the basic 17j version in my US-market Manhattan has the same regulator:

It makes me wonder why a Manhattan otherwise identical to mine (which I am nearly certain is 100% original) would have a 25j movement...especially one that is numbered. Is this the "parts is parts" mentality (we've discussed before) at work?

*Note Silverlepor Rado 847 movements based on Longines Cal. 847 movements were also numbered and not certified.
    Last edited by Watch Carefully; 02-08-2020, 04:56 PM.
Working...
X