X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch Carefully
    replied
    Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    There are a lot of steel or chrome Tressa diastar shaped watches on the bay, some with authentic Tressa casebacks.They mostly seem refinished but if any are real my skepticism
    grows. I can't see Rado allowing a sub brand to cheapen the Diastar image by using something inferior to TC in a Diastar shaped case. The second one I've posted appears to be an authentic dial.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg
    I agree--the second dial appears authentic. That first one has many indications that the dial is re-finished. The minute markers aren't all straight or uniform in length, and the SWISS MADE is bounded by 'T' which signifies Tritium, but I see no lume on that watch.

Leave a comment:

• JohnPat
    replied
    I recall seeing some old advertising material that positioned Tressa “Lux” as their premium range.

Leave a comment:

• Henry Krinkle
    replied
    There are a lot of steel or chrome Tressa diastar shaped watches on the bay, some with authentic Tressa casebacks.They mostly seem refinished but if any are real my skepticism
    grows. I can't see Rado allowing a sub brand to cheapen the Diastar image by using something inferior to TC in a Diastar shaped case. The second one I've posted appears to be an authentic dial.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Watch Carefully
    replied
    Thanks for that, Henry. I had also come across reference to Rado buying Tressa, but wasn't sure it was credible. Either way, it seems quite a coincidence that Rado bought assest of a company who produced watches very similar to many Rados. Add in Miles's Rado Murano - LaserϟBeam (a name seen on many Tressas) and it's hard to know whether there was more than just the connection after liquidation.

Leave a comment:

• Henry Krinkle
    replied
    Desta was a sub brand of Tressa. Further looking reveals little else, except more bits, seemingly from the same source, regarding picking over Tressa's corpse sometime after the 1987 bankruptcy.

Leave a comment:

• Henry Krinkle
    replied
    AH, here's what he's is probably confused about. Someone on the internets claims Rado purchased the assets after they went bankrupt in the 1980s.
    From some guy on the Watchforum, UK.

"The Tressa Watch Co. was located on Rue de la Gare 14 2502 Biel/Bienne (Kanton Bern, Switzerland) and existed from 25.04.1966 up to 04.03.1987. The company went bankrupt under a judgement of 09.12.1986 and was wound-up on 04.03.1987 for being in default to its creditors. On the 02.05.2002, the liquidation became final and was deleted from the Commercial Registry of Switzerland. The assets of the company were bought by Rado Watch Co. Ltd. Purpose of business had been production and wholesaling of watches, movements and accessories, they had a basic capital of 500.000 CHF, so they hadnīt been a giant in swiss watch production."

Leave a comment:

• Henry Krinkle
    replied
    The only fact I know is I've never heard that before.

I strongly doubt it. I met even bet a dollar on it. The few Tressas I have seen show themselves to be cheap and rickety. When looking at the relative quality of the entry level Rados like Companions, Conways and Voyagers I find even under a different name the quality differential strikes me as far too great. I think the difference is a little like the difference between a Pony era Hyundai and a 3 series Beemer.

Leave a comment:

• Watch Carefully
    started a topic Tressa--were they affiliated with Rado?

Tressa--were they affiliated with Rado?

A guy on TZ posted this week about a Tressa he owned, and stated bluntly Tressa was a sub-brand of Rado.
    I'm not ready to believe that without corroboration.
    Any known facts out there?
Working...
X