No announcement yet.

Previously unknown vintage Rado model?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Previously unknown vintage Rado model?

I think I may have stumbled upon a previously unknown vintage model, at least I can't find reference to it anywhere on this forum, nor anywhere else online. Rado Litenite Ref# 11847. I know that this Ref# is also found on the Day/Night, but looking at the photos I can't help but think it's genuine, as you can see, the style and layout of the Day/Night case back appear quite different to that of the Litenite. The printed chapter ring and hand set are reminiscent of other models however I think the hour markers are unique to this model. The movement spacer and movement (AS 1859 I think) are identical to that of a New Green Horse other than the orientation of the date at 3 rather than 6. I also note a movement date code of January '69, I think this would make it the earliest dated AS we have record of. Thoughts?

Front.jpg
    Side.jpg .
    Back.jpg
    DSC_0788.jpg
    Movement.jpg

Nice one Tim.
    It never ceases to amaze me that we continue to find new models.
    http://s145.photobucket.com/user/sco...deshow/Watches

Comment

Looks like an original to me, great find. That case resembles the DayNight and also my Jetliner 333

A3B46947-DC73-4DFA-9B7F-8AD01C38CFC4.jpeg
      See my collection slideshow at
      http://s629.photobucket.com/user/sca...20March%202012

Comment

Cool find, Tim!
        The case is also quite a bit like the Ref. 11821 Chronometer that replaced the 56-H:

IMO, the hands are too short for the LITENITE dial, but that could be original.
        I wonder if Mike184 has seen this...I'll check his website. UPDATE: No sign of this model name on vintage-rado.de.
        The crystal is OEM Rado with the anchor, so I would guess this is all original. Any reason (aside from corrosion from below--not seen on this watch) to replace the dial or re-paint it would often mean the crystal is replaced also...likely not with OEM parts.
        Last edited by Watch Carefully; 12-14-2019, 01:05 PM.

Comment

I am in agreement with the others. I see nothing that would obviously preclude it from being authentic. I think this is one of the things many of us like about Rado. There is still so much undiscovered territory.
          Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

Guys, a request for help:
            If you own one of the watches above, please let me know the size of the dial, as near as you can, in millimetres. I'm curious how it compares with the roughly 30mm dial size of the 56-H models that preceded the Ref. 11821. Something like this might be a good donor case for an orphan 56-H.
            As always, thanks for your help and, if you have cases to sell (or loan for trial) which may fit such a project, please let me know.
            Cheers,
            Brad

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
              Guys, a request for help:
              If you own one of the watches above, please let me know the size of the dial, as near as you can, in millimetres. I'm curious how it compares with the roughly 30mm dial size of the 56-H models that preceded the Ref. 11821. Something like this might be a good donor case for an orphan 56-H.
              As always, thanks for your help and, if you have cases to sell (or loan for trial) which may fit such a project, please let me know.
              Cheers,
              Brad
              Somewhere around I have a gp case from a smallish 30J Green or Golden horse. IF, and that's a big IF, I can find it I can measure all the dimensions for you. It is gp though.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
                It is gp though.
                Thanks!
                Gold-plated is fine, actually; the 56-H dials I have are all intended for gold cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post

Thanks!
                  Gold-plated is fine, actually; the 56-H dials I have are all intended for gold cases.
                  Alright, I'll have a look. If I recall it's a pretty basic case, but has the nice old bayonet back. I have a pretty good idea of which set of spares dawers it is in.

Comment

Just spotted this parts lot which includes a LITENITE dial, looks like the model may be original

45952010-8075-4146-AFF7-A5972C3CBF91.jpeg
                    See my collection slideshow at
                    http://s629.photobucket.com/user/sca...20March%202012

Comment

Originally posted by JohnPat View Post
                      Just spotted this parts lot which includes a LITENITE dial, looks like the model may be original

45952010-8075-4146-AFF7-A5972C3CBF91.jpeg
                      It's certainly another tick in favour of it.

Comment

Working...
                      X