New arival, no reason to get excited.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New arival, no reason to get excited.

Ok, so no reason to get excited, this arrived in yesterday's post, that's right folks, I've decided to take a walk on the wild side and buy a Voyager. Unfortunately it's not the much sort after AS 1876 version and to be honest I mostly bought it because I thought I would get a bracelet for my Stratojet F, alas that turned out not to be so.

Thus.jpg

As you can see it's a bog standard Voyager, with an ETA 2788 movement, only slightly remarkable in that there is no Rado cal 2794 stamp. It's visible on the example below that was made 6 months later and they've had to move the RADO stamp back about 4mm to accommodate it.

Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 2.41.08 PM.jpg.
    Mvt2.jpg

Although this bracelet is similar in appearance to the Stratojet bracelet, as you can see on Brad's example below, my bracelet doesn't have the same end links and the links are smaller with no sign of the angled facets present on Brad's. It's made for 20mm lugs and although I could grind the ends down to suit my Sratojet F as it's not really the correct bracelet anyway, I think I might just as well leave it on the Voyager for now. I can keep searching for a Stratojet F bracelet, you would think there should be some spares around given the number of Stratojet F's with damaged crystals out there.

20191114_125333.jpg
    20191114_124233 (1).jpg

Brad's Stratojet.

Brad's.jpg

As I said, no reason to get excited, the crystal has some heavy scratches that need sanding and polishing and the brushing isn't perfect but it's not so bad that I can't live with it. On the plus side it's a very comfortable watch / bracelet combo to wear and since I wound and set it at lunchtime yesterday, it's running within +/- 2 sec, so I'm well pleased with that.

An update on the bracelet. Early this morning his time I think Scott answered the bracelet question, it's virtually identical to one of the McKinley bracelets, with different end links made to suit the Voyager. Perhaps they had some leftovers from the early AS powered McKinleys and decided to use them up on the odd Voyager. Who knows, with Rado exception is often the rule.
    Last edited by Tim.; 11-14-2019, 06:30 AM.

Comment

For records you can see the similar bracelet detail on the McKinley here.

WP_20170608_19_15_11_Pro (3).jpg
      http://s145.photobucket.com/user/sco...deshow/Watches

Comment

That's interesting Scott. The one you posted is a four knuckle version of the same design, I also found a McKinley with the five knuckle version.

Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 9.22.34 PM.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Tim. View Post
          That's interesting Scott. The one you posted is a four knuckle version of the same design, I also found a McKinley with the five knuckle version.

Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 9.22.34 PM.jpg
          The McKinley used the AS 1876????
          I had no idea.
          That should have been made in TC...it would make a stunning diastar with that case and crystal shape.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim. View Post
            Ok, so no reason to get excited, this arrived in yesterday's post, that's right folks, I've decided to take a walk on the wild side and buy a Voyager. Unfortunately it's not the much sort after AS 1876 version and to be honest I mostly bought it because I thought I would get a bracelet for my Stratojet F, alas that turned out not to be so.

As I said, no reason to get excited, the crystal has some heavy scratches that need sanding and polishing and the brushing isn't perfect but it's not so bad that I can't live with it. On the plus side it's a very comfortable watch / bracelet combo to wear and since I wound and set it at lunchtime yesterday, it's running within +/- 2 sec, so I'm well pleased with that.
            It's a good looking piece, though Tim. And far preferable to the 1980s Voyagers, of which far too many were made!

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post

It's a good looking piece, though Tim. And far preferable to the 1980s Voyagers, of which far too many were made!
              I agree Brad. I like mine much more than I thought I would.
              http://s145.photobucket.com/user/sco...deshow/Watches

Comment

It looks pretty good Tim, congrats.

Comment

Brad's.jpg

I found a bracelet on the 'Bay which appears to be quite like the one on my former Stratojet. Possibly, like the one pictured below, the Stratojet bracelet was made by Maruman, a brand Miles was fond of (according to an old post). Or maybe one company was copying a design of the other.

s-l1600.jpg

Comment

Working...
                  X