Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The World Travel experiment...

Hello all,
    I am writing to ask a favour of anyone who has a World Travel model like the one below. I believe it has an AS caliber 1701 or similar.

Could you let me know the diameter of the dial opening and, if you have access and are willing, the diameter of the actual dial?
    I'm hoping the case would fit my 30mm 56-H dial, so I could begin the search for a donor case.

Of course, if you have a project WT to sell, I'll be interested also!
    Thanks,
    Brad

s-l1600.jpg
    Last edited by Watch Carefully; 11-25-2019, 01:46 PM.

You know, I've looked at those a million times, but I have never bought one.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

I've got a couple of World Travels but not on gold.
      I'll have a look at the movements, etc if I get chance.
      http://s145.photobucket.com/user/sco...deshow/Watches

Comment

Hi gents,
        I'm still seeking info on whether the above type of World Travel watch case will work with a 30mm dial.
        I don't want to pressure Scott to dismantle a complete watch for this info--does anyone else have a parts watch they could investigate for me?

Thanks,
        Brad

Comment

So, I pulled the trigger on the one above as a possible donor case.
          No dice. It houses a 28.5mm dial, so the 30mm of the Series II 56-H will not fit. 'Tis a pity, as it would look great in that case.

Anyone seeking an early 1960s World Travel?

It runs but likely will need cleaning. There is some damage to the case back--looks like someone who doesn't understand the Bayonet back tried to pry the back open, and chipped the edge in a couple spots. The 30-jewel AS 1581 is complete--running a tad fast, but I have not regulated it. Dial is clean, hands show a little tarnish, case is 14k plated and quite presentable, looks like the crystal is original, crown is block R type, but plating is worn off. The anchor on the dial appears to be solid gold, so is likely 18k.

Open to offers...especially a Rado case that will accept a 30mm dial!

Last edited by Watch Carefully; 01-06-2020, 12:56 PM. Reason: tpyo

Comment

The next experiment...
            It may be considered sacrilege to use a Jetliner as a donor watch to house a loose movement, but 5000 of this Jetliner model (Ref. 11735) were produced, while fewer than 1000 of the 56-H were made, and a sub-set of those used the AS1701 movement. Thus, I have something incoming and I will see if the 56-H dial fits within:

Front.jpg

The dial on the Jetliner looks pretty wide...there is ample space to the right of the date window. I'm optimistic this will fit:

Comment

Did you buy a Jetliner?

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
                Did you buy a Jetliner?
                Indeed, I did.
                Dang, they are pricey!!

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post

Indeed, I did.
                  Dang, they are pricey!!
                  They seem surprisingly uncommon considering they made 5000 and they are quite durable.

Comment

SO, I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that the Jetliner dial is 30mm, nearly identical to those of the 56-H examples I have.
                    Also good news, is that the Jetliner I bought is running well and looks good...because the bad news is this:
                    Although the dial fits, the plane of the 56-H movement and the size/shape of its movement ring, does not sit well in the Jetliner case.
                    I could possibly have someone in a machine shop make me a suitable ring, but I'm not ready to try tackling that task just yet. I have another donor case (non-Rado) coming in and will test that. It is also possible that, between the 4 orphaned 56-Hs I have (which includes 3 different calibers and varying mvt rings) I could find a combination to fit the Jetliner case.

Here's what it could look like:

Not bad, eh? I'd prefer putting it in a GP case, as it would originally have been in a gold case, but this looks nice, and fits the Rado design ethos, IMO.
                    Unfortunately, there was quite a gap between dial and crystal, as shown here...

...and also it seems the rotor wasn't spinning 100% freely, so I put it back together as delivered.

I'll keep accumulating parts and hope that something works...

Comment

At last, one that fits, sort of. I does sit a little deep as you said, maybe it's possible to have one of the gp cases that take a 28.5mm dial machined out a little, as long as the dial gets past the thread, which it should and there's more than .75mm of metal to spare. The experiment continues......

Comment

No time for photos Brad, but I think it's bad news from here. I haven't found the gp Golden Horse case, but I did find the other case I thought might work, a steel one for a 30J Green Horse. Lovely little very early flat back bayonet case. The domed dial is a scant 28mm. In my mind the gp 30J Golden Horse is the same size.

Comment

Both the World Travel (and an NSA bracelet) and the Jetliner are available on the Rado Exchange...
                          I have another experimental case coming in and need to free up funds for the project.
                          Brad

Comment

Working...
                          X