Uncased 56-H arrival...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncased 56-H arrival...

Thanks to JohnPat, I was able to pursue (and ultimately obtain) this lovely late-model 56-H orphan. It may be hard to discern in the photo above; this is a gold dial with gold markers.

It saddens me that the case was scrapped...I am sure it was solid 18k and had the rare shooting-star caseback.
    Such a pity that it is gone forever, presumably melted for the value of the gold.

Here is the movement:

Two items of note:
    1. It is marked AS 1858, with no evidence of a 190x stamping.
    2. It has a 906 date code
    Fritz von Osterhausen's book claimed that the 1858 was used in Rado chronometers after 1968, so this movement's 1969 production is consistent with that information.

I'll try to get photos that show the date code, and AS stamping (below!). Also, I'll put it on my timing machine; I fully expect it runs at 21,600.

I've just realized that I now own one of each of the movements used in the 56-H series: calibers 1361N, 1701 and 1858.
    And I have one of each of the dial/marker variations: gold/gold, silver/gold, silver/silver.

Brad

A new photo that shows the gold tone of the dial a little better:

And a new photo showing the date code and (barely) the AS 1858 stamping beneath the balance:

Last edited by Watch Carefully; 11-08-2019, 01:17 PM.

All 3. sadly, the new dial is too wide for the MuDu case I used for the older one...so I'll have to keep going with the Trial and Error method to find a donor case.

Comment

This thread seems to have slipped under the radar, but someone was paying attention...and I managed to conclude a trade for two more 56-H assemblies.
      At this rate, maybe I can justify having a set of cases made to my specification, and offer completed watches for sale so they can be used as originally intended!

I'll share some more info when they arrive.
      B

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
        This thread seems to have slipped under the radar, but someone was paying attention...and I managed to conclude a trade for two more 56-H assemblies.
        At this rate, maybe I can justify having a set of cases made to my specification, and offer completed watches for sale so they can be used as originally intended!

I'll share some more info when they arrive.
        B
        Hey Brad, that's really cool. I take it by assemblies you mean dial , hands and movement sans case? Did you get anywhere with measurements for the World Travel case idea?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim. View Post
          Did you get anywhere with measurements for the World Travel case idea?
          Sadly I didn't get around to checking mine at the weekend.
          http://s145.photobucket.com/user/sco...deshow/Watches

Comment

Originally posted by Tim. View Post

Hey Brad, that's really cool. I take it by assemblies you mean dial , hands and movement sans case? Did you get anywhere with measurements for the World Travel case idea?
            Yes, all but the case (actually, I have a crystal and ring from the one with the gold dial--that's unusual).

No progress yet on the WT, but I'm patient.
            Scott--no rush, mate!
            Last edited by Watch Carefully; 11-13-2019, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X