Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know what this is???????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mike184
    replied
    Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    It is quite similar to the Rado Anatom, which is the watch that heralded Rados modern design philosophy.
    Exactly, very similar.
    IMHO it´s the direct ancestor of the first Anatom models.
    Here´s a compare to an early DiaStar Anatom Quartz (1984):

1 DS 561_ a forum.jpg1986 DiaStar Anatom USAb.jpg
    Last edited by mike184; 01-07-2019, 01:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Henry Krinkle
    replied
    I agree with Mike. This appears to be a genuine (very) early 80s Rado Diastar. I have it in the back of my mind that this was called the Diastar City in some markets, but I can't say for sure that I am not just imagining that. It is quite similar to the Rado Anatom, which is the watch that heralded Rados modern design philosophy.

I have no problem with the extra digit. While it is uncommon to have it on the case rather than the dial, this watch is from very early in the era of the extra digit ref. numbers. In the case of the earliest versions it usually only differentiated between the dials, but nowadays those extra digits can cover a host of changes to a generic Ref.

Enjoy that and as Mike says, consider a service.

Leave a comment:

• mike184
    replied
    Hi!

What we know:

Genuine model, as the watch itself and the Japanese brochure indicate
    (Early/middle of) 1980s, as the design indicates
    ETA 2671, Auto, d, ''', as the 561.xxxx.x indicates
    DiaStar (though not mentioned on the dial) with tungstencarbide-parts of the case, as the xxx.xxxx.4 and the Japanese brochure indicate

The additional cypher is easy to explain, I´ve already seen that before at some models.
    As Brad´s pic of the Japanese brochure shows, there had been a lot of variations of this specific model with differences only in the colour of the dial, case and bracelet and, if it comes to the Jubilée, material of the markers.
    So at that time and in these cases, Rado used an additional cypher on the watch to be able to deliver the right spare parts in case of a repair.

In 1983, ASUAG and SSIH merged to the SMH, todays Swatch Group. It´s been the hardest years for the companies inner these trusts and the trusts themselves.
    Rado (part of ASUAG) had been the only one of all of those watch companies with a positive balance all over these years.
    So some Rado models with numerous variations were thrown on the market to sell as much as possible and they tried to optimise the profit, e.g. by using movements for ladies´watches in gents´ watches (like here) or using press-down-backs instead of screw-down ones (at the classical DiaStars and others).

It´s a typical 1980´s watch, thin, light weighted, with a clear dial design and it seems to be in good condition.
    So congrats on your "new" Rado, enjoy it!
    If you want to wear it regularly, you should think about a service for the movement.
    Last edited by mike184; 01-06-2019, 07:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tim.
    replied
    Henry has written on this subject at various times on the forum. The gist of it is that the full reference number always includes that extra digit but it's usually only ever seen on the paperwork, never on the watch. This watch shows that for a short time at least, the full reference number was stamped on the case back, and It could be that, as Brad says, it's related to the bracelet, or perhaps to the various different dials available for that watch. On more modern Diastars the extra digits related to different dials are printed at the bottom of the dial, as in this example, the blue dial for this Original XL is "020".

20181230_101449.jpg
    Last edited by Tim.; 01-06-2019, 05:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Watch Carefully
    replied
    Originally posted by wareisdes View Post
    That is excellent thank you.
    You are quite welcome.

Strange that it has the additional digit in the Serial number.
    I suggest (without proof) that the extra digit may signify a specific bracelet model (also insinuating that no other Rado bracelet would work on that watch).
    I'd be glad for comments on the viability of this suggestion.

Brad

Leave a comment:

• wareisdes
    replied
    That is excellent thank you. So we think it is an early 1980's Diastar model. Gents? Strange that it has the additional digit in the Serial number.

When taking apart to identify the movement the square glass crystal gasket had perished and destroyed. The glass therefore just slides out of the case. Does anyone know if it is just the square rubber glass gasket that hold the glass in place or should some for of epoxy be used to also hold in place. Cant find a square glass gasket anywhere.

Leave a comment:

• Watch Carefully
    replied
    It looks like you have the silver dial variant of the top left watch from these old Japanese catalogues:

Possibly shown here also (bottom right--a Jubilé model, which yours is not):

Sadly, I don't know if anyone here owns copies of these specific catalogues. John P might...we'll have to see if he chimes in.

Links to these and more images can be found in the Rado Resource Thread.
    Last edited by Watch Carefully; 01-05-2019, 06:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tim.
    replied
    Hi Tim - That is a great start thank you. I have just opened and it is a gold coloured ETA 2671 movement as you suggested with RADO engraved on the rotor. Hopefully this will assist in Henry and others seeing what they think. The case measures 29mm square (excluding crown). It would appear this is a movement common in ladies watches but had presumed this was a mans watch.
    Well, that's good news, the fact that it has the correct movement with Rado on the rotor would suggest it's genuine.

Leave a comment:

• wareisdes
    replied
    Hi Tim - That is a great start thank you. I have just opened and it is a gold coloured ETA 2671 movement as you suggested with RADO engraved on the rotor. Hopefully this will assist in Henry and others seeing what they think. The case measures 29mm square (excluding crown). It would appear this is a movement common in ladies watches but had presumed this was a mans watch.

Leave a comment:

• Tim.
    replied
    Hello and welcome, unfortunately I don't know what this model is called, but Rado have made lots of models that only have "automatic" on the dial so there's nothing unusual about that. It is of some note that the reference number has an extra digit, the .8 on the end could mean it's a fake and I think that join between the D and O on the Rado badge is a little unusual too, however I'm no expert on this vintage. It may be that they used the extra digit for a short time, there are always exceptions to the rules where Rado is concerned. Wait till Henry has a look, (as he will at some point) I'm sure he'll know if the extra digit is okay or not. I can say that if it is genuine the 561 prefix indicates it should have an ETA 2671 inside. According to Dr. Ranfft the 2671 beats at 28800, was manufactured from 1971 and was still being made in 1980, which I would think is closer to the vintage of this watch. Sorry I can't be of more help, but sit tight, somebody here will know.

Leave a comment:

• wareisdes
    started a topic Does anyone know what this is???????????

Does anyone know what this is???????????

Dear All

I have come across the attached watch but struggling to find any information on what model it is or the age.
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Working...
X