Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Rado Forum at Loggerheads...or, how Scott and Brad spent their Friday evening.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scottjc
    replied
    Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
    [B] I was even willing to overlook his off-hand admission that his wife considers him 'directionally challenged.' No worries, right? What could go wrong?
    More fool you Brad, there's plenty that can go wrong when I'm navigating...

Leave a comment:

• Watch Carefully
    replied
    Originally posted by Microbrand View Post
    That's a rare name for a pub, in fact I can only find one other in the UK which is in Market Drayton. Approx 50miles from the one in Shrewsbury.
    Thanks for that info, Chris..
    I remarked that we were pretty close to Wales and it would have been good to have you join us!
    Next time?

Leave a comment:

• Watch Carefully
    replied
    PART 2. Two guys, meeting for the first time, walking obliviously around an unfamiliar town.

Scott isn't a native of Shrewsbury.
    He's originally from another county altogether, but he lives near enough to Shrewsbury that he was home and texting Henry before I changed trains. He chose Shrewsbury because it is easy to reach and is quite a picturesque town, which apparently has a nightlife that draws visitors from surrounding areas outside the county (more on this and a pair of Cheshire coincidences later)--it was an excellent choice of location, I'd advise you to visit, if you have the opportunity. But be aware: there is more than one place called The Armoury.

After we made initial contact on Platform 4, we bolted out of the station and into a nearby pub which, unfortunately, had no cask ale on tap, thus we moved on quickly to our initial raising of the glass at The Loggerheads. Luckily, Scott had his smart phone and an idea of where we were going. I was so busy with our conversation, taking in the sheer Englishness of the setting, and being a bit tired from a three-week period that included multiple international flights, 14 train rides (so far), and three straight full-day business workshops, I was glad to have Scott act as guide. I was even willing to overlook his off-hand admission that his wife considers him 'directionally challenged.' No worries, right? What could go wrong?

The first discussion of watches arose in Loggerheads. Scott had apparently wrestled with, as he put it to me 'what watch does one wear when meeting the guy behind the Rado Forum?' I'd have been glad to see any watch of Scott's--whether it is rare or not--so long as it is one that means something to him. He needn't have worried. His choice was a spectacular Hardtron on a ribbon-pattern 7-row NSA. It's the first time I've seen and handled a Hardton--what a magnificent piece. Scott is right in his assessment that it sums up much that is great about vintage Rado watches--amazing case shape, fabulous faceted crystal, funky dial, noteworthy Dynotron movement and, I paraphrase him here: 'a dirty great hunk of tungsten carbide.'

Here is how much of a geek I am, though: When I initially took a glance at Scott's wrist to try and discern which watch he had chosen, all I could focus on was the wonderful 7-row NSA. I opened our discussion of watches with "this is the first time I've seen someone other than myself wearing a watch on an NSA bracelet."
    I silently awarded myself the 'geek of the gathering' award.

After imbibing a pint at Loggerheads, we had another place to visit. Scott had identified a couple options, and we wanted to see a bit of the town, so off we headed, using Scott's phone to guide us. Shrewsbury is a proper sight...spires, half-timbered buildings, a Norman abbey, the river Severn...there is much to see. Some highlights:

We wandered off across the river, en route to The Armoury, when we spotted a place that could not be ignored...

...one of the oldest public houses in the UK. Built by Roger de Montgomery, First Earl of Shrewsbury circa 1085 as a hostel for the highly skilled masons and master builders bought in to supervise the construction of the St. Peter and St. Paul (later to be known as The Abbey). [It] was historically a hostelry with its own brewery in 1105 and probably existed before that.

More soon...
    Last edited by Watch Carefully; 06-10-2018, 11:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Microbrand
    replied
    That's a rare name for a pub, in fact I can only find one other in the UK which is in Market Drayton. Approx 50miles from the one in Shrewsbury.

Leave a comment:

• The Rado Forum at Loggerheads...or, how Scott and Brad spent their Friday evening.

PART 1. At Loggerheads.

The title needs a little explaining.
    The common use of the phrase 'at loggerheads' suggests two people unable to make a decision or reach compromise. Although Scott and I spent several days planning (mainly on his part) and confirming (delays on mine) this visit, neither of us had much doubt it would happen. Scott bought his train tickets a couple days in advance (unbeknownst to me--it's a good thing nothing prevented my arrival!), and though I was keen on taking my 13th, 14th, 15th and 16th, train rides in Britain over the past 3 weeks, this journey served mainly to meet an on-line friend of several years in a picturesque old town in Shropshire, a part of England new to me. Which brings me to The Loggerheads...

It's not only the name of the first pub in which we shared fellowship...

...Wikipedia provides this as one example of its meaning:
    Loggerheads, the heraldic term for leopards' faces, e.g., on the coat of arms and flag of Shropshire (England) and its county town, Shrewsbury... The animals' faces, fondly referred to as "loggerheads" locally, are a traditional emblem for Shropshire and have historically evolved from the loggerheads on the Shrewsbury town arms, themselves first recorded in 1623. This originates presumably in the practice of carving some such motif on the head of the log used as a battering ram.

Thus, it was a fitting locale for our first foray into our discussions of watches, the friendly group at EOT (with much reminiscence of Miles), two of our dogs who could be cousins, the merits of beer/cider, walking, smart-phone directions, the simple life (versus town life), authentic English chip shops and the unanswered question "Why has Scott never eaten a Doner Kebab?"

More on all of this soon...I've got much to do today and will provide this travelogue in installments as time allows...I'll leave Part 1 with another public shout of Thanks to Scott for all he did to make this fantastic visit happen.
    Last edited by Watch Carefully; 06-10-2018, 01:52 PM. Reason: Because I cannot leave well enough alone sometimes
Working...
X