Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neewbie with Neewbie Question

Hi all,

I just bought this Diastar and thought I'd post a few pics here... my first post.s-l1600 (3).jpgs-l1600 (4).jpgs-l1600 (5).jpg

Can you tell me the approximate age and any thoughts you might have about it, as well as it's value?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Imago View Post
    Hi all,

I just bought this Diastar and thought I'd post a few pics here... my first post.

Can you tell me the approximate age and any thoughts you might have about it, as well as it's value?

Thanks!
    Hello and welcome Imago,
    Congratulations on your vintage DS8. In answer to the age question, it's a bit difficult to tell with any degree of accuracy but I can say the following. That is an AS movement, probably stamped 1716/17 or 1862/63 and if it has no 3 digit date code (i.e.106) that will make it pre 1969, so maybe about '64 to '68 will be the best I could do. As to the value, "how long is a piece of string". There are many things to take into account. Does it work? How well? Is the crystal chipped or scratched? Do you have the correct bracelet for it? On the plus side the dial and hands appear to be in good condition. So let's say, in good condition, working well with the correct seven row bracelet I'd value it between US$130 - $175 depending on market interest. If you like it though, why not keep it and enjoy wearing it!
    Last edited by Tim.; 10-08-2017, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Hello and welcome here.
      That's a nice Diastar 8 you have there, did it come with a bracelet?
      Tim has covered age pretty comprehensively. On the question of value, you need to bear in mind that vintage Rados are ridiculous undervalued, part of the reason we love them so much here. You get one hell of a lot of watch for your buck.
      http://s145.photobucket.com/user/sco...deshow/Watches

Comment

Originally posted by Tim. View Post
        Hello and welcome Imago,
        Congratulations on your vintage DS8. In answer to the age question, it's a bit difficult to tell with any degree of accuracy but I can say the following. That is an AS movement, probably stamped 1716/17 or 1862/63 and if it has no 3 digit date code (i.e.106) that will make it pre 1969, so maybe about '64 to '68 will be the best I could do. As to the value, "how long is a piece of string". There are many things to take into account. Does it work? How well? Is the crystal chipped or scratched? Do you have the correct bracelet for it? On the plus side the dial and hands appear to be in good condition. So let's say, in good condition, working well with the correct seven row bracelet I'd value it between US$130 - $175 depending on market interest. If you like it though, why not keep it and enjoy wearing it!
        Thanks very much for the information. I bought it on eBay after seeing them and liking them for quite a while... I couldn't resist as it went for only $66, a bargain it seemed to me although I'll know more once it arrives.

I'm now awaiting it's arrival and thought I'd do some research before it shows up. The seller said it works well, but runs slow. Any ideas on how to clean it, lubricate it and adjust it?

It also looks as though the gasket is shot, where would I source a replacement and I can't tell from the poor eBay photos, (that you're looking at) if the crystal is scratched or not. I also need a decent bracelet... what would people recommend? I'll provide some decent photos once it arrives... stay tuned!

Comment

Thanks very much for the information. I bought it on eBay after seeing them and liking them for quite a while... I couldn't resist as it went for only $66, a bargain it seemed to me although I'll know more once it arrives.

I'm now awaiting it's arrival and thought I'd do some research before it shows up. The seller said it works well, but runs slow. Any ideas on how to clean it, lubricate it and adjust it?

It also looks as though the gasket is shot, where would I source a replacement and I can't tell from the poor eBay photos, (that you're looking at) if the crystal is scratched or not. I also need a decent bracelet... what would people recommend? I'll provide some decent photos once it arrives... stay tuned!
          Rear seals are available from most jewellers suppliers, what part of the world are you in? If you're in the US try Esslingers and in the UK Cousins, as far as servicing the movement goes, unless you've got experience, don't. Of all the members here there are maybe only 4 who have the knowledge to DIY, so I would suggest you develop a relationship with a watchmaker you can trust. There are clock & watchmaker associations in most developed countries who should be able to point you to someone close by.
          The most common correct bracelets for this watch will be either a branded 7 row or a branded 3 row, here's some photos.

20171009_133002 (1).jpg20171009_132131 (1).jpg
          Last edited by Tim.; 10-08-2017, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim. View Post
            Rear seals are available from most jewellers suppliers, what part of the world are you in? If you're in the US try Esslingers and in the UK Cousins, as far as servicing the movement goes, unless you've got experience, don't. Of all the members here there are maybe only 4 who have the knowledge to DIY, so I would suggest you develop a relationship with a watchmaker you can trust. There are clock & watchmaker associations in most developed countries who should be able to point you to someone close by.
            The most common correct bracelets for this watch will be either a branded 7 row or a branded 3 row, here's some photos.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23909[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]23910[/ATTACH]
            I'm near Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada, just north of North Dakota. I'll heed your advice about servicing, don't want to damage it. I like the looks of the branded 3 row... I'll keep my eye out for one. We have a local jeweler here I trust. I'll see if he has any recommendations on a local watchmaker. If there's none locally, is there anyone here you would recommend?

Comment

I'm near Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada, just north of North Dakota. I'll heed your advice about servicing, don't want to damage it. I like the looks of the branded 3 row... I'll keep my eye out for one. We have a local jeweler here I trust. I'll see if he has any recommendations on a local watchmaker. If there's none locally, is there anyone here you would recommend?
              Really? Really? How near and which direction? I am in Saskatoon. Really.

I had a really good guy here, but he is really old now and I don' trust him with everything anymore. Currently trying a couple of others.
              Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post

I had a really good guy here, but he is really old now and I don' trust him with everything anymore. Currently trying a couple of others.
                Well, congratulations Imago, it seems you live just down the road from Henry and nobody here has greater depth of knowledge on the subject of Rado. Between you and Henry I'm sure you'll find someone suitable to carry out repairs.
                You could advertise on the exchange here for a 3 row, also look on the spare parts section of eBay as they sometimes come up. If you get stuck you can pick up an aftermarket knock off for around $10 delivered from India (see photo), they even have a spring loaded clasp, good enough till you find a genuine one and very hard to tell the difference unless you look closely.

20171009_174152 (1).jpg
                Last edited by Tim.; 10-09-2017, 04:42 AM.

Comment

To be honest, I've always preferred the small clasp 3 row bracelet on a Diastar 8 but they're becoming harder and harder to find these days.

DS8 family.jpg

The large clasp 3 row shown by Tim above is a suitable alternative and a generic replacement from eBay would do until you can find the right one for the right price.
                  http://s145.photobucket.com/user/sco...deshow/Watches

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post

Great to meet you! I'm actually on an acreage near Craven, just down the road from you...

The watch arrived yesterday and looks much better in person than in the photos. I can see why they said these were scratchproof!

Here's a few new shots I took this evening.

It seems to run just fine.

It has a nice faceted crystal and push button on the winder to move the date. I couldn't find any model number inside, but it does say 25 jewels, Swiss and Rado.

The serial number on the back of the case is either "G. 817258" or "6. 817258". I thought these had 8 numbers, or is this a very early one?

Anywhere locally I can get a rear gasket, and perhaps someone to look it over?

I bought a 7 dollar band from India... I hope it fits.

Any more thoughts on the vintage of this watch? It's pretty cool!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Great to meet you! I'm actually on an acreage near Craven, just down the road from you...

The watch arrived yesterday and looks much better in person than in the photos. I can see why they said these were scratchproof!

Here's a few new shots I took this evening.

It seems to run just fine.

It has a nice faceted crystal and push button on the winder to move the date. I couldn't find any model number inside, but it does say 25 jewels, Swiss and Rado.

The serial number on the back of the case is either "G. 817258" or "6. 817258". I thought these had 8 numbers, or is this a very early one?

Anywhere locally I can get a rear gasket, and perhaps someone to look it over?

I bought a 7 dollar band from India... I hope it fits.

Any more thoughts on the vintage of this watch? It's pretty cool!
                      The dates I gave you will be about as close as we can get I'm afraid. The 8 digit codes you refer to didn't happen till around '73-'74, so maybe around 10 years after (good band) your watch. The number you're quoting is the individual case number, unique to your watch. Good news that the push button date is working, they can be problematic. If you take a close up under the balance wheel we might see the AS cal number there. It looks great though, glad you're happy with it.
                      Last edited by Tim.; 04-09-2018, 05:47 AM.

Comment

I'll look under the balance wheel for more numbers.

I understand a regular but narrow diameter o-ring will suffice for the rear gasket.

True? If so, does anyone know the exact dimensions? I can likely find one in my collection but it might be best to get a proper match.

Comment

I'll look under the balance wheel for more numbers.

I understand a regular but narrow diameter o-ring will suffice for the rear gasket.

True? If so, does anyone know the exact dimensions? I can likely find one in my collection but it might be best to get a proper match.
                          True, I don't know the exact size, I've replaced a few and they're around 27mm- 28mm dia and about .8 to 1mm thick (I have an assortment and I just try till I find a best fit). You'll find you can buy, fairly cheaply on eBay (from China, no guarantee of quality, I've used them and they seem ok) a pack of assorted sizes that will cover it. You may also want to buy a small pot of silicone grease to lightly lubricate the seals with (whatever you do don't get it in the movement though). Also Esslingen's (probably better quality),as I previously mentioned, is a good source for watchmaking supplies in your part of the world, they're in the US. I'm sure Henry will know of some local Canadian suppliers too.
                          Last edited by Tim.; 10-17-2017, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Long time no post... so... more news.

I bought a bracelet from India on eBay, not too bad for now and at least I can wear it. It's really a great looking watch.

A problem though, the second hand works fine, and it ticks away in what looks like an accurate fashion, but the hour and minute hands are very slow to move. I thought it might need a speed adjustment so I increased that but the hands are still very slow to move and it loses a ton of time, despite the second hand moving accurately.

Is this an easy fix or do I need it serviced? Henry, did you find a reputable person in Saskatoon?

Comment

Long time no post... so... more news.

I bought a bracelet from India on eBay, not too bad for now and at least I can wear it. It's really a great looking watch.

A problem though, the second hand works fine, and it ticks away in what looks like an accurate fashion, but the hour and minute hands are very slow to move. I thought it might need a speed adjustment so I increased that but the hands are still very slow to move and it loses a ton of time, despite the second hand moving accurately.

Is this an easy fix or do I need it serviced? Henry, did you find a reputable person in Saskatoon?
                              I'm pretty sure this is something to do with the cannon pinion being too tight and yes, you will need a watchmaker to fix it. Unfortunately Henry is off to the Caribbean for a couple of weeks so may be out of contact at least until he gets to wherever he's staying.

Comment

Working...
                              X