Theory for why we have DS1 and DS1/E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    I think your "E" theory is as good as any, if not better.

Yes, even a dated movement code is a valid starting point. On big production runs I have seen numerous date codes. Rado would be foolish to order all 20,000 or 50,000 movements at one go. I suspect if this theory is correct one could stll narrow production data to within, say, 5,000 units.
    I wonder what sort of yearly production totals there were at the time? Given that a single caliber could be used in various different models they may have chewed through the stock fairly quickly.

Comment

DiaStar 1 chronometer with eight digit code; ETA 2782 code 205 chrono number 8796
      DiaStar 1 chronometer without eight digit reference; AS 1902/03 with five digit chrono number 61217

Unfortunately I can't get the back off my D1/E chronometer or my other D1

I have checked the Japanese watch catalogues 1970 - 1973 but they do not differentiate between D1 and D1/E in the descriptions
      Last edited by JohnPat; 05-12-2017, 05:00 AM.
      See my collection slideshow at
      http://s629.photobucket.com/user/sca...20March%202012

Comment

And what about the Daistar 1/R ??????
        Pimpclinic.v.s.o.p.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnPat View Post
          DiaStar 1 chronometer with eight digit code; ETA 2782 code 205 chrono number 8796
          DiaStar 1 chronometer without eight digit reference; AS 1902/03 with five digit chrono number 61217

Unfortunately I can't get the back off my D1/E chronometer or my other D1

I have checked the Japanese watch catalogues 1970 - 1973 but they do not differentiate between D1 and D1/E in the descriptions
          Thanks John. Ok, well this is the overlap that will help confirm what Henry says about the date code, this is an 8 digit ref with May '72 date code. All good still for the "E" theory as the non eight digit is still sporting an AS. Note: What does the /03 in the AS cal no. represent? Very big chrono number. Is it issued to the watch or the movement manufacturer?
          Last edited by Tim.; 05-12-2017, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pimpclinic.v.s.o.p. View Post
            And what about the Daistar 1/R ??????
            I don't know Marcus, have you some details to share?

Comment

Please check the pics at the Diastar numbers thread.
              Pimpclinic.v.s.o.p.

Comment

Originally posted by pimpclinic.v.s.o.p. View Post
                Please check the pics at the Diastar numbers thread.
                Ok Marcus, I'll follow up tomorrow. Please remember though that this thread was about finding a reason for the "E" not the "R". That being said I am interested to know why there's a DS1/R.
                Last edited by Tim.; 05-12-2017, 07:02 AM.

Comment

I cannot see why the 1/R shouldn´t be mentioned in the same context; It´s a classic DS1, it has a slash behind the 1 and it has a AS 1700 movement..
                  Pimpclinic.v.s.o.p.

Comment

BTW. i found this Diastar 1 with a ETA 2782 in my back stock, check the pics:

Pimpclinic.v.s.o.p.

Comment

Well Marcus, unless that case back has been changed, which is possible although unlikely, that's the end of the ball game. Interesting though ,that one also has the wider flat section on the bezel like my 1/E.
                      I had a look at your DS1/R and the only thing that I can think of is that it may be their earliest model using Swarovski Rhinestones and perhaps that's what the "R" is for.
                      Last edited by Tim.; 05-12-2017, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim. View Post
                        Note: What does the /03 in the AS cal no. represent? Very big chrono number. Is it issued to the watch or the movement manufacturer?
                        Hi Tim,
                        I can answer this question:
                        AS 1903 is an AS 1902 with date. They use the same base plate, I believe, so it is marked as 1902/03. This is also seen on AS 1700/01 in some Rados (such as my 56-H below).

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...&2uswk&AS_1902
                        http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...&2uswk&AS_1903

Chronometer # at left, caliber number at right:

I should clarify, too, that what I call a chronometer number is just a movement number. It's not really a serial number (as other movements in the production series were not necessarily numbered sequentially), and it wasn't issued by the certifying body (to my knowledge). It is simply a common requirement that all movements submitted for chronometer testing/certification must be numbered. I expect two mfrs could submit movements using the same number, and the testing facility would differentiate them in testing, and on the certificates, by the name of manufacturer, caliber # and other dissimilarities.
                        Last edited by Watch Carefully; 05-12-2017, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
                          Probably. I am not wearing my contact or my glasses and I really need both to see that.
                          I know this stupid problem ...
                          Best regards, Mike
                          vintage-rado.de

Comment

Thanks Brad, good to know.

Comment

Hi!

I´m completely with Henry about the time code being for the movement, not for the watch. Anything else doesn´t make sense.
                              The time code mark as well as the other Rado marks (Rado, jewels´account, Rado-R with additional Rado caliber no.) were clearly done by Rado, who did the finishing, decorating and assembling of the raw movement parts from ETA inhouse. It was done while finishing and assembling the movement parts to complete movements.

This is a Rado R 2797 = ETA 2783, timecode 407 (July 1974):

ETA 2783 DiaStar 1E.jpg

This is for compare an Enicar AR 2167 = ETA 2789-1.
                              Enicar did the same and you can see the differences in finishing (both are gold plated with 25 jewels) - different rotor decorating, no decoration on the bridges and less polished, no additional caliber mark, instead they grinded the ETA-mark under the balance wheel away and replaced it by their own caliber no.:

Enicar 2789-1 a.jpg Enical 2789-1 b.jpg
                              Last edited by mike184; 05-12-2017, 06:47 PM.
                              Best regards, Mike
                              vintage-rado.de

Comment

Compatibility

Hi!

Another question while comparing DS 1 and DS 1/E models here is the compatibility of parts.
                                Which shows up 2 new questions:

Are the DS 1 and the DS 1/E backs interchangeable?
                                It would be nice if s.o. owing both models from the same time period could try that.

Are the movements of the DS 1 and the DS 1/E interchangeable?

Just one of those would easily explain some exceptions, e.g. a DS 1 with ETA 2782, which also could be a DS 1/E with DS 1 back.
                                As we all know, the Dr. Frankensteins are less interested in authenticity than we are. I have a DS 1/E in my register with an AS 1858 but can´t find archive pics of that (a lot of my pics were gone when my HDD once crashed - no stupid comments about backups, please ). But though I still believe in the "1/ETA-theory".
                                The second question is already answered, I think - I own a DS 1 with second generation case (springbars still in TC, octagonal bayonet case back) with a nice ETA 2836-2 inside, which hadn´t been made before 1982.
                                Though it´s obviously a Franken, I love this watch and wear it from time to time.

0 DiaStar 1 b.jpg

DiaStar 1 back.jpg

DiaStar 1 ETA case side.jpgDiaStar 1 ETA ETA 2836-2.jpg
                                Last edited by mike184; 05-12-2017, 06:54 PM.
                                Best regards, Mike
                                vintage-rado.de

Comment

Working...
                                X