Grooved Balboa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grooved Balboa

Came across this one on that Japanese watch collectors repair blog. The carbide has been machined. He thinks its possibly been made in Hong Kong.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tim.; 04-02-2017, 05:43 PM.

Originally posted by Tim. View Post
    Came across this one on that Japanese watch collectors repair blog. The carbide has been machined. He thinks its possibly been made in Hong Kong.
    My watch has been rediscovered. It is not machined. It would be impossible to machine with the various depths and cuts on the case which are not straight. The design was made before the case was hardened. It is pretty cool and the only one I am aware of. Somewhere on the site I have posted photos in the past.

If this seller has another for sale, I suggest that somebody jump on it because they are beyond rare.

Rado Balboa Unusual Case 4.jpg

Rado Balboa Unusual Case 1.jpg

Rado Balboa Unusual Case 2.jpg

BTW, I see some very familiar looking watches on that site. Hmmmm...

I believe this Balboa quartz that I have may have been machined, but not sure about that either -

Rado Balboa Quartz 3.jpg
    Last edited by Woodlands1; 04-02-2017, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woodlands1 View Post
      My watch has been rediscovered. It is not machined. It would be impossible to machine with the various depths and cuts on the case which are not straight. The design was made before the case was hardened. It is pretty cool and the only one I am aware of. Somewhere on the site I have posted photos in the past.

If this seller has another for sale, I suggest that somebody jump on it because they are beyond rare.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22879[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22880[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22881[/ATTACH]

I believe this Balboa quartz that I have may have been machined, but not sure about that either -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22882[/ATTACH]
      No Miles, unfortunately none for sale. That particular blog was about repairing one similar to yours above but with a gold dial and he also has one the same as your black one with the RN's. He's obviously re published your photo as an earlier example of similar patterning. Here's a link to the blog. https://translate.google.com.au/tran...ml&prev=search
      Last edited by Tim.; 04-02-2017, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Tim. View Post
          No Miles, unfortunately none for sale. That particular blog was about repairing one similar to yours above but with a gold dial and he also has one the same as your black one with the RN's. He's obviously re published your photo as an earlier example of similar patterning. Here's a link to the blog. https://translate.google.com.au/tran...ml&prev=search
          Checking the site he has worked on some very nice watches. I believe I do recognize a few of the watches he shows. I suspect there are a few in the hands of members on this forum.

He must buy, repair and then sell the watches. He alludes to a stock of vintage Rado parts.

Comment

I have going in bidding wars with that guy. I think he is a collector that from time to tim sells some or his watches
            https://www.instagram.com/the_rado_collector/

Comment

Originally posted by pecardoso View Post
              I have going in bidding wars with that guy. I think he is a collector that from time to tim sells some or his watches
              Maybe he is collector. I sure wish I could speak Japanese.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22879[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22880[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22881[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22882[/ATTACH]
                I bet it's real. My understanding of machining sintered tc is basically don't. I think one can sort of grind it with diamond cutting tools, but it is difficult and expensive. On the other hand it is pretty easy to work with when it is raw.
                Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
                  I bet it's real. My understanding of machining sintered tc is basically don't. I think one can sort of grind it with diamond cutting tools, but it is difficult and expensive. On the other hand it is pretty easy to work with when it is raw.
                  The thing that seals the deal for me is that it has the same coating in the groves as on the rest of the watch. I believe if you cut into the case you won't have the coating but the dull color of the TC.

Comment

Cool concept but I think the bracelet choices need to be rethunk for this look.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
                      The thing that seals the deal for me is that it has the same coating in the groves as on the rest of the watch. I believe if you cut into the case you won't have the coating but the dull color of the TC.
                      The machining of TC is definitely possible, saw blades are routinely re-sharpened all over the world every day. However, as Miles says, in this case the machined TC would require re-polishing afterwards, which is also possible, but from a cost perspective unlikely. I imagine that if you were to approach this as a manufacturer you would be casting the cases in moulds, so it may also be possible they made up a special set for this run, thus allowing them to make multiple uniformly identical cases.
                      Last edited by Tim.; 04-03-2017, 07:47 PM.

Comment

balboa1000x1000.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by cantagiro2008 View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]23370[/ATTACH]

Thank you for posting this, although I can't read the script, I can see that they were quite expensive in 1978.

Comment

Thanx to Japan for the picture!
                            Thatīs very interesting and also dates the Diastar Quartz Digital LCD Chronograph.

Of course, TC-cases can be machined. But with diamond-tipped tools only. And thatīs expensive.
                            So be sure the case had been pressed into a form with that "groovy design" before ist was "baken".
                            And diamond-tipped tools were only used for polishing the final case, the coloured ones before and maybe after PVD-coating.
                            In 1978, Rado and itīs case suppliers had made experiences with the manufacturing of TC-cases for nearly 20 years and were able
                            to create more complicating designs in compare to the first DiaStars in 1962.
                            The Elegance SR-D is another example for these advanced options:

0 Elegance SR_D a.jpg
                            Last edited by mike184; 06-01-2017, 02:59 AM.
                            Best regards, Mike
                            vintage-rado.de

Comment

Finally I got this RADO.
                              http://blog.livedoor.jp/horimachitok.../54657534.html

Earlier, once I wrote to this thread, I can not write to this forum.

Did I violate any of the terms and conditions?
                              My previous name was cantagiro2008.
                              http://www.equationoftime.com/forums...-cantagiro2008

I'm not good at English.
                              I can not reply.

I think that the cause is that I can not reply.
                              Last edited by horimachitokei; 05-19-2019, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X