Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rado 'caliber numbers' vs base calibers...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by mike184 View Post
    Hi Tim!

    None of my ETA 2824 Rados wears a reference number, the Limmat V wears neither a reference nor a case number.
    All of the backs are in good condition, so itīs impossible that a number had been polished away.
    I understand Mike, I'm not suggesting they all have model numbers, I have discovered that 3 of mine do but they are in the minority, most however, will have case numbers and if people can post them it will help to complete the picture. I have put this spreadsheet into a new thread as this one is getting too cumbersome.
    Last edited by Tim.; 05-23-2017, 07:57 PM.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Tim. View Post
      I understand Mike, I'm not suggesting they all have model numbers, I have discovered that 3 of mine do but they are in the minority, most however, will have case numbers and if people can post them it will help to complete the picture. I have put this spreadsheet into a new thread as this one is getting too cumbersome.
      I just wanted to let you know that you received all of the data I can supply.
      Best regards, Mike
      vintage-rado.de

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by mike184 View Post
        I just wanted to let you know that you received all of the data I can supply.
        Thanks Mike, I've decided to just copy all of this data and dump it into a spreadsheet, so if members want to fill in the spaces over time or add to it they can.

        Comment


        • #49
          Just an update to link this thread to a related one.

          See some more recent comments on this topic here:
          http://www.equationoftime.com/forums...highlight=code

          Note, I have added this thread to the Rado Resource Thread also.
          Brad

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
            Just an update to link this thread to a related one.

            See some more recent comments on this topic here:
            http://www.equationoftime.com/forums...highlight=code

            Note, I have added this thread to the Rado Resource Thread also.
            Brad
            Too funny Brad.

            I sent Tim a private message about this thread just last night/this morning. I intended to link to it in the resource thread and thought Tim has started this thread, so I couldn't find it.
            Solve all your doubts through question mode.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
              Too funny Brad.

              I sent Tim a private message about this thread just last night/this morning. I intended to link to it in the resource thread and thought Tim has started this thread, so I couldn't find it.
              After seeing what you added earlier, I thought it would make a nice connection!
              Thanks!

              Comment


              • #52
                Gents, We've seen watches with 3-digit numbers on the dial, e.g. Matterhorn 705.
                Is it possible these numbers in the model name are akin to the movement codes, meaning a 705 is a May 1977 model?
                It doesn't make a lot of sense, using this date format in a model name, but stranger things have happened.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
                  Gents, We've seen watches with 3-digit numbers on the dial, e.g. Matterhorn 705.
                  Is it possible these numbers in the model name are akin to the movement codes, meaning a 705 is a May 1977 model?
                  It doesn't make a lot of sense, using this date format in a model name, but stranger things have happened.
                  Not sure Brad, it seems odd to name a model after one months production. Also it appears there are 2 different designs of this same model and they're quite different from each other. It could refer to the design of the dials, two wide plain panels with 3 decorated panels, as opposed to the lines linking the markers found on the other Matterhorns that use that case. Perhaps these dials were designed in May '77. It is of course possible that the yellow one is a redial, although the dial, case and crystal are all in a similar state which tends to make it look genuine. What we need as always is to call upon the members to post known examples of this practice, if we can get more data, perhaps the date codes of the movements from some of these watches and see if that sheds any light on it. They may not all mean the same thing either. Tridents for example. 100, 200 etc. Then there's Cape Horn 280, 300, 1000 and others that are just numbers 999, 222 etc. As always with Rado , it will be hard to pin down but data is the key.


                  .

                  .

                  .
                  Last edited by Tim.; 03-18-2020, 12:01 AM.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Good points, all of them. I'm just taking a stab in the dark with this...I would hesitate to call it a theory.

                    I recall other models with 702 or 703 on the dial and always wondered what the heck it meant. The fact we know 403 means 3rd month of 1974 just seemed like too much of a coincidence if other watches use similar 3-digit numbers.

                    Happy to be proven wrong,
                    B

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Don't forget the Marco Polo 747, which I always assumed referenced the new aircraft which first entered service in 1970 with Pan Am.
                      See my collection slideshow at
                      http://s629.photobucket.com/user/sca...20March%202012

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X