• Show
Clear All

• AS 1858-question cleared

Hi!

After this post
    Originally posted by mike184 View Post
    Hi!

An AS 1858 exists, I have one in my early DiaStar:

Unfortunately, it is not listed in the online registers. I will ask in a german forum to clear that. Sure is that the AS 1858 was used a little bit later than the AS 1700, e.g. in the chronometers it had been used from 1968 on as replacement of the 1701. So your watch is maybe a few years younger than we thought.
    I asked in the swiss Watch Time forum for infos about the AS 1858. The answer from Roland Ranfft came very quick as you can see. Hereīs the translation:

"The AS 1858 belongs to a product family having been produced just for a short interim period, so itīs not an accident that itīs still missing in my register. Even in the Flume K3, a picture of it is missing.
    Technically it meets the forerunner AS 1713 but has already the higher beat(21.600 a/h) of the follow-up AS 1903.
    There are no relevant differences between those three movements. Probably all or most of the parts are replaceable inner these versions.
    Your picture(of the Diastar above) is a proof for that: The automatic-bridge is definitely from the AS 1903 or a later version and though it seems to fit."

So I think the AS 1858-question is cleared now, the AS 1859 is probably just a variation of the AS 1858. Thanx to Roland.
    Best regards, Mike
    vintage-rado.de

Awesome detective work, thanks.

We need the sherlock-smiley, complete with deerstalker and meerschaum pipe for you...

Comment

Originally posted by Schlaa View Post
      Awesome detective work, thanks.

We need the sherlock-smiley, complete with deerstalker and meerschaum pipe for you...
      Best regards, Mike
      vintage-rado.de

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
        Judging by the model number and the movement, I would guess it is from 1968. Mike, I expect the 1858 is the date-only version and the 1859 a day/date. I'll have to check my records...
        Brad
        Hi!

Who owns watches with AS 1859? Do they have day/date?
        Best regards, Mike
        vintage-rado.de

Comment

Hi Mike, Off the top of my head I have a World Travel, some Starliners, a Captain Cook, some Manhattans, a Purple Horse Daymaster all with the AS 1859 movement. Has the day and date. Not a quick change movement. You have to wind forward to change the date, but to synchronise the day and date you have to wind back the day and wind forward. Jay has recommended against this method of changing the date, which I agree with. But to synchronise the day and date it is the only way. A major flaw in this movement according to Jay. Around the mid 1960s. A common movement used by Rado and Jparts are still available.
          I agree with Brad the AS1858 is the date only version.
          Regards,
          ke
          I'm so sick and tired of my friends who can't handle their alcohol. The other night they dropped me three times while carrying me to the car

Comment

Thanx, Ken!

So AS 1858 is date only and AS 1859 is day/date, like Brad assumed.
            Best regards, Mike
            vintage-rado.de

Comment

Hey Mike, on Jules Borel at http://www.julesborel.com/ this is the info:
              AS 1858
              21,600 BPH-25JL-DSS-AUTO-CALD-ADJ-STUD HOLDER
              AS 1859
              21,600 BPH 25JL DSS AUTO CAL DAY-DATE

Parts are still available.
              Regards,
              ken
              I'm so sick and tired of my friends who can't handle their alcohol. The other night they dropped me three times while carrying me to the car

Comment

Working...
              X