Need help identifying a Rado - Ref.11759/1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help identifying a Rado - Ref.11759/1

This watch apparently belonged to my great grandfather. The pics look worse than the watch really looks, dial appears OK, but the crystal needs replacing.

Any info appreciated.

BTW, if I were to have this restored, anybody have a recommendation for a good place to have this serviced? Not sure if there are any watchmakers in Miami.

Thanks, all
    Last edited by Watch Carefully; 11-25-2019, 12:53 PM. Reason: added Ref.11759/1 to title

Originally posted by notwerk View Post
    This watch apparently belonged to my great grandfather. The pics look worse than the watch really looks, dial appears OK, but the crystal needs replacing.

Any info appreciated.

BTW, if I were to have this restored, anybody have a recommendation for a good place to have this serviced? Not sure if there are any watchmakers in Miami.

Thanks, all
    I would guess that your watch is one of the first produced with the rotating red Rado Anchor. Many of the early models, both mechanical and automatic, were 17 jewel movements.

Obviously, there is no "name" on the dial, yet the case and dial are very similar to the early Horse models. The Cyclops Eye was also a feature on many of the early models.

The watch band is not original to the watch.

I could be wrong, but I doubt I am too far off. If you have a five digit number on the rear case of the watch, please post the number and our resident expert (Brad) with Rado models numbers may be able to provide additional information.

Comment

Hi & welcome!

This is a Rado Automatic from the beginning 1960īs, no special name, it probably has an AS 1700 movement with 17 jewels. If it runs well, you should leave it as is, if not bring it to an old school watchmaker for COA. gatorcpa is from Miami and wrote me he knows one, so just ask him by email or PM. Itīs nothing extraordinary but a fine classical Rado and surely of high personal value as you got it from your great grandfather.
      Before changing the acrylic or Plexiglass-crystal you should try to remove the scratches by polishing, wich is very easy(see my thread here). The flexible band is typical for that time but a matter of taste, IMHO the watch would look much better with a fine leather band or a bracelet.
      Best regards, Mike
      vintage-rado.de

Comment

You're right, the bracelet is not original. I'll try to get a good shot of the caseback. Thanks for all the information

Comment

Some more shots. My dSLR is in need or repair, please forgive the quality of these shots.

Info from the case back (Two sea-horses, "water-sealed," which I suppose is fairly common).

G32470533
          Ref.11759/1

Case Pat.
          +343942

Symbol Pat.
          +345802

Again, thanks

Comment

Hi!

Have a look near the balance-wheel whih no. is engraved there into the movement. Itīs an AS, but it doesnīt seem to be a 1700.
            Best regards, Mike
            vintage-rado.de

Comment

It's very hard to read, but it appears to say 1858. I'm sort of guessing on the 5, though. I misplaced my loupe and had to use a standard magnifying glass.

Comment

Hi!

An AS 1858 exists, I have one in my early DiaStar:

Unfortunately, it is not listed in the online registers. I will ask in a german forum to clear that. Sure is that the AS 1858 was used a little bit later than the AS 1700, e.g. in the chronometers it had been used from 1968 on as replacement of the 1701. So your watch is maybe a few years younger than we thought.
                Last edited by mike184; 08-28-2008, 08:51 AM.
                Best regards, Mike
                vintage-rado.de

Comment

Judging by the model number and the movement, I would guess it is from 1968. Mike, I expect the 1858 is the date-only version and the 1859 a day/date. I'll have to check my records...
                  Brad

Comment

I'd agree with Miles it looks like an early horse/president Rado. But something looks odd about this watch. The dial looks repainted and the bezel looks ill-fitting - too narrow - look at the gap between the bezel and the lug. Is that signs of glue of the bezel. I've come across a number of these early Rados with the bezels off and some cracked. Perhaps this bezel was replaced with a non-Rado bezel.
                    But these early Rados had AS 17XX and AS 19XX movements. The AS 1858/9 movements came later with the World Travels, Starliners, Captain Cooks, Manhattans, etc. (see the discussion on these movements by Jay, et al in previous posts and the flaws in these movements). Hmmm ...
                    Regards,
                    ken
                    I'm so sick and tired of my friends who can't handle their alcohol. The other night they dropped me three times while carrying me to the car

Comment

Follow-up post. A new member contacted me about his 11759. I found only this post.

For future reference, there was also a gold-plated version, numbered 11760. This happens to be an 11760/1, which probably has a later AS movement.:

s-l1600.jpg

Comment

That would be me that Brad is referring to.... I don't have the watch yet but will post pics once it arrives. If anyone has the anchor, it looks like mine is missing.

Oddly, this is the very thread that I found that led me to Brad that led to me joining the forum!

More to come from me on this watch. This is my first Rado so looking forward to this watch and more???

Comment

Working...
                        X