The Fun Factor...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fun Factor...

I've noticed an interesting trend among Collectors my age that have been in the
    game for a long time. Many, like me, who have been lucky enough to buy whatever
    they wanted, seem to have moved back to the middle tier of watches. Not low end,
    but not high end either. When quizzed, their answers seem to boil down to..."The
    middle tier is where all the creativity and FUN is."

I know this has happened to me, and now I know that I'm not alone.

$.02

Kurt
    "So Many Watches / So Little Time"

Actually, Kurt, what you said is a reflection of why we collect watches - creativity and fun. However, you left out my biggest interest, the thrill of the chase.

Since i left the military, I've been up and down several times, so I could never just go out and buy whatever I wanted. I always said my money went first to family needs; two boys in college, for instance. However, I was fortunate enough to have a friend that ran a high end preowned jewelry and watch shop. Like me, he enjoyed the hunt and doing deals. Over thirty years, I've owned some very interesting and rare pieces, then passed them on for something else. There's and old saw that says, "If you can't own them all at once, you can own them one at a time." So true. Running through this is the notion that there was as much fun to be had at the mid line (+/- $1000) as anywhere. For the last ten years that's where I've been. Perfectly happy, too.

So call me weird.

George
    Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Comment

Originally posted by George W. Olney View Post
      Actually, Kurt, what you said is a reflection of why we collect watches - creativity and fun. However, you left out my biggest interest, the thrill of the chase.

Since i left the military, I've been up and down several times, so I could never just go out and buy whatever I wanted. I always said my money went first to family needs; two boys in college, for instance. However, I was fortunate enough to have a friend that ran a high end preowned jewelry and watch shop. Like me, he enjoyed the hunt and doing deals. Over thirty years, I've owned some very interesting and rare pieces, then passed them on for something else. There's and old saw that says, "If you can't own them all at once, you can own them one at a time." So true. Running through this is the notion that there was as much fun to be had at the mid line (+/- $1000) as anywhere. For the last ten years that's where I've been. Perfectly happy, too.

So call me weird.

George
      I agree, and the thrill of the hunt is there at all price levels.

Thank George.

Comment

Gents,
        I have to say that I am sort of like George - ups and downs, but mostly ups. I love the line "If you can't own them all at once, you can own them one at a time." I was also fortunate to have a great watch shop in the area who has helped immensely over the years.

I mostly bought what grabbed my fancy at the time. I have to say that a number of those were following you Kurt! The red Campanola was one, a Seiko spring drive, and I am sure there were probably at least 5-6 others.

I would guess that I have bought at least 50 and maybe 100 watches for myself since the late 1990s. I have 3 boys so they end up with most of my "used to be favorites". My #2 son especially loves watches so I took him with me to see RGM's work once and meet with Roland, Rich, etc. at an NWACC get-together. We had a blast. That son got my gold Omega. I don't know which of them will end up with the RGMs.

Thanks for the thoughtful thread.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by CBM_DOC View Post
          Gents,
          I have to say that I am sort of like George - ups and downs, but mostly ups. I love the line "If you can't own them all at once, you can own them one at a time." I was also fortunate to have a great watch shop in the area who has helped immensely over the years.

I mostly bought what grabbed my fancy at the time. I have to say that a number of those were following you Kurt! The red Campanola was one, a Seiko spring drive, and I am sure there were probably at least 5-6 others.

I would guess that I have bought at least 50 and maybe 100 watches for myself since the late 1990s. I have 3 boys so they end up with most of my "used to be favorites". My #2 son especially loves watches so I took him with me to see RGM's work once and meet with Roland, Rich, etc. at an NWACC get-together. We had a blast. That son got my gold Omega. I don't know which of them will end up with the RGMs.

Thanks for the thoughtful thread.

Dave
          That's great Dave. How do I get adopted into your family?

:-)

Comment

I agree with what's been posted already. I think any one of us that has more than one watch is fortunate. I have always tried to find the watches I want at good prices - always looking for "the deal". Sometimes I got lucky and got great deals. Often, I ended up selling them and wishing I hadn't. Sometimes, I sold them to pay bills, so that was a good thing to be able to do..

I pretty much know what I want now and I am much more picky about what I buy, so not as many impulse buys.. I've never been able to get the really top end watches, but have often had the midline watches and still have some of those. The top end of mine is the Sea-Dweller, so not too top end. I still want a vintage PloProf 600m, a Tutima Grand Classic Chrono, a Panerai Sub, and some others.

There is plenty of fun in the mid-tier for sure.

Comment

I like your wish list Mike.

Comment

Functionality, and how much I like it is what gets me sold on a watch, never the price whether low, mid range or high end. Of course, there is 'stupid money' high end that doesn't make sense and I think I would never go that route even if I could afford to.
                TKite,
                Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

When I went beyond the point of owning watches to being what I suppose we here are referring to as a hobbyist (inspired by the watches of my youth in the 60's) finding something new (old) was exciting. There was a period where I had great "wants," the getting of which was never as great as the desire. Letting go of that and returning to what first inspired me, and realizing the older I get the more I need to pare back has been good. Selling to someone as excited to get a watch is almost as much fun as getting it. I've sold a couple watches some years after someone asked me if I would ever sell it. One of these buyers sent me a note a few weeks back saying how much he appreciated it.
                  My second interest in this is the engineering, craft and functionality. Kurt's fairly recent foray into the high tech g-shocks has been a vicarious thrill. Just today I meant a young fellow who had one of the nautical G-shock you posted.
                  And the best part is the best part of anything interesting, the interesting people you meet, who expand my horizons, let me see things anew, and discover new delights.

Comment

Originally posted by mosswood View Post
                    When I went beyond the point of owning watches to being what I suppose we here are referring to as a hobbyist (inspired by the watches of my youth in the 60's) finding something new (old) was exciting. There was a period where I had great "wants," the getting of which was never as great as the desire. Letting go of that and returning to what first inspired me, and realizing the older I get the more I need to pare back has been good. Selling to someone as excited to get a watch is almost as much fun as getting it. I've sold a couple watches some years after someone asked me if I would ever sell it. One of these buyers sent me a note a few weeks back saying how much he appreciated it.
                    My second interest in this is the engineering, craft and functionality. Kurt's fairly recent foray into the high tech g-shocks has been a vicarious thrill. Just today I meant a young fellow who had one of the nautical G-shock you posted.
                    And the best part is the best part of anything interesting, the interesting people you meet, who expand my horizons, let me see things anew, and discover new delights.
                    Couldn't agree more, thanks.

Kurt

Comment

Working...
                    X