So guys here we go >>>

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So guys here we go >>>

Maybe i should know the answer to this question but can i wear one of my favourite watches which is 30M Water Resistant in the shower?
    Any info will be appreciated and also is it ok for use in the rain?

Thanks and have a happy new year all.

Depends on who you ask, Mark.

At least one well known watchmaker on the forums states something along the lines of, 'well respected watch brands are properly water resistant to depth rating'.

Others believe that a 30M water resistance just equates to being splash proof. For example, a shower would not be good, although you might get away with it a few times. Rain or brief immersions in water shouldn't be an issue. Note, heat from hot water can have adverse effects on water resistance too.

My Navitimer is only rated to 30Ms, but the manual says to avoid water, probably because that slide rule bezel provides an extra way for water to enter if the gasket is old or fails.

Happy New Year!
    JP

They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

Originally posted by JP(Canada) View Post
      Depends on who you ask, Mark.

At least one well known watchmaker on the forums states something along the lines of, 'well respected watch brands are properly water resistant to depth rating'.

Others believe that a 30M water resistance just equates to being splash proof. For example, a shower would not be good, although you might get away with it a few times. Rain or brief immersions in water shouldn't be an issue. Note, heat from hot water can have adverse effects on water resistance too.

My Navitimer is only rated to 30Ms, but the manual says to avoid water, probably because that slide rule bezel provides an extra way for water to enter if the gasket is old or fails.

Happy New Year!
      Ah thanks for the info

Comment

Here's my opinion from my experience. When I got my first watch that was 100m WR, the Citizen's America's Cup Sailing Watch, I wore it in the shower every day - never took it off. Yes, it was 100m WR, so the shower did not hurt it from a WR perspective, but the heat, soaps, shampoos, etc., I believe took a toll on the rubber strap - broke every 6 months or so - got brittle. The other issue of wearing watches while showering is all the soap scum and gunk really accumulates on the watch in the crevices. I no longer wear watches in the shower for these reasons. I believe that repeated watch wearing in the shower will also ruin gaskets.

Now, as to the 30m WR question, I used to swim with my Tissot Ballade Chronograph, which does not have a screw down crown, nor screw down pushers. I swam with it every day and had no issues. I wouldn't do that now because I have many 200m+ watches and I'd use one of them.

Not sure what the benefit of wearing a watch in the shower is - I believe I did it because I could - the novelty of a water proof watch. Now, I wouldn't think of doing that.

For what it's worth, those are my thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          Here's my opinion from my experience. When I got my first watch that was 100m WR, the Citizen's America's Cup Sailing Watch, I wore it in the shower every day - never took it off. Yes, it was 100m WR, so the shower did not hurt it from a WR perspective, but the heat, soaps, shampoos, etc., I believe took a toll on the rubber strap - broke every 6 months or so - got brittle. The other issue of wearing watches while showering is all the soap scum and gunk really accumulates on the watch in the crevices. I no longer wear watches in the shower for these reasons. I believe that repeated watch wearing in the shower will also ruin gaskets.

Now, as to the 30m WR question, I used to swim with my Tissot Ballade Chronograph, which does not have a screw down crown, nor screw down pushers. I swam with it every day and had no issues. I wouldn't do that now because I have many 200m+ watches and I'd use one of them.

Not sure what the benefit of wearing a watch in the shower is - I believe I did it because I could - the novelty of a water proof watch. Now, I wouldn't think of doing that.

For what it's worth, those are my thoughts.
          Sound wisdom...
          "So Many Watches / So Little Time"

Comment

My opinion is that if it says it's good to 30 meters depth, it should be good to that - or else don't put it on the dial or case back. I think there should be stricter regulations on that so watch companies cannot worm out of it if their watch fails in the shower or taking a swim. I always wore my Rolex in the shower and washed it right along with myself. Every month however, my Rolex got a personal bath - in a plastic container with warm water and dawn dish soap - putting a bit more soap directly on the links and then letting it soak about 15 minutes in the water. Rinse off and dry. You should have seen the dirt coming out of the links from the dish soap with it's emulsifiers!

TKite,
            Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Originally posted by TKite View Post
              My opinion is that if it says it's good to 30 meters depth, it should be good to that - or else don't put it on the dial or case back. I think there should be stricter regulations on that so watch companies cannot worm out of it if their watch fails in the shower or taking a swim. I always wore my Rolex in the shower and washed it right along with myself. Every month however, my Rolex got a personal bath - in a plastic container with warm water and dawn dish soap - putting a bit more soap directly on the links and then letting it soak about 15 minutes in the water. Rinse off and dry. You should have seen the dirt coming out of the links from the dish soap with it's emulsifiers!

I wash my diver watches with dish soap and use an old toothbrush to get in all the crevices.

Comment

What Mike D & TKite said!

As for washing, I have run a number of my dive washes through a commercial dish washer when I worked in kitchens. I never saw ill effects.

Comment

Occasionally I do it, but what it does to seals, is unknown of course.

I often buy used watches: When I receive one (waterproof) watch, I always use some house hold degreaser, especially on lugs and bracelet links. Some people really send a dirty watch in! Don't want their dirt op my wrist! Degreaser works wonders, in minutes it dissolved old sweat and grease and even when brushed with a small nail brush it works even better, especially bracelets! Should see the black dirt coming out of it! After rising with cold water and dried carefully with soft cloth or when really clean, a dry towel, it is fresh again!

Comment

Working...
                  X