X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watch Carefully
    replied
    Originally posted by TKite View Post
    Wipe the metal with mustard and it will patina quickly. Let it set for an hour and wash off.
    Thanks, T. I'm planning just to let this one age naturally--I'm curious to observe the process.
    I even refrained from dipping it in the Chesapeake bay last weekend...not sure why.
    Sometimes I defy my own logic.

Leave a comment:

• TKite
    replied
    Wipe the metal with mustard and it will patina quickly. Let it set for an hour and wash off.

Leave a comment:

• Watch Carefully
    replied
    Just a quick update...the patina is setting in:

And I obtained a bronze buckle (it came on a Nato).

Leave a comment:

• Tim.
    replied
    and for an even better price from the Steeldive Store, where despite what Steve says, they're not sold out. STEELDIVE 1954 Dive Watch NH35A Sapphire Crystal Diver Watch 200m
    Last edited by Tim.; 10-04-2020, 01:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• kurt48
    replied
    On sale Saturday Night...

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/f...arine.5241923/

Leave a comment:

• Markkershaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
    Thanks for that assessment, George. Much appreciated.
    I'll throw in my two cents, as a very new owner of a similar product.

Like George, I bought a sterile version which ticked these boxes for me:
    • Bronze
    • Classic FF looks
    • Durable
    • Low price
    So, for a couple hundred clams, I obtained a Fifty-Fathoms tribute in a bronze case, with a (claimed) Seiko NH35A movement. I would expect, as it appears that Helson and some other brands use this same MFR, it will last a while and be serviceable if needed. I've only had it on the wrist for a few hours, and have also hand-wound it (a nice change for Seiko-powered divers, IMO), and put it on the timer. Not too bad:

+9 seconds or so with a good beat rate--perhaps this will improve with consistent use, but it's not far off expectation. I suppose I could break in and regulate it, if being a minute off every week gets to me. I did not test in multiple positions yet, so I may find it does OK on the wrist, or can be stored dial down or crown up overnight to lose some of the time it gains. Observation is called for.

For the price, though, it's a solid piece. I could do without the OEM NATO strap (I don't want to add height to an already thick watch by putting a layer of fabric beneath it) and immediately switched it to a leather one...and I've ordered a bronze buckle to fit it. The cheap plastic storage box will be useful, perhaps, but I'd prefer to be rid of the box and NATO and have them deliver a more appealing strap option for the same price.

One complaint I have is the YELLOW. At a distance, or at small magnification, there appears to be vintage lume (think Radium) which is wholly appropriate for the style. Up close, there a fake sort of yellow hue that is disappointing:

At a glance, on the wrist, it's not as glaring. I can live with it.
    Under low-light conditions, all the yellow turns to white-blue/green as shown:

Again, acceptable.
    The construction of the case appears substantial and good quality.

My last comment is this (and hearkens back to George's caveat of knowing what you are buying). I thought I did know...I thought I was buying an un-branded version of a watch that Helson, STEELDIVE and others also offer. What I got is a STEELDIVE with no name on the dial. The box, hangtag, caseback, all have STEELDIVE branding. That's fine, too...but I either was inattentive, or the advertising was intentionally misleading.

For the money, I'm really pleased. This is a design I like, and it's my first bronze watch, so I am keen to observe the patina setting in.
    I have no qualms about calling it a beater, though I'm not sure how much abuse it will get (when working on my cars or bicycle or using power tools, I generally remove a watch), so it may look pretty nice for quite some time.
    Brad
    Nice one.

Leave a comment:

• Watch Carefully
    replied
    Thanks for that assessment, George. Much appreciated.
    I'll throw in my two cents, as a very new owner of a similar product.

Like George, I bought a sterile version which ticked these boxes for me:
    • Bronze
    • Classic FF looks
    • Durable
    • Low price
    So, for a couple hundred clams, I obtained a Fifty-Fathoms tribute in a bronze case, with a (claimed) Seiko NH35A movement. I would expect, as it appears that Helson and some other brands use this same MFR, it will last a while and be serviceable if needed. I've only had it on the wrist for a few hours, and have also hand-wound it (a nice change for Seiko-powered divers, IMO), and put it on the timer. Not too bad:

+9 seconds or so with a good beat rate--perhaps this will improve with consistent use, but it's not far off expectation. I suppose I could break in and regulate it, if being a minute off every week gets to me. I did not test in multiple positions yet, so I may find it does OK on the wrist, or can be stored dial down or crown up overnight to lose some of the time it gains. Observation is called for.

For the price, though, it's a solid piece. I could do without the OEM NATO strap (I don't want to add height to an already thick watch by putting a layer of fabric beneath it) and immediately switched it to a leather one...and I've ordered a bronze buckle to fit it. The cheap plastic storage box will be useful, perhaps, but I'd prefer to be rid of the box and NATO and have them deliver a more appealing strap option for the same price.

One complaint I have is the YELLOW. At a distance, or at small magnification, there appears to be vintage lume (think Radium) which is wholly appropriate for the style. Up close, there a fake sort of yellow hue that is disappointing:

At a glance, on the wrist, it's not as glaring. I can live with it.
    Under low-light conditions, all the yellow turns to white-blue/green as shown:

Again, acceptable.
    The construction of the case appears substantial and good quality.

My last comment is this (and hearkens back to George's caveat of knowing what you are buying). I thought I did know...I thought I was buying an un-branded version of a watch that Helson, STEELDIVE and others also offer. What I got is a STEELDIVE with no name on the dial. The box, hangtag, caseback, all have STEELDIVE branding. That's fine, too...but I either was inattentive, or the advertising was intentionally misleading.

For the money, I'm really pleased. This is a design I like, and it's my first bronze watch, so I am keen to observe the patina setting in.
    I have no qualms about calling it a beater, though I'm not sure how much abuse it will get (when working on my cars or bicycle or using power tools, I generally remove a watch), so it may look pretty nice for quite some time.
    Brad
    Last edited by Watch Carefully; 10-02-2020, 10:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• George W. Olney
    replied
    I've owned this one for about six weeks. It came out of the 'Steeldive" collection and I ordered it sterile. Because of the color, I refer to it as the Black Watch.

blackwatch01.jpg

Quality, timekeeping, and other functions are far superior to what I expected for the money and better than I've gotten when I paid a lot more. Will it last like a Rolex or Seiko? Dunno. Ask me in ten or so years.

It's my considered opinion that Steedive as a company doesn't exist. It's simply an imprint. If you crawl around the AliExpress site like I did, you'll find watches under various names that are otherwise identical. I looked for a Rolex Explorer II copy and found several, obviously the same watch except for the name on the dial. No particular complaint about that. I knew what I was buying when I bought the Black Watch and that's why I got sterile version. My bet is that all of these various watches - and the Dan Henry brand - are made in the same factory.

The thing that you all have to understand is that AliExpress, the marketing firm selling these watches, is a subsidiary of AliBaba, the Chinese tech giant (think Google equivalent). AliBaba is either wholly owned or mostly owned by by the Chinese government. As a matter of real fact, AliBaba does data gathering for the government. So what AliExpress knows (your purchasing information), AliBaba knows and some department of the government keeps on file. Will it ever be used for nefarious purposes? I doubt it, unless we go to war or something equally cataclysmic happens. Something else to remember is that the Chinese are not omniscient, but they are obsessive about procedure. Ergo, they'll collect data until hell freezes over with no idea why or any particular intention.

That's basically why I bought the Black Watch. I knew what I was doing and I'm really not too worried about them knowing where I am. Twenty five or thirty years ago, yes, I would have been. Not today. However, I did pay with a special low limit credit card I use specifically for internet purchases.

In sum, the watches are a damn good buy, just understand what you are doing.

George

Leave a comment:

• Markkershaw
    replied
    Originally posted by James T. Kirkę View Post
    The same thing was asked half a year ago about the Sharkey (Heimdallr) Sharkey_Heimdallr.jpg

My hommage's (similar to Mark's) only niggle is that the bezel goes somewhat stiff. For the rest it feels very, very close to my real Seiko's and inside there is a good NH35A that is in fact a Seiko 4R35 which also runs in my Seiko Samurai. The Heimdallr's are a tad more expensive and didn't come on a steel bracelet, and if they are made just as good as mine and feels like a Seiko and run like a Seiko then it's a phenomenal achievement from those factories. I sometimes keep thinking many of these are all from one or several factories with the same settings in their machine and only different dials, backs and crowns. Then a Steeldive, then a Heimdallr, then a brandi less, maybe even San Martins or other brands (there are some different ones as well) The same for the bronze ones. Steeldive/brand less ones are mostly the cheapest, then the Heimdallr's, a few in between and then the San Martin's and maybe different Quality control for the different brands.
    My Steeldive Puck (homage Halios Puck, but smaller) is a different ballgame, they were made under different names (a.o. Uroborus, in lovely blue!) and now under the Steeldive name and a brand less version, only in black. Now also San Martin makes one, with crown @ 3 instead of 4.

Would I doubt to buy a Steeldive again, no, but my Puck has a somewhat loose bezel, so there might be sometimes a little QC issue, which might be off-putting for some people. San Martin has a somewhat better name in QC matters but is usually also $ 50 ~ 75 more expensive.
    I actually think SteelDive is good value for money

Leave a comment:

• James T. Kirkę
    replied
    The same thing was asked half a year ago about the Sharkey (Heimdallr) Sharkey_Heimdallr.jpg

My hommage's (similar to Mark's) only niggle is that the bezel goes somewhat stiff. For the rest it feels very, very close to my real Seiko's and inside there is a good NH35A that is in fact a Seiko 4R35 which also runs in my Seiko Samurai. The Heimdallr's are a tad more expensive and didn't come on a steel bracelet, and if they are made just as good as mine and feels like a Seiko and run like a Seiko then it's a phenomenal achievement from those factories. I sometimes keep thinking many of these are all from one or several factories with the same settings in their machine and only different dials, backs and crowns. Then a Steeldive, then a Heimdallr, then a brandi less, maybe even San Martins or other brands (there are some different ones as well) The same for the bronze ones. Steeldive/brand less ones are mostly the cheapest, then the Heimdallr's, a few in between and then the San Martin's and maybe different Quality control for the different brands.
    My Steeldive Puck (homage Halios Puck, but smaller) is a different ballgame, they were made under different names (a.o. Uroborus, in lovely blue!) and now under the Steeldive name and a brand less version, only in black. Now also San Martin makes one, with crown @ 3 instead of 4.

Would I doubt to buy a Steeldive again, no, but my Puck has a somewhat loose bezel, so there might be sometimes a little QC issue, which might be off-putting for some people. San Martin has a somewhat better name in QC matters but is usually also $ 50 ~ 75 more expensive.

Leave a comment:

• Markkershaw
    replied
    Originally posted by TKite View Post
    I really cannot comment on it honestly having never handled one. I don't usually go in for homage watches for the most part. Since you own one, give it a go for a few months and work it out - dive it, swim with it, shower with it, check its accuracy, etc., and report back.
    Will do

Leave a comment:

• TKite
    replied
    I really cannot comment on it honestly having never handled one. I don't usually go in for homage watches for the most part. Since you own one, give it a go for a few months and work it out - dive it, swim with it, shower with it, check its accuracy, etc., and report back.

Leave a comment:

• Markkershaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Mannu View Post
    Not bad at all however I have just received Eddie Platt's PRS-68 40MM and that is utterly fabulous plus its a ruddy bargain how does He do it?His version is much better than Seiko's own reissues in My humble opinion.
    yes he has a Daytona look - a - like too, nice watches.

Leave a comment:

• Mannu
    replied
    Not bad at all however I have just received Eddie Platt's PRS-68 40MM and that is utterly fabulous plus its a ruddy bargain how does He do it?His version is much better than Seiko's own reissues in My humble opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Markkershaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    They seem to make nice homage watches at a cheap price, but I've never owned one, so hard to say for sure.
    I got mine and it hasnt left the wrist got a great deal.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X