Old Picture and thoughts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Picture and thoughts.

Found this picture whle looking up something else. My class in D Company, the Citadel, near the end of our Junior year, February of 1969.

Citadel D co 1968.jpeg

Backstory:

Over fifty of us started in August of 1966. These are the survivors. I'm third from the left, back row with the glasses and shaven head. I was one of three of us that tried out for the Senior drill team. Didn't make it. There are a couple of VietNam vets in the picture, but I was the only professional soldier. At least five are now dead, including the guy on my left shoulder. We spanned the spectrum from stock brokers to CEOs to farmers to professors and ranged from really great guys to, well... jerks. At the time, we were generally raucous types but many have mellowed over time. Note the grinning guy fourth from the right, back row. Bill Banias. The grin displayed his personality. Today he's an international consultant on transcendental meditation, complete with assumed Indian name, robes, turban, etc. Who knew?

Today I write science fiction and collect watches. A lot can happen in 50 years.

George
    Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Very cool to see this, George, and cool story too. I think you've done well over the years - thanks for sharing.

Comment

Not sure I'd want to wear that uniform in the South Carolina heat!

sigpic

Comment

It wasn't fun, but we got used to it. Winter wool trousers were a bit*h, though. They were heavy enough that we wore pajama pants under them to keep the hair from being rubbed off our legs. Stopped doing it before that picture was taken. I still have the bald spots.

Oh, and thanks, Mike.

George
        Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Comment

I can only imagine how uncomfortable that was, George. Thick wool probably. No thanks!

Comment

Very cool, George.
            "So Many Watches / So Little Time"

Comment

Thanks for sharing, George. Great picture and story.
              JP

They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

Working...
              X