"So Many Watches / So Little Time"

Comment

Hi all, hope you're well.

DSC_8720.jpg

Comment

Great picture!

Comment

I'm not sure if I'm navigating EOT properly but the fun is in the learning! That includes of course posting photos so let's give 'er a go and see what happens. Enjoy your day of rest fellas!

[/url]" class="bbcode-attachment thumbnail" alt="" />

Comment

Love that Rado diver.

Russ, looks like it worked, I see the beautiful Stowa Marine Diver.

Comment

Wearing my Black Watch today. I remember someone here recently remarking that he had a Steeldiver, but forget who. In any case, this is my sterile version - no company name. Love the thing.

chinese00.jpg

George
                  Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Comment

Classic!

Comment

Originally posted by George W. Olney View Post
                      Wearing my Black Watch today. I remember someone here recently remarking that he had a Steeldiver, but forget who. In any case, this is my sterile version - no company name. Love the thing.

chinese00.jpg

George
                      Of all the Fifty Fathoms replicas out there, I like this one the best.
                      TKite,
                      Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

That is a damned good looking diver, George - love the sterile version. It was Capt'n Kirk aka Johan who has a Steeldiver.

Comment

It satisfires my yearning for unobtainium - an original BPFF in excellent condition. None of the later BP versions have the panache of the first version. This isn't really a copy, just a re-imagining, and done very well. Me likey.

George
                          Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Comment

You know, Kurt, your watch looks like the sort of thing Humphrey Bogart would wear. Yes, I know he wore a steel Longines, but it still would fit Rick's (Casablanca) wrist very well.

George

Comment

Thanks George. Psychically and Horologically, I'm divided
                              into four parts...

1) Vintage and Classic Art Deco. (What you commented on)

2) Large multi-featured Sports Watches.

3) Anything Citizen does (like Campanola) to push the
                              envelope

4) Complicated high-end chronographs, like the one below.
                              It actually combines numbers 1 and 4. I sold my 5020 fifteen
                              years ago when I bought my Lange Doublesplit.

Bob, our new old member, probably remembers this watch
                              from Timezone Luncheons of years gone by.

I tripled my money when selling it, but today, based on auction
                              prices, a normal person could retire on what it's selling for. It
                              was a very unpopular watch when Patek first introduced it, so it
                              was made in very few numbers. I've heard various reports that
                              they made less than 35 pieces of each metal. To Patek collectors,
                              it's now a grail acquisition.

Before selling it, the canon pinion broke. Patek in New York serviced
                              it for $i,200.00, which I thought was really reasonable.

Calm-2 copy.jpg
                              Last edited by kurt48; 08-02-2020, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Very nice, George. My local hospital (Bryn Mawr Hospital), has a thrift shop
                                across the street that raises money for the hospital.

Years ago, in their watch and jewelry bin, a lucky (and knowledgeable) buyer
                                walked out with a Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. The only reason I know this is
                                because it ended up in the local paper.

As I remember the story, the lucky buyer felt so blessed that he returned and
                                made a donation to the hospital for his good fortune.

You never know...

Note:
                                When I worked the beach in Stone Harbor New Jersey, I used to watch the
                                seniors (our age now) with their metal detectors work the beach. Every once
                                in a while, usually after a holiday weekend, they'd find something special in
                                the sand.

blancpain_6584051.jpg
                                Last edited by kurt48; 08-02-2020, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X