OK, this is now my new old watch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK, this is now my new old watch.

Making a long story a little short, I had a Baum and Mercier Capeland about ten or so years ago, but sold it. Lately, after suffering the pangs of wanting to get something new, I contacted TKite, who had one for sale. Upon finding out that it A. was serviced in 2017 and B. had a titanium case, I jumped on it. Well... the deal took about a month, basically because I'd sent my payment via Priority Mail. Someone routed it to Buffalo, NY, then to East Aurora, NY, thence to NW Rochester, NY, and back to Buffalo. The envelope made that circuit four times when the lady (and she IS one) running T's post office in Connecticut reached in and plucked it off the merry go round. T had sent me the watch as soon as we agreed on the deal and I got it in four days. I've just said nothing because, as they say, "funds pending". He's got the payment now and I consider the Capeland I NOW own well worth the cash.

See below:

B&M Capeland00.jpg

B&M Capeland01.jpg

A Capeland is a dress diver for extreme sports, given its 1000m WR. I knew it was going to look and operate flawlessly because T is very meticulous about his equipment, a legacy of this days as a professional diver. It does. Runs beautifully. It also came with full kit and some other straps he kicked in, but I put it on a kevlar strap I happened to have. Wears comfortably, functions flawlessly, looks great.

Bottom line: yes, we had a very annoying hiccup in the mail, but T is a really good guy to deal with and I feel I got excellent (really more than I paid for or expected) value for the money. He has a couple more, including a SeaDweller, for sale, so check him out if you're in the market.

George
    Last edited by George W. Olney; 06-17-2020, 12:49 PM.
    Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Awesome, George. Wear it in good health.
    JP

They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

One of my all-time favorites George. There’s just something about the design of the watch that really speaks to me. Wear it in good health.

Comment

Wow, a hearty congratulations, George! I really, really, like that watch and I know I'll own one someday. I bought my Zodiac SSW from TK and it was a smooth, easy transaction. Glad to see it stay in the "family".

Comment

Great story. Glad the will and the way connected and the money got there. Wear it in good health!

Comment

I'm glad George is pleased with it. I even asked him if he were 'sure' if he wanted to buy it before agreeing to sell it to him. I know George on watch dimensions. I actually took some measurements and sent them to him, to be sure. Yes, the watch was completely gone through in 2017 - I had my favorite watch dealer in New York City send it to Baume & Mercier to have everything done - all worn parts replaced, new gaskets, handset, pressure test, etc., everything to put it in mint condition. I rate the watch at 99% personally. I hated to sell it, but times are not the best so it went to a great home, within the League.
            TKite,
            Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

I rate the watch at 99% personally. I hated to sell it, but times are not the best so it went to a great home, within the League.

You are a good guy, T!

Comment

Thanks, guys, especially T. You know, the darn thing looks kinda like a porthole in those pics. Hm.

George
                Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Comment

That's a win win if ever I saw one, congratulations to both of you.

Comment

That is the best watch B&M ever made. I have one I picked up probably 10 or so years ago and never plan on letting it go. Its a deep diver but has some class to it, love the onion crown. Congrats George, and wear it in good health.

Regards,

Ren

Mine says hello

Comment

I've always found that model to be among the most appealing divers and certainly the most distinctive B&M I can think of.
                      Congrats!

Comment

Congratulations! I’ve always liked that one.
                        If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough.
                        - Mario Andretti

Comment

Working...
                        X