Not big, not a diver, but new to me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not big, not a diver, but new to me

Glycine Airman World Timer. Little brother to TKite's DC4. It can show three time zones at the same time. Long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away, it would have been a wonderful accessory for me. Now I just like it for what it is, a nice watch that really runs and works well. 36mm or so, same as the original, but a 12 hour watch, not 24. A bit small, but easy for my old eyes to read and comfortable. The price was silly low, so I picked it up and I'm not disappointed. The little Beretta it's hanging from is a friend, too.

airman9.jpg

Here's the original, a true 24 hour watch and probably an Air Force veteran from the Vietnam time period. Now long gone from my box. I took better pictures then, too.

Airman6.JPG

George
    Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

That is very cool, George, in fact both watches are fabulous. Congrats on the newest acquisition. I've admired those Airmen a long time but never owned one. Closest I came was having a vintage Longines Weems, but it was tiny.
    B

Comment

interesting

Comment

Nice pickup, George! Looks good.

Comment

Love it George, or better said love both the Glycine and the Beretta. I still have my original Airman. It desperately needs a service. I like the white dial and historic size of your new addition.

Comment

Nice pick up George, I like the Glycine Airman line of watches. Interesting history and a true tool watch. I have often been on the brink and not pulled the trigger.

Comment

Is that the tomcat with the pop up barrel? Nifty.

Comment

Yup. With the bone damage I have, it's the easiest Beretta for me to use. The slide's rather hard to rack.

George
                Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Comment

That's a cool watch, George. Looks like a 24 hr model though. I suppose you were missing the old DC4.....

IMG_4679.JPG
                  TKite,
                  Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

George, if that Glycine in white there is your new to you watch, and is moving in a 12 hr fashion with that 24 hr dial, it means the handset is needing to be changed to to proper type of hands. I read somewhere that 24 hr Glycine watches have the same movement as 12 hr versions, but the hour hand is different to make it move at half the speed.
                    TKite,
                    Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Interesting TK - the hands on it now don't look to be like any I've seen on an Airman before too. They actually look like Omega Seamaster hands - looks good though.

Comment

Thanks for your comments, guys.

T. the World Timer was built as a 12 hour watch. Note the red 24 hour hand. It wouldn't be needed if the watch was intended as a 24 hour watch. I do, however, suspect there's a 24 hour version of the World Timer out there somewhere, but I like the version I have.

Yes, the movements are the same, but the gearing is different between the 12 and 24 hour watches. I picked this one up because 1. it was a fantastic bargain, and 2. I still have a liking for the original sized Airman 1. By the way, when I owned an Airman 1 five or six years ago, street value at that time was north of a grand. Dunno how that's changed but I bet it's gone up. Good watches, if you can learn to read them. T's DC4 is one of the best 24 hour watches out there because the size and clarity of the dial makes it easy to read.

George

Comment

Nice one, George. Wear it in good health!
                          JP

They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

Congrats George, . Nice pistol too.

Regards,

Ren

Comment

Thanks, guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X