Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leather Watch strap maker recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather Watch strap maker recommendations?

The strap maker i like isn't shipping anything until October - any you guys recommend here in the US?

You should make one yourself. I didn't think it was too hard to do, and it was kind of satisfying to do. I did an extra long rhino style strap and sewed it with military spec. #69 poly thread. If I had the cashola and leather, I'd do up a couple of straps myself.

IMG_5777.JPG
    TKite,
    Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Here's the first page of a search I did for bespoke watch strap makers in the U.S. Hopefully you'll find one in there somewhere.

Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 11.43.17 AM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 11.44.49 AM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2020-05-17 at 11.45.22 AM.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by TKite View Post
        You should make one yourself. I didn't think it was too hard to do, and it was kind of satisfying to do. I did an extra long rhino style strap and sewed it with military spec. #69 poly thread. If I had the cashola and leather, I'd do up a couple of straps myself.

IMG_5777.JPG
        Thanks - you just reminded me, i've thought about it from time to time - i've got a lifetime supply of SIG PE57 bayonets with their scabbards (bought a longtime ago for $2 each) - the scabbards are perfect leather to use, aged, a little distressed etc - similiar to the ammo pouch leather, but no markings.

Btw - if you ever need a good garden tool, the PE57 bayonet has to be the best pc of steel i've ever played with . I used one to help uproot a bunch of mountain laurel & Rhododendron bushes up in the blue ridge mountains. THe damn thing has a blade that has to be 1/2" thick in the center - hellaciously strong.

Comment

Johnny Torrez of JStraps makes custom straps and does a great job. He made me this baseball glove leather strap and added some logos from patches - I asked for that - damned good work.

johnny.torrez@comcast.net

https://www.instagram.com/johnnystraps/

Comment

This is just one person's experience. I have bought straps from most of the ones listed. My memories off the top of my head:
            Micah - very nice strap but $$$
            Bespoke straps - nice
            SNPR - the one I got I didn't like the feel of it on my skin
            Rob Montana - the one I got was very nice for $$
            Aaron Bespoke - very nice but $$$
            Martu - much less expensive, the one I got was just OK
            Camille Fournet - so expensive I never bought any - $$$$
            Bas and Lokes - medium $$, decent
            Barton - inexpensive, and not nearly as nice as the others
            Jack Foster - quite nice for $$ - he has a sale once in a while too

One that I really like that wasn't mentioned is Greg Spitz on ebay. He also goes by 922leather.com. His prices are very reasonable for the quality, and when he or ebay has a sale, they are a steal, IMHO.

Dave

Comment

THANKS - 922leather is the outfit that's caught my attention

Comment

Watch Straps.jpg
                I may have too many watch straps. Years ago, I found a watch strap case. I probably have 1-2 dozen other loose straps that aren't in the case.

Dave

Comment

That's a pretty serious collection

here's one you may not have seen - https://www.distefanostraps.com/. She's down the road from Panerai watches and apparently pretty popular with that crowd

this is one i just bought not too long ago - Lo Storico. It's a full 5mm thick but i've never had a pc of leather feel so soft or compliant to my wrist as this one did when i first put it on.

She "salt water washes" a lot of her leathers 3X to give them that vintage look

FWIW

lo storico.JPG
                  Last edited by larryccf; 05-17-2020, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Those look good. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

That actually got me to looking back on my bookmarks. Several others of note:
                      Jurgens Germany - $$ but very good quality
                      Exotic leather - fairly inexpensive but decent quality
                      Watch gecko - they have a very nice shiny ostrich leg strap (not a diver's) reasonably priced; their other straps did not impress me
                      MK leathers - Sold me one of the old Metta Catharina leather watch straps from the 1786 shipwreck. The story definitely fits this forum. I doubt they have any left.

Dave

Comment

just googled and read the story behind the "Metta Catharina leather watch straps from the 1786 shipwreck" - interesting that leather survived 200+ years in salt water without dis-integrating,......maybe leather makes a better dive watch strap than i thought

Comment

How about Greg Stephens Design? He is located in the US. Purchased one of his watches late last year and it came with a custom strap made by him of my choice. Watch and strap are great.

Regards,

Ren

Comment

interesting straps - watches look awfully nice as well for the money

ended up going with an orange ostrich strap to contrast with the blue on my SUMO

Capture.JPG

Comment

Working...
                            X