Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Happy St. Patrick's Day gentlemen. I'm wearing something green but as a sign of the times I wont be headed down to the pub today. I hope you all have a happy healthy day.
    Sláinte

Tue.jpg

Man that Rado.... Happy St. Patrick's Day
    TKite,
    Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Happy St. Patrick's Day. It will be odd not hosting a bunch of folks this year. Consider a pint of Guinness (could not get my preferred Murphy's) hoisted to salute y'all!
      Last edited by mosswood; 03-17-2020, 12:58 PM.

Comment

When I got back to the World in Jan of 75 I was transferred to Ft Stewart, about 20 miles outside of Savannah, GA. In Savannah, we discovered that: A. Savannah has a large Irish population and B. the whole town goes nuts for St. Paddy's Day. Our first inkling of this was the green water we were served in a pancake restaurant. The whole town becomes Irish (both Black and white) and even the TV cameramen filming the St. Patrick's Day parade were sloshed. I once wrote a training scenario that had the Soviets invading the US on 17 March through the Port of Savannah. The city didn't discover the invasion until the 19th. Savannah's supposed to be the biggest celebration outside of NYC.

George
        Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Comment

Originally posted by George W. Olney View Post
          When I got back to the World in Jan of 75 I was transferred to Ft Stewart, about 20 miles outside of Savannah, GA. In Savannah, we discovered that: A. Savannah has a large Irish population and B. the whole town goes nuts for St. Paddy's Day. Our first inkling of this was the green water we were served in a pancake restaurant. The whole town becomes Irish (both Black and white) and even the TV cameramen filming the St. Patrick's Day parade were sloshed. I once wrote a training scenario that had the Soviets invading the US on 17 March through the Port of Savannah. The city didn't discover the invasion until the 19th. Savannah's supposed to be the biggest celebration outside of NYC.

George
          ...The whole town becomes Irish (both black and white)...
          Dark Green, and Light Green..... LOL
          TKite,
          Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Such a nice Rado!

George, I've heard about their St. Paddy's Day celebrations, although I've never been to one. In New Orleans and Metairie, where I grew up, there are many Irish as well. Irish and Italian immigrants came to New Orleans to work on the docks and the two cultures have much in common. They do a parade there on Metairie Road like Mardi Gras with floats and Irish Italian marching clubs and bands, except everyone throws green beads and doubloons, drinks green beer, and they actually throw cabbages. It's crazy like Mardi Gras too, but I believe this year, it's cancelled as are most parades.

Wearing my Ventus Mori SS birthday present to myself. Cooking a corned beef and some cabbage and potatoes on the new smoker today.

Comment

Mike, I know whereof you speak. I graduated from Biloxi High School.

On another note, corned beef and cabbage is a favorite of mine, but not my wife. Ergo, I have to find it commercially. Do you know how hard that is in Aiken, SC? Sheesh!

George
              Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                Such a nice Rado!

George, I've heard about their St. Paddy's Day celebrations, although I've never been to one. In New Orleans and Metairie, where I grew up, there are many Irish as well. Irish and Italian immigrants came to New Orleans to work on the docks and the two cultures have much in common. They do a parade there on Metairie Road like Mardi Gras with floats and Irish Italian marching clubs and bands, except everyone throws green beads and doubloons, drinks green beer, and they actually throw cabbages. It's crazy like Mardi Gras too, but I believe this year, it's cancelled as are most parades.

Wearing my Ventus Mori SS birthday present to myself. Cooking a corned beef and some cabbage and potatoes on the new smoker today.

Thanks Mike, that Ventus is likewise a lovely green machine. Just like you and George, I'm a corned beef and cabbage fan. We usually also have it with carrots and a white sauce (bechamelle) with onions through it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim. View Post
                  Happy St. Patrick's Day gentlemen. I'm wearing something green but as a sign of the times I wont be headed down to the pub today. I hope you all have a happy healthy day.
                  Sláinte

Tue.jpg
                  And to you, Tim!
                  "So Many Watches / So Little Time"

Comment

Cooked corned beer, potatoes, carrots and cabbage, and quaffed a couple Guinness. Most parades were cancelled this year. I suppose anything can happen, but it is hard to imagine Mardi Gras in NOLA or Mobile being cancelled.

Comment

Originally posted by George W. Olney View Post
                      Mike, I know whereof you speak. I graduated from Biloxi High School.

On another note, corned beef and cabbage is a favorite of mine, but not my wife. Ergo, I have to find it commercially. Do you know how hard that is in Aiken, SC? Sheesh!

George
                      Ah, not too far from Metairie at all - we used to road trip to Biloxi all the time for the beautiful beaches. I dated a girl who lived in Hattiesburg and my late father in-law, Colonel Ernest Sylvester, was from Biloxi. I can only imagine how hard it is to find in Aiken -

Comment

Originally posted by Tim. View Post

Thanks Mike, that Ventus is likewise a lovely green machine. Just like you and George, I'm a corned beef and cabbage fan. We usually also have it with carrots and a white sauce (bechamelle) with onions through it.
                        Thanks, Tim! Yes, that sounds great - I would have put carrots in mine, but the wife is allergic to carrots.

Comment

Originally posted by mosswood View Post
                          Cooked corned beer, potatoes, carrots and cabbage, and quaffed a couple Guinness. Most parades were cancelled this year. I suppose anything can happen, but it is hard to imagine Mardi Gras in NOLA or Mobile being cancelled.
                          Sounds excellent, Jonathan. I was surprised to hear it was canceled myself as I've never heard of it being canceled for anything in my life.

Comment

Parades were also cancelled over here.
                            Not sure about Dublin but Belfast, Birmingham, London and Manchester we all called off. The parade in Birmingham is a huge spectacle.
                            http://s145.photobucket.com/user/sco...deshow/Watches

Comment

Working...
                            X