No announcement yet.

Recommended movie thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course there is my favoite movie of all time, Jerimiah Johnson with Robert Redford
    sigpic Let the music be your Master, will you heed the Master's call?

Comment

"The Happening" with Mark Wahlberg.
      TKite,
      Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

At least half the movies Eastwood directed are good, and probably a similarly number that he acted it. I expect everyone here has seen Unforgiven. If you haven't watch it. Some more Bogart movies, beside the excellent suggestion of the Maltese Falcon: To Have and Have Not; Key Largo; Big Sleep; Passage to Marseille, Treasure of the Sierra Madre; African Queen; Caine Mutiny; the incomparable Casablanca.
        Paul Newman: Cool Hand Luke; the Hustler; the Sting; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Slap Shot (maybe the funniest movie of all time... but there are a lot of funny movies out there); the Drowning Pool; Harper; the Verdict.

More suggestions from you young folks. My brother used to say I hadn't watch a movie made after 1975. I think only three of the above were made after that year.

Comment

Grand Torino - Clint Eastwood.
          TKite,
          Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Originally posted by mosswood View Post
            At least half the movies Eastwood directed are good, and probably a similarly number that he acted it. I expect everyone here has seen Unforgiven. If you haven't watch it. Some more Bogart movies, beside the excellent suggestion of the Maltese Falcon: To Have and Have Not; Key Largo; Big Sleep; Passage to Marseille, Treasure of the Sierra Madre; African Queen; Caine Mutiny; the incomparable Casablanca.
            Paul Newman: Cool Hand Luke; the Hustler; the Sting; Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid; Slap Shot (maybe the funniest movie of all time... but there are a lot of funny movies out there); the Drowning Pool; Harper; the Verdict.

More suggestions from you young folks. My brother used to say I hadn't watch a movie made after 1975. I think only three of the above were made after that year.
            I have not seen a lot of Bogart movies, but The Maltese Falcon is excellent as I said above, and I really liked African Queen.
            Cool Hand Luke is a great suggestion.

I would also like to suggest "Good Will Hunting" with Matt Damon and Robin Williams - this is a really good movie.
            TKite,
            Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

All good ones - I'd add Boondock Saints and Reservoir Dogs to the list.

Comment

Shannon, I had to laugh, as I always do, when I saw the Jerimiah Johnson citation. Back after the movie came out, my best friend (since passed), Charley Eckhart, used to guffaw whenever he heard the name. Charley was a big bluff Texan and a well known Western writer - in fact, he got me restarted in the writing business in 78. Anyhow, he told me that the movie was pretty good as a movie, but left out a few things. Remember this was back when all the girls of all ages were sighing about Redford as Johnson. Johnson was a real Mountain Man, all right, but his trail name was "Liver Eatin' Johnson". Back during that bad winter, he killed an Indian brave (or Aboriginal American warrior, if you prefer) and ate the guy's liver. Hey, he was starving. For a while it was fun watching the girl's faces turn green when either he or I told that story.

I still miss Charley.

George
                Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Comment

Working...
                X