Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommended movie thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Recommended movie thread

    T's, thread made me think what movies that might be relatively obscure might I recommend. I loved Second hand lions. Any you know of?
    sigpic Let the music be your Master, will you heed the Master's call?

  • #2
    Originally posted by S.L.Dickinson View Post
    T's, thread made me think what movies that might be relatively obscure might I recommend. I loved Second hand lions. Any you know of?
    That movie reminds me of myself and my brother when we were younger. Great movie.

    Contagion would be a good one to watch for fun. hehe

    Book of Eli..

    TKite,
    Hydronaut

    I need a new watch

    Comment


    • #3
      Michael Caine reminded me of another of his films from around the same time: Last Orders. Great cast, very English film, well worth finding, directed by the extraordinary Fred Schepisi.

      Comment


      • #4
        Not sure if it counts as obscure, but "We were soldiers" with Mel Gibson is a great movie about Lieutenant Colonel Harold Moore. If you haven't seen that, I highly recommend it.
        Last edited by Mike D; 03-14-2020, 09:53 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mosswood View Post
          Michael Caine reminded me of another of his films from around the same time: Last Orders. Great cast, very English film, well worth finding, directed by the extraordinary Fred Schepisi.
          Fred Schepisi wrote the screenplay for Last Orders too.

          Comment


          • #6
            The Stand....
            TKite,
            Hydronaut

            I need a new watch

            Comment


            • #7
              I don't know how it would hold up today but I remember Sleuth being a good movie, Michael Cain again and also Laurence Olivier.

              Comment


              • #8
                Watched Dirty Rotten Scoundrels again last night. Always makes me laugh.

                I enjoyed Secondhand Lions.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Tim. View Post

                  Fred Schepisi wrote the screenplay for Last Orders too.
                  If you are looking for good movies you could do worse than checking out the films of Fred Schepisi, Bruce Beresford and Peter Weir. They are all Australian of about the same age, and starting making films at around the same time. Their movies run the gamut from great drama, to comedy.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The Maltese Falcon with Bogart.
                    TKite,
                    Hydronaut

                    I need a new watch

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The Stand

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrViQhLcjkQ
                      TKite,
                      Hydronaut

                      I need a new watch

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        OK, here's one. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Clint Eastwood western from the 60s and one of his best movies, period. Good enough that when I showed it to my boys back when they were in their early teens, both of them were fascinated all of the way through.

                        Another old one for pure laughs: The Great Race with Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon and Peter Falk (sp?). Takes place around 1908-10 and is about the first around the world auto race. The only thing I'll say about it is that Lemmon is hilarious as the evil Professor Fate. Even I laugh at it.

                        George
                        Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Love those movies, George. Another good one I watch multiple times is, "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, World with Spencer Tracey, Milton Berle, Ethel Merman, Buddy Hackett, Mickey Rooney, and the great Jonathan Winters - many big stars of the day. Hilarious movie.
                          https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057193/

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by George W. Olney View Post
                            OK, here's one. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Clint Eastwood western from the 60s and one of his best movies, period. Good enough that when I showed it to my boys back when they were in their early teens, both of them were fascinated all of the way through.

                            Another old one for pure laughs: The Great Race with Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon and Peter Falk (sp?). Takes place around 1908-10 and is about the first around the world auto race. The only thing I'll say about it is that Lemmon is hilarious as the evil Professor Fate. Even I laugh at it.

                            George
                            I am a sucker for almost any of the old Clint westerns, the Man with No name series, any of them.
                            sigpic Let the music be your Master, will you heed the Master's call?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Another one I really liked was Being There, I think it was Peter Sellers best movie, and that includes the original Pink Panther which was great.
                              sigpic Let the music be your Master, will you heed the Master's call?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X