OT New Grill - RecTec RT700 "The Bull"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT New Grill - RecTec RT700 "The Bull"

I've always liked good old charcoal grills, but once I had kids, it was too slow - couldn't wait for the coals to get just right. So, for the past 20 years, I've had a gas grill. I love grilling year round - steaks, fish, pork, chicken, vegetables, everything. My old Jenn-Air gas grill was too far gone to repair, so a new grill needed to happen.

I researched and researched as we WIS are often wont to do and decided on a wood pellet grill. I think they give you the best blend between the convenience of gas and the flavor of a wood fire cook. You can grill, sear, smoke, braise and do anything on them too. My research led me to a lesser known brand called RecTec. I got the RT700 "The Bull" grill. It came from RecTec in Georgia and took about a week to deliver via UPS Freight - came on a pallet and I assembled it in my garage. It has a WiFi controller and two temp probes.

I absolutely love this grill and got to do my first cook on it last night. Baby back pork ribs with a no sugar rib rub, smoked shi****o peppers, and my wife made some coleslaw and baked potatoes. Had a nice Belgian Imperial Dark beer to go with it. It turned out great - very tasty with a nice amount of smoke and killer flavor.

Here are some pics! I highly recommend RecTec if you're looking for a pellet grill.

Congratulations. I love a pellet smoker. I've had a Traeger so long that even Traeger can't tell me how old it is, and no longer stocks some of the parts for it, and last year I upgraded to quite a large Louisianna grille with a cold smoke chamber.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

Congrats, Mike, sounds great. I love discussion of food and it is even better with beer pairings.

Comment

Both the ribs and the grill look awesome, congrats Mike,

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
          Congratulations. I love a pellet smoker. I've had a Traeger so long that even Traeger can't tell me how old it is, and no longer stocks some of the parts for it, and last year I upgraded to quite a large Louisianna grille with a cold smoke chamber.
          Thanks, Henry! Traeger is the one that started the pellet grill craze. I was torn between the Traeger Silverton and the RecTec 590, but decided to go bigger. I've heard good things about Louisiana grills too. The cod smoke chamber is cool as you can do jerkey and cheese and other stuff - RecTec sells a smoke box you can add on to the side. I may get that one day.

Comment

Jon - food and beer are two of my favorite things!

Tim, thank you!

Comment

Yum, might have to do similar tomorrow. Pat is making chicken and dumplings for us and my parents tonight
              sigpic Let the music be your Master, will you heed the Master's call?

Comment

Ooh, that sounds delicious - making me hungry now.

Comment

Dude, now I'm really hungry.. As to the grill - enjoy it man. I wish I had a grill I get tired of pan fried steaks. Maybe this summer I'll sort something out. I have a TON of maple firewood out back I need to burn....
                  TKite,
                  Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Thanks, TK - you could get a Weber Kettle grill - get rid of/burn the maple and cook some good steaks. If I could get two grills without getting a divorce, I'd have a Weber Kettle charcoal grill too as it's going to deliver the best flavor.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

Thanks, Henry! Traeger is the one that started the pellet grill craze. I was torn between the Traeger Silverton and the RecTec 590, but decided to go bigger. I've heard good things about Louisiana grills too. The cod smoke chamber is cool as you can do jerkey and cheese and other stuff - RecTec sells a smoke box you can add on to the side. I may get that one day.
                      My Traeger is so old it was made in America and still under patent. I looked at a new Traeger when I was looking to upgrade. They have some nice features including the double wall chamber. I have never seen RecTec up here. In the end I made a choice to head away from the WiFi options, though I really see the draw there, and went for the options the Louisianna had that the Traegers don't. 700F is a great for me as I do pizza and breads in the grille. My old Trager topped out at about 470F on a hot day, which is just about good enough for pizza. The Louisianna also has a really simple open flame option so searing tuna or elk is super easy.

In the end the Louisianna ended up replacing my Traeger, my gas grill AND my Bradley bisquet my smoker, which was my old cold smoke option. I have a small yard so three grilles into one was fantastic.
                      Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post

My Traeger is so old it was made in America and still under patent. I looked at a new Traeger when I was looking to upgrade. They have some nice features including the double wall chamber. I have never seen RecTec up here. In the end I made a choice to head away from the WiFi options, though I really see the draw there, and went for the options the Louisianna had that the Traegers don't. 700F is a great for me as I do pizza and breads in the grille. My old Trager topped out at about 470F on a hot day, which is just about good enough for pizza. The Louisianna also has a really simple open flame option so searing tuna or elk is super easy.

In the end the Louisianna ended up replacing my Traeger, my gas grill AND my Bradley bisquet my smoker, which was my old cold smoke option. I have a small yard so three grilles into one was fantastic.
                        Makes sense to me - I need to sear steaks, chicken, and fish, so I also purchased grill grates https://www.grillgrate.com/

Although the RecTec has a "Full" temp setting that gets it over 500F and possibly close to 600F, the grill grates ensure a good sear. You can use them on either side - one side is flat like a griddle.

It's awesome that the Louisiana grill gives you an opportunity to use direct flames - Weber was going for that feature too in its new SmokeFire pellet grill, but their design is flawed as the grease drains down to the firepot and causes grease fires. Good concept though - Louisiana grills did it better.

Comment

Working...
                        X