Budweiser Virus OT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Budweiser Virus OT

Here where I am, there is a shortage of toilet paper. How is this nutbag scare fest affecting your neck of the woods?
    TKite,
    Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Lol - Not much of an affect here in KC, except you can't find hand sanitizer anywhere. Now at work, I've had conferences canceled, meetings canceled, and trips canceled. I probably won't be taking a cruise anytime soon as your 1 week cruise will turn into a 3 week cruise.

Comment

It is not a scare fest if you happen to contract the disease and have higher risk factors. There are many dead who fit in that description. That more die by other means like car crashes or the flu is not relevant. What is relevant is that there is much unknown. Try factoring unknowns. It is complicated. Only in hindsight will we know how we did. Let us hope we overreacted rather than under reacted.

Comment

First case in PA was IDed Friday...she is 3 blocks from my house.
        As Jonathan says, let's see how we did afterward, and do the right things now.

I advise listening to the experts, not the President.
        That's not a political statement, it's a scientific one.
        Last edited by Watch Carefully; 03-09-2020, 08:31 PM.

Comment

I'm not worried about it. Wash hands regularly, don't touch your face, use hand sanitizer when appropriate, and keep your distance from people. I think my point is they are acting like it's Yellow Fever, or the Black Plague. I did a walking tour in New Orleans and they showed the streets when they had the Yellow Fever there and the bodies were 'stacked like cord wood' up and down several streets.

I have a good supply of toilet paper. Don't let them scare you into not going out to do things - businesses are counting on you to still come in and buy stuff (especially small mom and pop businesses).
          TKite,
          Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

We've had this stupid toilet paper thing going on for nearly 3 weeks now and I really don't understand it, why is toilet paper the thing people want to hoard? I suppose if you tried to buy a bidet right now, they'd all be sold out too.
            It's odd because if you want to buy clothes washing powder or dish washer powder, there's plenty and that's the stuff that's mostly made in China and will run out, but the toilet paper that's 100% locally produced, currently 24 hours a day, is what people want to buy.

Comment

Originally posted by TKite View Post
              Don't let them scare you into not going out to do things - businesses are counting on you to still come in and buy stuff (especially small mom and pop businesses).
              Good points, T.
              Because I work in the outskirts of one major city and live outside another, I feel like I'm at risk more than many...especially because people I work with travel to attend conferences, etc. and are in the Health Care field. I'm trying not to let it alter my optimism, but when I hear about the truly stupid things some people are saying* and doing, I tend to feel like it isn't well enough understood nor are enough measures being taken for prevention.

*For example, an insensitive tweet by a sports commentator:
              "Why scare the entire population with this corona virus stuff. It’s only the elderly and people with existing conditions that are at risk but you’d think everyone was going to die by the way it’s being reported"
              Last edited by Watch Carefully; 03-10-2020, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim. View Post
                We've had this stupid toilet paper thing going on for nearly 3 weeks now and I really don't understand it, why is toilet paper the thing people want to hoard? I suppose if you tried to buy a bidet right now, they'd all be sold out too.
                It's odd because if you want to buy clothes washing powder or dish washer powder, there's plenty and that's the stuff that's mostly made in China and will run out, but the toilet paper that's 100% locally produced, currently 24 hours a day, is what people want to buy.
                Well, it's because people are afraid of being quarantined, and they could run out of paper. God forbid we should have to resort to corn husks, corn cobs, or 'cowboy tp', which is "common mullein". Luckily, I have this plant growing in heaps in my back yard LOL.

Because I work in the outskirts of one major city and live outside another, I feel like I'm at risk more than many...especially because people I work with travel to attend conferences, etc. and are in the Health Care field. I'm trying not to let it alter my optimism, but when I hear about the truly stupid things some people are saying* and doing, I tend to feel like it isn't well enough understood nor are enough measures being taken for prevention.
                Well, it's hard to say what is truth, and what is fiction these days. You see video of stuff going on in China which could either be spreading it there, or 'disinfecting'. Then we have the CDC telling people NOT to wear any form of mask to protect yourself. That sounds more like the CDC are trying to prevent panic, rather than help people stay safe from what can be transmitted by people coughing and so forth.

My point about small businesses is that business is already bad - not slow, it is bad, for very small mom and pop family owned businesses. Telling people to stay indoors and go nowhere could mean those little businesses folding up. They already have enough problems because of Amascam.
                TKite,
                Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Toilet paper out at least in Costco by me in South Florida, have been too cheap to buy it at Target but may have to pony up soon, hopefully they have it by then. We have a lot of retirees and snowbirds down here this time of year so if this thing really takes hold here it wont be good. In the US I dont think we have a good view yet as we have not been testing rigorously. I and my wife are lucky as we can work from home if needed and it may come to that soon as our companies are taking it seriously. Glad that it seems not to be deadly to small children as I have a 2 year old and would be very worried if that were the case. I am however worried about my family members who are older my mom for example. I pray we all are spared because this is looking bad. Stay well folks.

Regards,

Ren

Comment

The only silly **** I see so far is Hand sanitizer is selling out in some places. Oh, and a kid on the Ops crew might get fired for coming to work sick.
                    I am living the dream in Hawaii.

Comment

Well, one should not go in to work sick, especially under these circumstances.
                      TKite,
                      Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Several points I've noted about the virus. The thing should be treated seriously, but mostly there seems to be more scare than reality. I was reading in the Wall Street Journal yesterday where Wuhan, the source of the virus, appears to be experiencing a massive drop in cases, to the point they're taking down a few of those emergency hospitals they built. Now I know the Chinese will lie through their teeth and kill people to hide the fact, but this seems to be an accurate report. Accurate enough for the WSJ, in any case.

Re: Panic buying shortages. Every time there's a hurricane, the stores sell out of bottled water. Why, I don't know. Water almost never goes out in a hurricane. It hasn't in the six or seven I've been through in any case.

George
                        Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Comment

I have major trade shows being cancelled and Germantown Academy in Philadelphia just had
                          their first case diagnosed. The school is now closed. Germany just announced they have
                          a shortage of emergency room personnel to treat virus victims.

Amazon and Microsoft have basically closed their offices and employees are woking from home.

It may end up being a non event (though I doubt it), but for now, I think we have to err on the side
                          of caution.

I was scheduled to go to China this month. Won't be happening for awhile.

Kurt

"So Many Watches / So Little Time"

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post

Good points, T.

*For example, an insensitive tweet by a sports commentator:
                            "Why scare the entire population with this corona virus stuff. It’s only the elderly and people with existing conditions that are at risk but you’d think everyone was going to die by the way it’s being reported"
                            "only the elderly and people with existing conditions" ...That's a TON of people!
                            "So Many Watches / So Little Time"

Comment

Georgia Guidestones anyone?
                              TKite,
                              Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Working...
                              X