Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mosswood
    replied
    I have four solar watches, two Eco-drives, a Seiko chronograph and a Casio Giez. I lost the Eco-Zilla for a couple or three years and it had no charge. I strapped it to a pool ladder. A couple days later it was fine. I leave it and the Eco-drive GMT on a window sill every once in a while. The Giez and Seiko just sit on my desk and seem to keep on ticking.

Leave a comment:

• vjb.knife
    replied
    Originally posted by TKite View Post
    I was thinking to build a box for solar watches with LEDs directed at the watch face built in. No time or extra cash to do it though at the moment.
    That is kind of what I was thinking but this setup was pretty easy and about $50 through Amazon.

Leave a comment:

• vjb.knife
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike D View Post
    I now only have two solar watches, my Seiko digital solar tuna and a Gshock. I was just thinking about this because I keep them on my desk under a lamp, but I noticed the solar tuna was dead today - I don't wear it much. So, I put it on a window sill to get more natural sunlight. I like your solution as it looks to work well.

This is mainly why I sold my Mission Antarctica watches and other solar divers. I keep all my watches in my gun safe and there's no light in there unless I open the door. So, they were always dead if I kept the solar ones in there. Keeping them out didn't really keep them charged enough, so it was always a PIA to get them to reach a full charge from zero. I'm sure I'll get another Mission Antarctica and will have to remember this. Thanks.
    This was exactly my situation. I would get one from the safe and want to wear it but it was dead. The older models like the Mission Antarctica (I have the similar 4X4 model) don't charge up as easily as the newer models or hold the charge as long. This is what I came up with to keep them ready to use.

Leave a comment:

• Tim.
    replied
    Originally posted by TKite View Post
    I was thinking to build a box for solar watches with LEDs directed at the watch face built in. No time or extra cash to do it though at the moment.
    You could go all the way and power them with rechargeable batteries connected to a little solar panel. Just putting my green hat on , whoops, sorry that's my party hat.

Leave a comment:

• TKite
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mike D
    replied
    I now only have two solar watches, my Seiko digital solar tuna and a Gshock. I was just thinking about this because I keep them on my desk under a lamp, but I noticed the solar tuna was dead today - I don't wear it much. So, I put it on a window sill to get more natural sunlight. I like your solution as it looks to work well.

This is mainly why I sold my Mission Antarctica watches and other solar divers. I keep all my watches in my gun safe and there's no light in there unless I open the door. So, they were always dead if I kept the solar ones in there. Keeping them out didn't really keep them charged enough, so it was always a PIA to get them to reach a full charge from zero. I'm sure I'll get another Mission Antarctica and will have to remember this. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Tim.
    replied
    Vince, I only have one solar watch, a Seiko diver's chrono. It sits in a large watch case with a perspex window in it. It's on top of a chest of draws 2 meters away from a small window with an overhanging eve, so it never gets direct sunlight other than when I wear it, maybe once every couple of months and it hasn't stopped in two years, so I'm pretty sure they're still trickle charging even when the light level is low.

Leave a comment:

• golfboy
    replied
    Cool solution Vince, but I've found with my solar's (a couple of G-shocks and Eco-drives) that they don't really ever require direct sunlight to maintain their charge at full. I leave them on a window sill in the bedroom (which never gets direct sunlight due to a large backdrop of trees in the backyard) and in the 5+ years they have been there (with the occasional tour on the wrist) they have never been anywhere less than full charge. Just something to think about if you ever feel like conserving lamp energy

Leave a comment:

• vjb.knife
    started a topic Solar / Eco Drive watch charging, how do you do it

Solar / Eco Drive watch charging, how do you do it

I love my mechanical movement watches, but I still have several light powered watches (all Citizen Eco-Drive). To chrge them, I had been leaving them in sunlight sometimes. But, since there are no windows in my house with direct sunlight due to an overhanging roofline I had been putting them outside. I decided this was not good for a number of reasons so I went to amazon for a solution and bought a glass top watch box and an LED light. The light also has a USB output so I can use it to charge my Garmin Descent Dive computer.

Working...
X