Pocket Watches...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pocket Watches...

Another member of our group of gentlemen posted earlier on gold watches - most of us being owners of professional, or sports watches and not dress watches. Well, I do have a couple of pocket watches - both inexpensive. This is the 'fancy' one. It's a pocket watch with emblems from the Masonic Order on the face and case back. A reproduction actually, of a watch that originally featured a winding mechanical movement. This one is a battery job, though it says the movement is from Japan, so it cannot be 'too' cheaply made. Anyhow, I like it, though the chain is a little short for my likes.

IMG_5955.jpg IMG_5956.jpg

Let's see your Masonic, or other pocket watches
    TKite,
    Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Very cool, T - love the shape and look of that pocket watch. Here are two that I got from my father. They were owned by my grandfathers - my Italian grandfather owned the Westclox Scotty - probably from around 1977. My Cajun French grandfather - from my mother's side - owned the Waltham in gold, which is from the early 1900s - maybe 1901. It's much nicer than the Westclox as it has a beautiful movement and nicer dial.

Comment

You may dig this one...former WW2 military navigation watch with 24-hour time (Grade 4992, based on the 992B RR watch, but with 22 jewels and center seconds). After the war, many were converted to 12-hour time and a lot had custom dials painted.
      I got this one with such a dial, but have swapped that out for something I like more...

The way it arrived:

What It looks like now:

The case I am readying for it:

The wonderful movement (1944 production):

Comment

Here is a beautiful pocket watch that had belonged to my grandfather. Maintenance (every ten years) was so expensive that we finally sold it. It was a Minute-repitition with a OpasMinutenrep-.jpg OpasMinutenrep-Deckel.jpg OpasMinutenrep-offen.jpg wonderful chime. Sometimes I wish I still had it.
        The Pictures are from the shop that sold it for us. Peter

Comment

Wow, Peter. That is quite a rare and exquisite piece.
          I've heard from watchmakers that those old minute repeaters can be very finicky...certainly the care of them is vital and can be expensive.
          I've only beheld a few--I helped a friend sell one 10-15 years ago and enjoyed having it temporarily in my possession.
          I was petrified something would go wrong!

Comment

My Grandfathers...During the'Depression' he was a conductor on the P.R.R. between
            Philadelphia and Lancaster.

Howard was the finest American Watch ever made.

"So Many Watches / So Little Time"

Comment

That's gorgeous Peter, Back in the 90's I owned a tri-color gold minute repeater that
              was given to Buffalo Bill Cody during his Wild West Days in Europe.

It was monogrammed W.F.C. with each letter in a different (white, yellow, green) color
              of gold.

I traded it for an antique Montrose Saddle. Wish I hadn't.

:-)

Kurt

Comment

Wow, Peter... and wow, Kurt... what beauties! I have never owned a pocket watch, was happy my Dad's went to my brother and I suppose now to my nephew... but those two...

And I get selling because of ridiculous maintenance... sad, but understandable.

Comment

Very sweet.
                  sigpic Let the music be your Master, will you heed the Master's call?

Comment

I have three. One is a coin silver cased watch, nothing special, everyday carry. That makes it special to me Dates from about 1905. It's stem wind lever set, which means I have to open the crystal and pull out a lever at 2:00 so I can set it with the stem. The height of watch technology in 1905. Hampden Watch Co. Middle grade American company back then. Still runs well.

pocket watch 01.jpg

pocket watch 00.jpg

The other two have a place close to my heart. They are Westclox "dollar watches", which refers to just what they were originally sold for, even into the 70s. They were displayed on a card of nine in general stores (originally) and later in convenience stores. Pin lever escapement and stamped parts, but they worked. I bought a Pocket Ben at the little Camp Greaves PX for $2.00 in 74 and carried it on patrols when I decided my wrist watches weren't doing the job. It had great lume and I could read it all night long. I carried it wrapped in a clear plastic baggie in my left breast pocket. I figured it was cheap enough that it wouldn't bother me if it got bashed up when I hit the ground or did some other dramatic movement. It never let me down and I passed it on to my replacement -at his request - when I rotated home. Bought these in a fit of nostalgia at an antique show. Both still run although I can't set the Scotty.

pocket watch04.jpg

George
                    Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Comment

Hey an original...... The music is a little over dramatic, but I suppose since it's technically an advertisement to sell the watch:

TKite,
                      Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

E Howard, Waltham, and Elgin discussed in this video you may enjoy.

TKite,
                        Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Most gone now, but on some days I still miss them... Hope you enjoy.

Kurt

Comment

Wow, Kurt - when you collect something, you don't mess around. Those are stunning pieces.

Comment

Thanks Mike, it took 30 years to collect them all.

Great memories. I used to carry one every day.

All of my slacks (even shorts) had the watch sleeve inside the right
                              pocket.

Comment

Working...
                              X