Pelagic Magic Dive - Kona Hawaii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pelagic Magic Dive - Kona Hawaii

My wife and I decided that we are going diving on a regular basis since we live in Hawaii now. We signed up for this one that the dive shop calls Pelagic Magic. Blackwater night dive in 3000 feet of seawater. It is 3000' deep but we are tied off to down lines that are about 50 feet deep. We hang out and watch lots of mostly small things swim by. I brought the camera and took a few shots that were relatively OK.
    Here we go.
    I was wearing the new Seiko Marinemaster 300 - SBDX023 and a Suunto Zoop Nouvo dive computer. The first two shots are me and my Wife (she's sporting the Garmin Descent MK1).

Some sort of gelatinous creature.

The Marinemaster is hanging in there at the crushing depth of 52'.

Oh No!!!! one of the creatures has attacked one of the other divers. AARRGGGHHH!

More deadly denisons of the deep.

This Kraken of a Giant Squid was at least 18 mm in length.

It was touch and go but we managed to make it back to land unscathed.

I am living the dream in Hawaii.

It is disconcerting to be diving in water that is really, really deep if you let it get to you - and it can easily do so. I was diving on a floating oil platform in 6,000 feet of water once and started thinking "I am 6,000 feet off the floor of the earth right now, swimming across to this thing".... I swam a little faster over there. Didn't want to become food for anything BIG hahaha. It was on a DP2 vessel, and I was swimming across the down line from the stage to the platform at the time. Great visibility too The Seiko looks great on the wrist Vince!
    TKite,
    Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

You never know what might show up on one of those deepwater dives.

Comment

Very cool - I would enjoy that although it must be a bit unnerving at night. Excellent shots of the MM.

Comment

I don't worry about that kind of stuff much any more.I dive at night all the time in Honokahou Harbor where the Submarine is docked in Kona. It is only 20' deep but it is the most common place in Hawaii for Tiger Sharks to congregate, so it is a lot more likely that I would see something scary there than anywhere else. Our Divemaster said that she has done this dive over 340 times and seen open water white tip and blue sharks a total of 3 times. Next I am signing up for an underwater digital photography class.

The Dive Shop here calls this a Blackwater Dive, I told them I worked in Baltimore Harbor repairing Piers and that is real black water.
          Last edited by vjb.knife; 01-08-2020, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Maybe they call it “Black Water” because when you look down it’s black?

Here’s some gray water diving.

Comment

A lot of my diving was no viz - it makes you much better when you CAN see on other dives. Installing pipeline pieces by feel, operating tools, tying knots. Well, you guys know that world

TKite,
              Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

I would certainly dive a lot if I lived in Hawaii. I do hope that when I retire I can spend a lot more time in the Caribbean. Mrs. K doesn't want to move fulltime, but she might be convinced to snowbird.
                Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
                  I would certainly dive a lot if I lived in Hawaii. I do hope that when I retire I can spend a lot more time in the Caribbean. Mrs. K doesn't want to move fulltime, but she might be convinced to snowbird.
                  There are a lot of couples that do that here. Especially from Oregon and Washington and Canada

Comment

Originally posted by vjb.knife View Post

There are a lot of couples that do that here. Especially from Oregon and Washington and Canada
                    You should start a "Sea Hunt" club
                    TKite,
                    Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Originally posted by TKite View Post

You should start a "Sea Hunt" club
                      Then I would have to buy a bunch of vintage scuba stuff that would be horrible to dive with. I met Lloyd Bridges when I was in Commercial Diving School.

Comment

Working...
                      X