Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So my niece really likes the Hippocampus...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So my niece really likes the Hippocampus...

...it's her favorite part of the brain and she also likes the fact it's a seahorse.
    She will be graduating college in 6 months, so I thought she might dig a Hippocampus for the wrist.
    Thus, a new project watch:

A classic mid-1960s Seamaster.
    It needs a little cleaning up and regulating, and a bracelet.

As it turns out, in my stash of parts, I have a NOS bracelet of the type very common in that era.

I think this will look pretty cool when complete!
    Brad

Very cool Brad!

Comment

...And a great graduation gift, in so many ways.
      Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Comment

That is so cool, Brad! A very meaningful gift!

Comment

She'll cherish it!
          "So Many Watches / So Little Time"

Comment

Thanks, Guys! I have to credit my wife, who suggested the idea of a Seamaster after I mentioned the hippocampus connection.
            I hope my niece will dig it, and find it useful.
            At least her eyes are young enough to be able to tell time on this tiny dial!

Comment

Awesome gift. You are a kind uncle.

Comment

That's a very thoughtful gift mate, I'm sure she'll treasure it, wish I had an uncle Brad.

Comment

So, inside is a beautiful little movement from 1962:

Cal 630

Case reference is 535.002 and also indicates 1962 production.

Last edited by Watch Carefully; 12-10-2019, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Crystal polished, case ultrasonic cleaned, period NSA bracelet end-pieces shaved to fit, installed in vintage box:

I can hardly wait for my niece to finish her final semester, so I can give this to her.
                    B

Comment

Wow, that looks great! She will likely love it. Nice work.

Comment

Beautiful. What an awesome gift.
                        JP

They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

Hi y'all,
                          Sadly, the Virus situation means that my niece's actual graduation is delayed. The university will try to hold a ceremony in October, which I hope to attend with my family.
                          However, we also held a very funny Zoom-based mock commencement today, with a recording of a kazoo band playing Pomp & Circumstance, some prepared statements, video addresses, slide shows and presentations of awards and a diploma.
                          It was a blast and very well orchestrated by the graduate's elder sister. The whole family is quite clever and erudite, so it was enjoyed by us all and I'm still chuckling and smiling several hours later.

I want to report that she was quite pleased with the Seamaster, and the watch was a big hit with my sister's family in general. They appreciated the effort that went into the gift, and the thought behind the connection with my niece's field of study (and personality).
                          Thanks for all you kind comments...and good luck to any members of your family who are teaching, studying, graduating. I realize this is a really challenging time to take all that out of the classroom and into the ether.
                          Best wishes,
                          Brad
                          Last edited by Watch Carefully; 05-09-2020, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Brad, thanks for the update. Covid has permitted the creativity of some people to spring forward. I have been so impressed on so many accounts. It is awesome she liked the gift... and you are a good uncle!

Comment

Got a feeling your niece is going to treasue that watch for a long time to come - heckuva an idea for a grad gift, kudos

Comment

Working...
                              X