Submarine Overhaul again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Submarine Overhaul again

I just returned from another Sub Dry dock Overhaul. What a pain in the ass. It is a filthy job but some asshole has to do it And I guess I am just that asshole. Actually they rotated most of the Maintenance guys from our location on the Big Island are sent to Oahu for about a week. Scrapping, painting, disassembly, Re-assembly and testing. It is not fun at all. I have gotten used to the slow pace of things on the Big Island and Oahu is way too crowded. I would never want to live there.

I am living the dream in Hawaii.

Grab some lunch at L&L and chill, bruddah!

Seriously: is a dry-dock overhaul worse than working on the boat while it's floating?

PS. I'd rather live on Oahu than some insanely hectic region like the I-95 corridor between DC and NY.
    Oh.

Comment

I eat at L&L way too often. There are definately better choices and that is one nice thing about Oahu; more variety of things to eat and places to shop. I visited several high end watch stores in the Ala Moana mall including Ben Bridge (I am not impressed) and the Omega Boutique which was very nice.

My work partner took a picture of the Ferrari and Lambo dealer and texted it to my wife saying that I was in there talking to a salesman and it looked like I was going for a test drive. She said that was fine, I could buy one as long as I worked until I was 80. So, no cars were purchased cause I am retiring for real this time in a little over a year at 66 1/4.

It is generally easier to deal with the overhaul in dry dock than in the water. And yeah you have a good point; I grew up in DC and would never go back there to live, but my previous home of Pittsburgh is a better city than Honolulu, except for the weather and lack of the Pacific Ocean.
      Last edited by vjb.knife; 11-05-2019, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by vjb.knife View Post
        my previous home of Pittsburgh is a better city than Honolulu, except for the weather and lack of the Pacific Ocean.
        Those three rivers don't trump the Pacific?

Comment

My work partner took a picture of the Ferrari and Lambo dealer and texted it to my wife saying that I was in there talking to a salesman and it looked like I was going for a test drive.
          That's commercial diver style right there. You always had to be careful not to have an unlocked cell phone laying around or it could get a picture of a naked women sent off to a wife or girlfriend by a co-worker......
          TKite,
          Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Originally posted by mosswood View Post

Those three rivers don't trump the Pacific?
            I would not dive in the Pittsburgh rivers even with a Viking dry suit and integrated hood with full helmet. There is scarier stuff in there than the Tigersharks I see at work.

Comment

Originally posted by TKite View Post

That's commercial diver style right there. You always had to be careful not to have an unlocked cell phone laying around or it could get a picture of a naked women sent off to a wife or girlfriend by a co-worker......
              Luckily I was not married when I was a Commercial Diver. My Wife actually thought that the Ferrari prank was pretty funny.

Comment

... my previous home of Pittsburgh is a better city than Honolulu, except for the weather and lack of the Pacific Ocean.
                If I could have mountains and a view of a lake in my hometown (Wilmington, DE), I'd move back in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately, it's about the lowest, flattest state in the union. I think our highest elevation is about 90 feet above sea level.

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
                  If I could have mountains and a view of a lake in my hometown (Wilmington, DE), I'd move back in a heartbeat..
                  Ditto the mountains and my old view of the Mississippi River. Not seeing it regularly (daily when I grew up) I miss the the power and majesty of the Big Muddy. It would be awesome to have the Blue Ridge Mountains next to the Mississippi River. I should be semi-happy as I live in the middle of state where the river is our western boundary and the mountains pretty much the eastern boundary.

Comment

I used to live in Dover, Delaware, but can't say that I liked it very much except for the bushel baskets of crabs that you could get. Here I have a view of mountains, actually volcanoes, on three sides and the ocean on the other. It's about six miles down to the beach or about twenty to Mauna Kea, Hualalai or Kohala. Here are some watch pictures, just because there have not been any in this thread so far.

Comment

I can understand the attraction of Hawaii. Nice watches, btw!

Comment

Well, the paint looks good!!

Comment

Working...
                        X