Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What sort of movement decoration do you like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What sort of movement decoration do you like?

I was looking at some movements, and noticed there are a variety of really cool options...rotors, decorative motifs, stripes, perlage...here's a favorite of tmine, below.
    What do you really like?

Côtes circulaires

I really don't bother much with the movement decor - I just want it to work as precise as possible under the most demanding conditions. The only watch I have in which I can see the movement is the Glycine Airman. It looks cool, but I prefer a solid case back personally.
    TKite,
    Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

As do I. I'd rather look at an artfully designed back
      than gears and rotors.
      "So Many Watches / So Little Time"

Comment

I can appreciate a beautiful movement, but I look at the watch as a whole and like it or not regardless of movement. That also goes for quartz versus auto.

Comment

This is a subject that has interested me before. I do agree with what's been said above, I'd far rather have an accurate watch than a pretty movement, however. I only have one watch with a display back and they went over the top with decorations, I think less is more, I far prefer Brad's example above. It fascinates me though, because upon opening my first Swiss watch, some years ago, I was amazed at the level of workmanship and artistry on display. These craftsmen take such pride in these creations, for who, why is it there? The insides of the vast majority of watches are only on display to the manufacturers and the watchmakers who services them, the owner of the artwork never sees it. I think that's really cool, it's like they have their own secret club, one small group that creates the art and another that gets to appreciate it. It's important that these skills are kept alive.

Here's the only display back I own and as I said, it's a little too decorated.

image_20907.jpg

I have literally dozens like this one though, all hidden behind case backs for only the chosen few to see.

image_20909.jpg

I should answer Brad's initial question though. I think that Hamilton has a fairly perfect blend of machining, blued screws and gold wheels, and as to what I really like, it's the fact that someone has the skill and takes the time to do it in the first place.
          Last edited by Tim.; 10-28-2019, 04:05 AM.

Comment

Here is one of my favourites.
            Ragrds Peter AM-J09-004.jpg

Comment

The back of my Doublesplit. I admit this was awfully nice
              to look at.

Comment

Originally posted by TKite View Post
                I really don't bother much with the movement decor - I just want it to work as precise as possible under the most demanding conditions. The only watch I have in which I can see the movement is the Glycine Airman. It looks cool, but I prefer a solid case back personally.
                I understand this position and cannot fault it (not that it is my place to do so!). My own take is this: a significant reason I like mechanical watches is that they provide something out of the ordinary--a result that is valid in modern times (keeping accurate time) obtained in an anachronistic way. Being able to see the little machine that does something a much smaller, hidden electrical gizmo can do, is a huge part of the charm. The movement is the soul of the piece, as I believe we'd all agree. Sometimes, depending upon the purpose of the timepiece, if I cannot see the movement, it might as well not be mechanical. This isn't my position universally, but it drives my acquisitions often. And I want to see a lovely movement in most cases, something the makers took pride in creating, not just a bog-standard 2824.
                Last edited by Watch Carefully; 10-28-2019, 10:26 AM.

Comment

The back of the 'new' stainless steel Lange...

Comment

I'm actually fine with a solid case back in a lot of cases. I don't know why dive watches have display backs for instance. If there is a display back I tend to favour hand winds. Here are a couple favourites from my own collection.

33632563475_d3941ab671_o by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

AN back by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

My take is that this hobby is first and foremost about appreciation of a craft, whether that be appreciating the engineering of a specific function, complication, or manufacturing method, or the admiration of the hundreds of parts that go into a typical mechanical watch and the understanding of the truly precise manual dexterity required to assemble and disassemble those parts regularly, to the appreciation of the mechanical watch as a legitimate art medium, and it is here that movement decoration finds its true audience. I for one appreciate all of the above and I find movement decoration itself has evolved and pushed limits as well to showcase just how far it can be taken and it is truly fascinating to behold.
                      Dan

"I don't know what's worse...a watch with no hands, or a hand with no watch"

Comment

A "revealing" question... because I wasn't certain I have anything with a display back. I love pictures of well crafted movements for precisely the reasons Brad elucidated. I don't have anything I consider attractive, though I do have some watches with display backs.
                        Years ago I remember considering a Chronoswiss because of the movement finishing. I eventually decided since I would rarely see it there was no point in purchasing it.

Comment

Working...
                        X