Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the perfect diameter for a dive watch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the perfect diameter for a dive watch?

If you were designing your perfect dive watch what would the case diameter be, irrespective of dial size, bezel diameter, etc?
    38mm
    0%
    39mm
    0%
    40mm
    28.57%
    41mm
    21.43%
    42mm
    35.71%
    43mm
    7.14%
    44mm
    7.14%
    45mm
    0%

I like a lot of dive watches, but for an all arounder, 40mm has always been a good one. I'll wear between 40mm - 42mm usually... the Eco-zilla is out of the norm for me but it's cool. I'd also wear a Seiko Tuna for the same reasons - cool, and legible.
    TKite,
    Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

I like 42mm and up with a few exceptions - my Sea-Dweller is good being 40mm and I think I'd like the Oris 65 at 40mm.

Comment

Depends on a bunch of factors: I like 42-43 with titanium and a larger face and tapered or short lugs. Seiko Tuna-can watches have greater dimensions, but wear much smaller due to the lug design. The same applies to the adapters I have on my Eco-zilla.

Comment

That's actually the wrong question. The real question is the size of the dial. It ought to be as large as possible relative to case size. 32mm or larger. Big case + small dial = lots of wasted space... or what's known at proms as a wrist corsage. Case (no pun intended) in point, my Speedbird is actually 35mm. It wears larger than some 40mm divers and is far more legible.

Speedbird12.jpg

George
          Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Comment

Like T I think 40-42 is good, for a standard dive watch, like say the Oris (should I say Mike's Oris?). I guess we're talking case only here, sans crown. I have one that's 50 and although I admit that it's not comfortable on a bracelet, it wears fine on silicone, however I wouldn't call it a general use watch. As previously stated design has a lot to do with it, Monsters and Tunas get away with being a little larger cause the lugs extend less than 2mm past the edge of the case.
            Last edited by Tim.; 10-06-2019, 05:53 PM.

Comment

I just don't know! I'm comfortable on some days with my 34mm Marathon field watch, then others switch to my Doxa M31 which is 44-45mm. I think variables like case material, thickness, lug width all play a factor in this.

Comment

For me it would be 44, just because that size looks the best on my wrist (ie: classic Panerais) but for most people I would think 42mm hits the sweetspot.
                Dan

"I don't know what's worse...a watch with no hands, or a hand with no watch"

Comment

I actually agree with George re: dial size; however, my sweet spot is 41 to 43......ish...lol
                  JP

They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time.

Comment

My most polarizing watch and one of my three favorites. 1000 meter WR, 46mm, Helium, DLC
                    and Kevlar. I've had it a LONG time and it makes me smile every time I put it on. Probably too
                    big for most.

Zenith Defy Extreme Dive Chronograph.

Great weekends.

"So Many Watches / So Little Time"

Comment

Love that one, Kurt - it's a cool looking watch to me - I actually like up to about 47mm. My Glycine F-104 is 47 as is the Marathon JSAR depending on how you measure it.

Comment

Thanks Mike!

Comment

Looks like the majority favor 42mm. I agree that a dial diameter of 30-31mm is optimal.

Comment

Kurt, I long said less than pleasant things about that particular iteration from Zenith (not about the execution, which was well done, but the design)... well I saw one for the first time in years a few month back: after 10 or so years it has grown on me. Not so much that I want one, but enough to really appreciate it. Cheers!

Comment

Thanks, I totally understand. I've owned mine for nearly that long, and with the passage of time,
                              it becomes more important to me.

Even better, it's the one my grandchildren love the most and enjoy playing with.

:-)

Comment

Working...
                              X