OT: A charitable musical event FYI...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: A charitable musical event FYI...

I know most of you won't be able to attend, but I wanted to share something cool to which I am honored to contribute...

An old pal of mine, Eric Miller, and I have been in many bands together since 1984, and several years ago he was generous enough to include me in some performances and recordings with one of his long-time outfits, called Canadian Invasion. They are a sort of alt-rock, Brit-pop-influenced band...quite eclectic and enigmatic. It's been an odd, circuitous journey for them, through a few incarnations and 4 CDs. My own contributions included writing and singing backing vocals (2012) on their most recent album (finally released 2014) and performing backing vocals at their last full-band show (and CD release party, also 2014) as well as playing bass at one trio show since.

Sadly, the band's drummer, a great guy named George Groves, succumbed to cancer a few years back--CI hasn't done much since, but this month the band is reforming with a new vision. The plan is an annual show to honor the memory of George, to keep the music alive, and to raise funds for the charity https://rocktothefuture.org/. Their mission:
    Rock to the Future provides free music programs for youth in under-served Philadelphia neighborhoods. Through music, our programs ignite passion and creativity, support academic achievement, and improve self-esteem in an inclusive and positive environment.

George's daughter is performing a song with us, so this is all about preparing the next generation.

The venue is a recording studio, and there is a possibility that this show will be filmed/recorded for release...again, to benefit the charity.
    I'll let you know how it goes. Jumping in with the band after a long absence is daunting, but exciting.

Details on the Canadian Invasion Day event, in case you wish to share:
    https://www.eventbrite.com/e/canadia...ts-70545867589

Me (left) with the band at the 2014 CD release gig:
    Last edited by Watch Carefully; 10-01-2019, 12:49 PM.
Working...
X