Space fever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space fever

I'm starting to get excited over NASA again. With some new government backing with this administration, NASA has kicked into overdrive to get us back to the Moon by 2024, and start on new projects for deeper space missions. Check out the video on this link, it's good and shows what they have been up to. I am hoping that a new mission to the Moon will ignite space fever in people and maybe we can get that orbiting platform together they have talked about since the days of Apollo.

To keep it watch related - Pete Conrad the commander of Apollo 12 wore a Glycine Airman along with his issued Omega speedmaster on his space missions.

IMG_5019.JPG

TKite,
    Hydronaut

I need a new watch

This video shows the plan for an orbiter that basically balances between the Earths field, and the outermost field of the Moon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjzZlBOMdEw
    TKite,
    Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

I’ve got Space Fever, and the only cure is more Space!!

Comment

I'm surprised we haven't put a man on the moon or on Mars in all these years and with the significant advancement in technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          I'm surprised we haven't put a man on the moon or on Mars in all these years and with the significant advancement in technology.
          It's because they have focused spending trillions of dollars on endless war. I could say something VERY un-politically correct, but I'll refrain. That isn't to say I am a pacifist - not at all. I just think some things could have been avoided, wrapped up earlier, or other options pursued in the area of warfare. Ever hear that old Black Sabbath song War Pigs? Pretty much sums it up.

If we had spent trillions, or even 500 billion, on NASA and putting things in place for a real space program, we would be so much further along by now. We have the technology, we just need the backing to do it. We could have had manned colonies on both the moon and mars by now.
          TKite,
          Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            I’ve got Space Fever, and the only cure is more Space!!
            Man I am with you. We ought to put all these private corporations to partner with NASA if they aren't already - like SpaceX and Bigelow for example. I heard that Bigelow was even privy to some of the Area 51 stuff - but that is not confirmed.
            TKite,
            Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Pete Conrad was a d*mn cool guy. If you know the term "right stuff," Pete had it. A great sense of humor coupled with great resolve and courage. It applies to more than a few people, but not a lot more than a few.

Comment

Totally agree, TK - I am not a pacifist in any way, shape, or form, but I am also all for avoiding senseless costly wars.

Comment

Speaking as a soldier with two wars under his belt and a son that did a tour in Afghanistan, I have to agree about wars. I think we'd have fewer if the folks telling us to fight them had seen one from the ducking bullets level. 'nuf said on that topic.

The problem with space flight is that we're currently marking time. There are basic things we need that don't exist right now. Chief among them is a practical space drive. Rockets ain't it. We need to get to Mars in a week or less. As time goes on, that duration will decrease, but right now the expense required for an extremely short trip in just our solar system makes trips non-cost effective. As I've pointed out several times, the Americas were visited countless times before Columbus, but it was the invention of the square rigged frame built ship (AKA the Santa Maria) that made settlement of the continents practical.

By the way, T, that DC-4 looks nice.

George
                  Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Comment

I've always been fascinated with space and have had more than a passing interest in NASA's missons of late. Some of the photos coming back from Mars, Pluto, Saturn, and Jupiter are incredible and awe-inspiring. Plus the fact there is that tie to the watch world also probably does not help matters!

My Speedy Moonphase:

Dan

"I don't know what's worse...a watch with no hands, or a hand with no watch"

Comment

Let's just dig out the Hyperdrive plans from Area51 and we can get there in a jif....
                      I do agree with George on rocketry - it's just not going to cut it for real space travel, we need 'warp' drives and much more advanced technology to come into play.

With all that said, if you were going to go on a mission to space - I mean really space, not just low earth orbit on the ISS, but a Moon, Mars, or beyond mission, which watches would you want to take along with you for use on the mission and why? Please consider the very fine dust particles present on the moon, and probably mars as well in your thoughts on this subject. Apollo astronauts had issues with moon dust getting into the glove joints, and also wearing away at the knee/shin layer of their space suits. So not only was that dust very fine, but it was very course and potentially a problem.

My top picks for a space mission - Moon, Mars, or beyond, would be:

1) Rolex Cosmograph - aka the "Daytona".

Why: The modern Rolex in house movement is incredibly accurate and robust, it features a triplock screw down crown, and screw down pushers and is waterproof to 100M, making it more ideal for extravehicular activities such as walking outside on the Lunar or Martian surfaces. Has subdials for timing, and a tachymeter for other uses.

2) Fortis Cosmonauts Chronograph.

Why: The Fortis official Cosmonauts Chronograph has been in use for missions on the ISS for many years now. It's an accurate and reliable watch. My only concern would be it's ability to keep out dust particles on Lunar or Martian surfaces. In those cases, the Fortis would probably be regulated to inner spacecraft duties, unless it were in orbit EVA situations where dust particals were not a real issue.

3) Glycine Airman 24 hr. DC4.

Why: It can track two timezones without an extra complication in 24 hr mode, is light weight, and is waterproof to 200M with a screw down crown. Tough and reliable. Set it and forget it. Also, thanks to George, I own one
                      Last edited by TKite; 09-23-2019, 01:02 PM.
                      TKite,
                      Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Originally posted by TKite View Post
                        If we had spent trillions, or even 500 billion, on NASA ...
                        ...and perhaps directed the other billions [spent financing the war] toward developing renewable energy solutions, we might want to leave the planet so soon!

I love my ICE automobiles but, as an author (whom I recently read, but whose name I cannot recall) stated: no one fights wars over wind and sun.

Comment

Space exploration isn't about ditching the earth for new stomping grounds. We may never even get to that point because the government hoards the best technology for their secret projects. The pollution problem in the ocean is all on the oil companies - they should be forced to pay for the entire clean up of the earths oceans and not just 'band-aid' type crap they did with the BP incident either. The second big problem we have is with plastics. People are like little kids - they cannot seem to understand that tossing their plastic garbage on the ground or overboard on boats/ships is irresponsible.

I am all for people converting their homes to solar - but without government interference. Some states will not 'allow' people to go off the grid. They want to have their fingers in everything, and don't want you to be self sufficient. Even if you want solar, some states make you go through the local electric company, essentially 'leasing' and you still have a bill, though it is much smaller. I don't want ANY bill, I want to be totally off grid. I would install solar and just disconnect their service from my house, but I don't have the money for that. If everyone were off grid, and didn't pay property taxes, you would be totally free.

TKite,
                          Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post

I love my ICE automobiles but, as an author (whom I recently read, but whose name I cannot recall) stated: no one fights wars over wind and sun.
                            That's very true, wars fought over water can't be too far off though.

Comment

Originally posted by TKite View Post
                              Space exploration isn't about ditching the earth for new stomping grounds.
                              Yep--I know that...that conceit simply offered a convenient segue into what I wanted to add to the conversation.
                              I'm with you on the plastics, etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X