X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omega bringing back the 321 caliber :O

Yep, Probably an official release party for Basel this year:

https://www.watchtime.com/wristwatch...eid=9cc6794fa3

Saw this and thought many would be interested here as the Speedy tends to gather a ton of attention here and rightfully so

So many things come to mind about this. I think it is way cool that they are reviving a venerable movement, long out of production.
    Makes me wonder if they would do something with a hand-wound time-only caliber like the 30T2RG!

Expect to see some very expensive Apollo commemorative; July 20 marks 50 years since man set foot on the moon...

Comment

Cue George.......
      TKite,
      Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Cue taken.

Although I'm a devotee of the traditional Speedy Moonwatch, I'm tremendously underwhelmed. The 321 is a good movement, but so is its successor, the 861. The 861 is, by the way, my preferred movement. The 321, while decent, is just too expensive to build for mass issue, but that's not Omega's plan.

In the last ten years or so, Omega decided to go "Swiss upscale", which meant making the same thing, but charging steadily more for it. Thus a three to four thousand dollar Speedy Pro became an $8000 Speedy Pro. Now they're resurrecting the 321 and selling it as an elite "must have" item for what is probably going to be priced as the GNP of a small island nation..

Sorry, not worth it.

George
        Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Comment

Sadly, it will likely further escalate sales prices of authentic 321s and possibly exacerbate any existing tendencies for fraud in the vintage watch market.

Comment

George didn't you have one with the 861 movement?
            TKite,
            Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Actually, I've had three. After I sold my last one, it got too expensive to get another. I might do it again - at the expense of a certain other Omega - but the Tudor GMT is in my sights right now.

George
              Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Comment

George stated my sentiments regarding Omega better than I am able. Some time ago I resolved not to buy a new Omega product. They test that resolve by making some very tempting products. Incidentally if you live near an Omega boutique, by all means visit.

Omega raising prices has at least a correlation with the increased prices on vintage Omega products... meaning, I could sell something and now purchase a new Omega product. Could does not imply will.

When this was first posted my immediate reaction was, "it has not been 50 years." Then I did the math, remembered how old I have gotten... yup 50 years! I am still around. I expect to be survived by Omega. They preceded me by over a century, so I am not feeling too bad about it. If, the first goal of a business is to stay in business you have to say Omega has done well. Doing well and doing good are not the same thing.

The 861 is a great movement. By great I mean accurate and inexpensive to maintain. A couple 861 Speedy's have owned went well over a decade between services.

Sadly there will almost certainly be more fraud. This is bad because it steals from the victims of it as well as owners of "honest" watches by depressing prices.

Comment

Well I appreciate the history of the watch and movement but I am glad I find the watch terrible looking so no envy wanting one when it comes out here.

Comment

After reading the article, and pondering it a bit while doing so, I am wondering if they didn't name this movement 321 considering the count down to launch: 3....2....1.... We have ignition..... I also noticed the "A" and "R" scale on the movement - Advance and Retard, just like a car. Pretty cool.
                    TKite,
                    Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Working...
                    X