Jenny alarm diver...any info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jenny alarm diver...any info?

Hi guys, newbie here with a question. I bought this Jenny alarm "dive" watch NOS three or four years ago and I haven't worn it since, believing it might be quite a collector's piece. What intrigues me is that I have never found another one like it, no info and no photos.

The watch is a smallish 38mm w/o the crowns and seems well built. The crown at 2:00 is a double crown. Turning the large crown clockwise -into the case- frees the small crown on top. This small crown sets the alarm and winds the alarm spring. Sadly, it worked only once the day I got it, with a strong sound. After that, turning the small crown makes a "winding" sound but it doesn't really charge the spring. At 4:00 is a screw down crown with the usual two positions, A for manual wind and B for setting the time.

The watch winds smoothly and runs great, keeping good time, at least in the drawer. I have never worn it, which is a shame. There is no way I can figure out how to change the date, except turning the hands a full 24hrs.

I would really appreciate if anyone could give me more info on this Jenny, or direct me as to where I can find it. Sorry about the dust in the pictures and the rust in my English , and thank you for reading this far.

Cheers,
    Louie.

Hi, Louie, and welcome...

Thats quite a rare find you have there! I've never seen one like it.

If I were you, I'd send it to Jack Alexyon at Interntional Watch Works for a movement overhaul. You'd get back a watch that worked as it should as well as establishing a lot more about it, especially the movement.
    Chances are he could also restore the seals, so you could wear it as it was designed.

There's a lot available on the Jenny family, their ownership of Doxa, etc available on the web with a little search engine fiddling.

I'll also ask a friend who is well versed in alarm movements if he knows more.
    sigpic

Comment

Thank you very much, Tyler. All the searches I've done have been useless EXCEPT just today I've discovered that the "916" on the back cover might refer to a JLC Memovox movement. Interesting.

Comment

Welcome, Louie! That Jenny looks to be in excellent shape. In all probability, a full service by a competent watchmaker will put it back in fine running order. I wouldn't be trying to wear it until then, since the oil on the movement has probably either dried up or caked - which may be the problem with the alarm. Additional running may increase wear.

Don't worry about your date not adjusting except by hand rotation. Back when I think that watch was made (late 60s or mid 70s) it would not have had a quick change date, so nothing's wrong there.

Your English is excellent, by the way.

George
        Cardigan American Princess Celeste says, "It's too quiet. You guys get up off your butts and start doing things."

Comment

Thanks for the advice, George! It's been running for a few days now, I had really forgotten about this watch, and it is keeping time to +10 seconds a day (in a drawer and face up).

Louie.

Comment

Thats a really sweet one. Will second all Tyler and George said, and add that I would keep it if I liked it, as you are highly unlikely to find another to replace it. I have seen people sell watches they REALLY liked because they got bored with them or THOUGHT they wanted something else worse. Usually they get bored with that one eventually and wish they still had the first. Some are fairly easy to replace, but some practically impossible.
            Last edited by S.L.Dickinson; 05-19-2011, 11:33 AM.
            sigpic Let the music be your Master, will you heed the Master's call?

Comment

I am more a buyer/collector than a trader. I think this one will stay with me!

Best,
              Louie.

Comment

mmm...not likely...

That would have been a pretty expensive motor for Jenny.

My friend and fellow moderator Brad suggests the A. Schild 1931.... Have you had the back off?

sigpic

Comment

FYI, most late-1960s to 1970s A. Schild movements with date allow for the date to be changed by advancing the time past midnight, back to 20:00, and then past midnight again. Repeat until correct date is visible.

For more info on this and other movements, I recommend Dr Ranfft's site:
                  http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...ranfft&0&2uswk

Very cool Jenny!
                  Cheers,
                  Brad

Comment

Here's a link...

..to Ranft's page on the AS. It's about the right time period, and the date setting mechanism sounds right....
                    LINK
                    sigpic

Comment

My God....... Tyler don't encourage him to try to take the back off..... Have a watchmaker do it!

That's a dang cool looking watch. I myself like to collect watches that aren't your garden variety either. I suggest getting the crud off the back of the case though
                      TKite,
                      Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Comment

Killer old Jenny!

As per George.... quick set date would be highly unlikely for a watch built in the late 60's early '70's. That is one of the reasons I don't buy many vintage watches anymore. I feel like I'm tearing it up just trying to get to the right date.

As per Brad..... my 1971 Rolex Pres uses the same manner for setting the date. Change the date by rotating past 2:00 and then rotate back to past 10:00 and she will change the quickest.

Great post!
                        sigpicHook 'Em
                        "Just as watch collectors are keepers of a tradition of a mechanical art, so too are dive watch owners keepers of a legacy of rugged instruments that accompanied man on some of his greatest adventures. Wear your dive watch proudly."

Comment

I think I'll leave it as it is until it goes to the watchmaker!

Comment

There's a sticker still on the back. The crud is really the adhesive crawling from under the sticker and getting mixed with dust...well, yes, CRUD! But it's not so bad as it looks. The watch is really nice.

Comment

Hi Louie...

I'll agree that it's a pretty unusual piece - I've been collecting alarms for ~10 years and I don't think I've ever come across one.

I also agree that it's almost certainly a Schild movement - they were by far the most widespread alarm of that era and your description of the operation matches. The "916" is probably coincidental, as the JLC 916 is automatic, which this doesn't appear to be, and JLC was pretty particular about who they sold their movements to. One advantage to it being a Schild is that their popularity makes replacement parts easy to find, so a good watchmaker should be able to get it up and running with minimal difficulty.

Very cool, thanks for sharing.

-Nate

Comment

Working...
                              X