Doxa GMT Wrist Shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doxa GMT Wrist Shots

These are Q&D pics because I am on the road and do not have my regular camera, so sorry for the lame shots, but you guys will get the idea. This watch came Friday, I quickly sized up the bracelet and jumped in the car for a week-end trip that I had planned.

This watch is very nice and I am really happy with it. This is my fourth Doxa and second 750T series watch, my other 750 being a Caribbean. The dial is a beautiful shade of yellow, and the black hands contrast against it nicely. Secondary GMT hand takes a few glances at the dial to get used to, but then it sort of blends in when you are checking the time. Dial face is just a tad smaller than my Caribbean due to the rotating 24 hour GMT chapter ring that is also built into the dial, and the hands are a little smaller than a normal 750 due to this also. The watch will tell time in three separate time zones simultaneously by (1) the regular watch hands and markers, (2) the secondary 24 hour hand using a 24 hour scale on the watch face and (3) the 24 hour hand using a rotating 24 hour inner chapter ring.

The main crown is at 4:00 and has three positions as you unscrew it and pull it out; first- winding position, second- (two functions) turn it one way and the date advances, turn it the other way and the 24 hour hand advances in one hour clicks, third position - hacks the movement and sets min/hr hands.

The secondary crown at 2:00 is for the internal rotating 24 hour chapter ring that allows for the third TZ, Unscrew the crown, it pops out a little, and then the crown is turned either way to set the internal 24 hour ring. Both crowns operate very smoothly and reengage into the case very cleanly and actually a little smoother than my Caribbean does.

The first thing you notice about the bracelet is that is thicker and more rigid laterally than the bracelet on my Caribbean. It is the same basic design, but this is the screw link style (my Carib has the pins/collars) and it just feels like it is better constructed. When I say thicker, what I mean is the "rice beads" seem to be the same as the Carib bracelet, but the outer links are thicker, giving the bracelet a much heftier look. It matches the watch better than the other 750 bracelet IMO as I always felt the original 750 bracelet was a little "thin". I tried to get a pic of what I am trying to get across here. It also has solid end links and the bracelet fold over pieces seem to be thicker also.

Dave
    Last edited by DaveW; 10-08-2006, 11:05 AM.
    You never know when you are going to have to go deep.sigpic

I did notice that last night when I was taking this shot.

I had to push the bracelet aside more than usual to get it to sit side by side. And yes, the Divingstars are different shades; so no yelow redundancy there.

Love the hat too, I wonder if it is a limited edition as it is not available on the Doxa website.

Might clash a little with my garage queen, which I have yet to drive with the top up. Will keep he string alive today as it is gorgeous here on Long Island today.

LOve this Doxa. Whereas some say the dial is too busy, I don't think so as like it without the helmet.

Illegitimis non carborundum.

Time you enjoyed wasting is not wasted time. T. S. Eliot

Comment

Very nice love the look enjoys guys.

Comment

Nice watch, Dave. Thanks for the first blushes on this sure to be talked about new one from Doxa. While I don't consider myself stupid, I'm not sure I followed the function on the 24hr. hand. It clicks forward in hour increments when setting it, but it moves in a traditional manner? Do you have to set it at the top of the hour for accurate 24hr hand movement? I just awoke so maybe I missing something obvious here.
        sigpic

Comment

Drool ............. Beautiful.

Originally posted by Mr.Boots View Post
          I had to push the bracelet aside more than usual to get it to sit side by side. And yes, the Divingstars are different shades; so no yelow redundancy there.

Love the hat too, I wonder if it is a limited edition as it is not available on the Doxa website.

Might clash a little with my garage queen, which I have yet to drive with the top up. Will keep he string alive today as it is gorgeous here on Long Island today.

LOve this Doxa. Whereas some say the dial is too busy, I don't think so as like it without the helmet.
          I luv it.
          sigpic
          Brandon (and Maddie, RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by tista View Post
            Nice watch, Dave. Thanks for the first blushes on this sure to be talked about new one from Doxa. While I don't consider myself stupid, I'm not sure I followed the function on the 24hr. hand. It clicks forward in hour increments when setting it, but it moves in a traditional manner? Do you have to set it at the top of the hour for accurate 24hr hand movement? I just awoke so maybe I missing something obvious here.
            Tista,
            Not stupid at all. I didn't follow the functionality of this watch until I had one in my hands and could see first hand how it operates. It is a pretty cool and ingenious design actually. Please let me try and explain further.

The first time zone is the actual time on the conventional hour and minute hands on the watch.

The GMT secondary indicator hand (the long skeleton hand)makes one complete smooth trip around the dial each 24 hour period. In other words, it is running at 1/2 the speed of the hour hand on the watch. The GMT hand moves freely around the dial when you adjust it with the 4:00 position crown. When you set the GMT hand, it clicks is one hour "jumps" to the position you want on the 24 hour scale printed on the watch dial. Take a close look at the dial pics of the watch and you should see the 24 hour scale between the regular watch hour markers.

If it is actually 1:30 PM where you are, and want to set the GMT hand to a time zone that is two hours ahead, the GMT hand adjusts in one hour "jumps" when you adjust it to the 1530 position, or 3:30 PM. From then on, the GMT hand will accurately track that second time zone as it continually advances on the 24 hour dial scale.

Now here is the cool part, to get the THIRD time zone, you simply use the 2:00 position crown to adjust the internal rotating 24 hour chapter ring (it is half yellow and half black on the GMT photos) to the time it currently is in that third TZ, as indicated by the GMT skeleton hand. You now are tracking two separate additional time zones with the single GMT hand as it moves around the dial. The internal 24 hour movable ring is half yellow and half black to signify daytime hours (yellow) and evening hours (black).

Hope this helps.

Dave
            You never know when you are going to have to go deep.sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X