Thread: Well, at least it's a start- Non-Rado watch content.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Well, at least it's a start- Non-Rado watch content.

The older members here will remember that I had a break-in quite a few years ago now. Amongst other things I lost 10 or eleven of my first dozen Rados, my very first Louis Rossel and most importantly this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gruen v-thin.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	24872

This was Mrs K's Dad's watch. He bought it after graduating from the BATCP. He got a brief furlow after that and returned to his hometown to marry Mrs K's Mom. During this time he bought the Gruen. It went to Britain with him, where they both completed two and a half tours in Wellingtons and Lancasters. Mrs. K's Dad won the DFC during this time.

Back to the watch- even when there was a Gruen watch forum the best they could do is tell me what Horst told me when I had him fix the watch (When I found it it had no crystal and was not running at all.) So the only information I had, was something we sort of knew anyway. The movement dated it to 1940/41. Yesterday on a vintage page on facebook one of the fellows posted this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gruen.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	24873

Top left corner, Gruen's "navy" watch. The Lexington, presumably named after Gruen's Lexington Avenue office. One can only guess, but it even looks like the suspicious crown is likely orginal.

It doesn't really help me that much as I have never seen another example, but I'll take what I can get. Even a name is more than I had.
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; 01-09-2018 at 01:32 PM.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.