Thread: ANNOUNCEMENT of changes to EOT forums...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default ANNOUNCEMENT of changes to EOT forums...

Hello EOT members and visitors,
    In the coming hours, days, weeks...etc., you will see some changes to EquationOfTime.com.
    We, the owners and moderators, are looking for ways to make the site more relevant to the needs of its users. This may include:

• Identifying ways to better engage the members
    • Adding content that is useful to collectors and aficionados
    • Updating the platform to new software
    • Re-purposing an existing forum
    • Deleting a forum deemed to have become obsolete
    • Etc...

The main objective is to make this a more enjoyable and dynamic place for our members to visit, so please, feel free to post your suggestions for renewing EOT.
    Thanks for your participation here--we look forward to some positive changes and your input!

Brad and the EOT team.

First Update:
    As mentioned above, we've removed a couple forums which were not getting much traffic and even fewer posts. You will no longer see the Engine-Turning Forum and Vintage Forum listed on EOT. It's regrettable that these did not pan out, but the market determines the success of any venture and the market has spoken. Nothing is planned in their place yet, but ideas are being discussed at EOT about topics which could thrive and meet an unmet need of the on-line community (an approach that has been successful with the Rado Forum!).

As always, please feel free to propose your ideas. As more decisions are made, or as we feel the input of the members is vital to the decision-making, we'll contact you via this forum.
    Cheers,
    Brad
    Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

I look forward to helping anyway that I can. This is my spiritual home on the internet.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Thanks, Brad
    When Glenn Frey was still alive he made a 'telling' comment about
    the Eagles music. Glenn said: "People don't just sit around and listen
    to our songs—they DO things to Eagles music." This could be running,
    working, riding your MC (like I do), cutting the grass whatever. It prompts
    you to get up and do something.

Maybe a forum that covers what people DO while wearing their specific
    watches—whether diving, climbing, fishing, touring—you get the idea.

Just a thought.

Kurt
    "So Many Watches / So Little Time"

Hi Brad & Henry, Things are pretty good over in our little Rado corner of the forum. The only thing I have to suggest for the present is to try to consolidate and complete all of the good work that was started with the various number/model threads. The compiling of the data into spreadsheets that could be stored in the stickies for future reference, I believe would be of great benefit, particularly to new members. I had a go at it and I'm no university graduate, but I'm sure there's somebody smart out there whose a wiz at manipulating data that could whip it into shape in no time, then it would just require the occasional update as new information becomes available. Perhaps if people were to see the results presented in a user friendly format they might be encouraged to mine their collections for the all important data they contain, of course it could be advertised on the sticky to post your data to the (Rado data?) thread, along with a suggested format.
    I'd like to second Kurt's action/activity based forum idea, that could be a real winner.
    Last edited by Tim.; 11-01-2017 at 03:20 AM.

I like those ideas. I have never made a spreadsheet and wouldn't even begin to know where to start, but once done Brad or I could certainly make them stickies, though I might suggest a Rado sub-forum as a better possible option. Too many stickies at the top of every page can be annoying. A sub-forum where each relevant post was locked and properly titled would be a great resource. Roland and Brad have discussed something similar in a much more general sense.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
    I like those ideas. I have never made a spreadsheet and wouldn't even begin to know where to start, but once done Brad or I could certainly make them stickies, though I might suggest a Rado sub-forum as a better possible option. Too many stickies at the top of every page can be annoying. A sub-forum where each relevant post was locked and properly titled would be a great resource. Roland and Brad have discussed something similar in a much more general sense.
    Fine by me Henry, see, your doing a great job already, maybe a link/s to the sub-forum/s can go in the "Important Rado links" sticky so it's easy to find.
    Last edited by Tim.; 11-07-2017 at 05:06 PM.

Senior Member earloffarnborough's Avatar

Here is my very old Suggestion again:
    How about opening a Chat Room? I think many Forum-members would like that .
    Regards Brad and thanks again for your good work,
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by earloffarnborough View Post
    Peter
    Thanks, Peter,
    I like that idea. I recall 15+ years ago the guy who ran the TZ Omega Forum at the time would host scheduled chatroom sessions which were loads of fun.
    I will ask the EOT guys what they think--and whether we have such features on our existing platform.
    Cheers,
    Brad
    Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Quote Originally Posted by earloffarnborough View Post
    Peter

I think this is an excellent idea. Rather than one common chat though, have one for each forum. I am sure that it would attract a great deal more people. Obviously, the moderators of the forums would have to keep an eye out for abusers - not an issue in the dive watch forum now as we have more moderators.
    TKite,
    Hydronaut

I need a new watch