Quote Originally Posted by Woodlands1 View Post
Hey Brad, when I was a kid, I used to catch crawdads in an irrigation ditch where near I lived in New Mexico. I would tie a piece of bacon on a long string and drop it in the water. Just about every time you pulled the sring out of the water there was a crawdad that had the bacon and refused to let go.
Quote Originally Posted by Watch Carefully View Post
That's a cool story. Between the ages of 7 and 15 I spent a lot of my free time in a wooded area next to my house...probably 20-30 acres of trails, woods, a meadow and a decent creek, bounded on one side by RR tracks. You can imagine the various fun my friends and I had with that wonderland nearly all to ourselves. We would catch the occasional crawdad because we stumbled across it by accident. If I had known they would come for the taking just by using a bit of bacon, I might have endangered the entire population of that crick!

I presently live about 25 minutes from where I grew up. Last April Jill, our dog, and I took a stroll around the old place.
Surprisingly (or perhaps not so much) I found a tree into which I had carved my initials. That must have been ca. 1979:

We crossed the creek several times, but I cannot recall seeing any crawdads that day.
Hey you guys, nice trip down memory lane.