Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I should have a new super oyster on my 6309 next week >

Default I should have a new super oyster on my 6309 next week >

My work protege sent me an email the other day and asked if I wanted to buy a super oyster he'd bought for a SKX173 he was hoping to purchase later this year. Turns out his wife put the hammer down on any more new watch purchases for 2012. I told him thanks, but I didn't have any use for it, not having a SKX diver in my collection at present.

Then I got to thinking that I could probably source 6309 end links for that bracelet and have a suitable attachment for my 6309-7040. I emailed back and asked him if he would be interested in a swap - maybe a watch for the bracelet? I have a couple of Chinese beaters that would be worth roughly what he paid for the bracelet.

Here's where the story got funny. He's seen most of my collection at this point, and I've let him wear quite a few of my pieces. He sent me an enthusiastic response saying that he'd be all over that trade - and saying how much he loved my Doxa... and my PRS14. He's a novice and really had no idea of the value of the watches that I was letting him wear. I told him what the Doxa and the PRS14 were worth in the open market right now, and asked if he might be interested in something else? We finally settled on a Panny clone that's been gathering dust in my watch safe.

I gave it to him yesterday, and he's tickled pink. His enthusiasm for everything watch related is infectious. It's fun to see someone discovering things for the first time that I have taken for granted for years (What's "Italian rubber?" ).

Anyway, this watch is gone, and I managed to source the end links I need from Swedefreak on SCWF. Should be here next week. And, what's cool about that is that after eleven years, there are still things I can get excited about, too...

Jeff
    UR4 scuba?

Man, I love stories like this. It is cool to see new guys get into the watch game and how enthusiastic these guys can be.

What did he say when you told him the values of some of your nicer watches? Did he crap, or aspire to that next level? Or both!
    Hook 'Em
    "Just as watch collectors are keepers of a tradition of a mechanical art, so too are dive watch owners keepers of a legacy of rugged instruments that accompanied man on some of his greatest adventures. Wear your dive watch proudly."

Sounds like your buddy needs a new wife.
    TKite,
    Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Photobucket

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. View Post
    Man, I love stories like this. It is cool to see new guys get into the watch game and how enthusiastic these guys can be.

What did he say when you told him the values of some of your nicer watches? Did he crap, or aspire to that next level? Or both!
    Yeah, I think he was a little shocked, Tom. But I had to laugh when he sent me the email suggesting I might trade the Doxa for a $60 bracelet.

Jeff
    UR4 scuba?

He's a super nice guy, but the tail is definitely waggin' the dog in that house!

Jeff
    UR4 scuba?

Quote Originally Posted by TakesALickin View Post
    He's a super nice guy, but the tail is definitely waggin' the dog in that house!
    TKite,
    Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Photobucket

Loveland Ohio, home of the Loveland Giant Frog

Got that right, Princetonwatch had the SKX-173 for under $250 when last I looked, he wasn't planning to break the bank with that one.

I'm always a littel shocked at how many WIS' wives seem to "lay down the law" on how many watches they can have. If there are no financial issues (if you're buying stuff you can't afford, that's a different situation), then why should they care? In contrast, I never hear of bass fishermen's wives telling them they need to sell the bass boat. I guess I'm spoiled, Rovina doesn't give me any flak, as long as I can afford my hobby. She might tease me about it occasionally, but I do the same to her with her dolls and rings ("Do we need to build an extension to the house, for your dolls?", and "If you get mugged, they'll bring bolt cutters!" ), but that's about it. It's a question of respecting each other's space.

Granted though, "my wife made me" is a convenient lead in for a sales post. I usually take that stuff with a grain of salt.
    John

I can only imagine the temperature drop in the room if I told Teresa she couldn't buy something she wanted. And I'm guessing that would be the case with most women. But apparently some of them (ball busters) do this stuff all the time.

Jeff
    UR4 scuba?

Loveland Ohio, home of the Loveland Giant Frog

SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED But maybe your friend's wife actually looks like Ursula Andress from back then, in which case it might all work out.

But if you are a wage earner, you deserve a little fun stuff once in awhile. What's that line from the Bible, "Muzzle not the ox that treadeth the grain"?
    Last edited by JDS (Ohio); 04-13-2012 at 05:27 PM.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by TakesALickin View Post
    I can only imagine the temperature drop in the room if I told Teresa she couldn't buy something she wanted. And I'm guessing that would be the case with most women. But apparently some of them (ball busters) do this stuff all the time.
    I have never cared what the woman wanted, if she wanted it and we could do it without hardship, no problem. I just expect the same in return. My woman has a closet devoted to shoes, and I don't care either. I told her to buy all the shoes she wants it doesn't matter to me as long as they don't make their way into MY domain

Nobody understands our obsession with watches but us. I have been a watch freak since around 5 years old, and a Dive Watch freak since around 10 when I saw my first Rolex Subs and Sea Dwellers. Time doesn't change me- If I had a larger income I would probably have a room devoted to Dive paraphanalia and Dive Watches.... But whatever
    TKite,
    Hydronaut

I need a new watch

Photobucket