Lefty or Righty?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lefty or Righty?

I would be interested to know if you wear your watch on your left wrist or your right wrist.

My dad aways used to tell me that you were supposed to wear it on the left ..so i of course wore it on the right ...and always have done ever since.

So, are you a lefty or a righty?

Your Dad was right!! Shame on you!!!
    Chris

Comment

There is of course no shame ...and no wrong or right .....just left or right......keep it friendly folks
      Last edited by Grantag; 12-01-2017, 08:06 AM.

Comment

You must have a lot of time on your hands ....
        "So Many Watches / So Little Time"

Comment

Originally posted by Grantag View Post
          I would be interested to know if you wear your watch on your left wrist or your right wrist.

My dad aways used to tell me that you were supposed to wear it on the left ..so i of course wore it on the right ...and always have done ever since.

Andrew, your Dad was right, left is the correct side to wear it on and not for merely arbitrary reasons. The main reasons for wearing a watch on your left wrist are. a) The vast majority of people are right handed and originally watches were fragile, not shockproof or waterproof and therefor, quite easily damaged. So it was thought safer to wear it on your left wrist rather than your right or dominant working side. b) Because of a) the vast majority of watch manufacturers saw fit to put the crown on the right hand side of the watch so it can be operated by your right hand while you are wearing it on your left wrist. So although wearing a watch on the right hand side may seem to be a rebellious breaking with an outdated tradition, it was in fact, a tradition well founded in the practical functionality of wristwatches.
          In answer to your question regarding lefty or righty, I am a conservative, traditional "lefty", now there's 3 words you don't often see together.
          Last edited by Tim.; 12-01-2017, 05:34 PM.

Comment

I'm a righty, but wear a watch on my right wrist.
            I had this built as a lefty--an experiment you might say:

Photo courtesy RGM WAtch Co.

Admittedly, it is tough to wind, in reverse, with my left hand.
            Brad

http://www.watchcarefully.com/articles/customrgm.html
            Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

Wearing my watch on my right was indeed a rebellious act at the time...but that was 47 years ago and it has never been a problem for me, in fact because the crown isnt pointing down my left arm it doesnt dig into the back of my left hand and i always remember my father winding his watch whilst it was in his left hand and not whilst in situ on his wrist.

Tradition and practicality go in completely opposite directions. Practicality moves forward with technology and tradition stays put.
              We no longer wear goggles when driving a car because it was practical to do so 100 years ago and we still hunt foxes whilst wearing red jackets because .... well it's tradition...but it doesnt make it right.

Im a righty, and im happy with that just the way it is.

Comment

Tradition and practicality go in completely opposite directions. Practicality moves forward with technology and tradition stays put.
                Really? Bit of a sweeping generalisation there Andrew.

A lot of traditions are born out of practical necessity, ergo tradition and practicality, can, go hand in hand.
                It's both traditional and a practical necessity for divers to wear goggles or a helmet in order to see underwater. Both technology and materials have changed but the traditional practice remains the same........However, to each his own.
                Last edited by Tim.; 12-02-2017, 02:52 AM.

Comment

I hear you Tim, however divers wearing goggles isnt anything to with tradition, its practicality and evolution, if divers stuck with tradition they would still be wearing canvas suits, huge Brass helmets and Lead boots
                  Wearing a watch on the left is tradition...it isnt necessary, it isnt driven by practicality or safety or neccesity ..its done because its always been done that way, so there is no 'correct' side to wear a watch in my book.
                  Last edited by Grantag; 12-02-2017, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Very often when the crown leaves a strong red mark on my left wrist I change and wear my watch on the right wrist. I do that for some time and occasionally switch back to the left. So I think I am not a lefty or righty, I must be something like a "bothy".
                    Cheers and have a nice weekend everybody
                    Peter

Comment

A bothy , Inspired ...I love it . I should have included that in the title !

Comment

There is of course no shame ...and no wrong or right .....just left or right......keep it friendly folks
                        I was being sarcastic bud!! You're a Brit aren't you!?
                        Chris

Comment

Hi Chris ..sorry matey , i thought you were being serious !
                          Yes im a Brit , and yes i get sarcasm ....most of the time

Comment

Hi Chris ..sorry matey , i thought you were being serious !
                            Yes im a Brit , and yes i get sarcasm ....most of the time
                            No worries bud I'm a Manc and we are sarcastic buggers!!
                            Chris

Comment

I wear mine on the right. Not rebellious, but I write with my left, and have always worn my watch on the right because of that. So there.

Comment

Working...
                              X