Learning to Service and Repair my own watches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning to Service and Repair my own watches

Morning all, I hope that our American cousins had a great Thanksgiving day and our Australian cousins get a surprise at the Gabba from the Pommie underdogs
    After much advice, many words of wisdom and kindness, Tim, Henry, Kevin, Scott, George, Brad and others (an all round bunch of good blokes) have started me on my path towards being a Rado geek...cough ,cough ... ahem ...sorry Rado Collector. I recieved my very first Rado all the way from the land of the rising sun and will post piccies later on today.

On to repairs and servicing, I have decided to take a watch repair course. After some research i have whittled it down to a couple of courses , one is an online course and one is DVD based. I prefer the idea of DVD because i will always be able to refer back to it. These courses typically cost around 200 quid, 350 Aussie dollars, 266 dollars US, (some are cheaper) . I will make my final choice this weekend and take the course then feedback to the forum on my progress.
    If someone has already bought such a course on DVD and no longer requires it please give me a shout before i sign up for a brand new one and i will buy it from you.

Words of wisdom are always greatly appreciated so if you have anything you would like to offer up in the form of advice re: my next steps please feel free.
    Cheers
    Andrew
    Last edited by Grantag; 11-25-2017, 05:01 AM.

Hi Andrew,
    You'll need a fair number of tools to undertake any serious repairs...and even if doing simple things like transplanting a movement/dial into a new case.
    Before splurging on a course or a DVD, I'd recommend compiling a list of the tools you will require...then price them out and determine your budget.

I recommend:
    fine-point tweezers
    hand-pulling tool
    jeweler's screwdriver set
    pin vise
    case wrench
    movement holder
    rodico
    watch paper
    cleaning apparatus (ultrasonic, solution, rinse)
    something to blow clean, dry air (to remove dust, etc)

That's a basic start, perhaps some of the other chaps here can elaborate.

Good luck!
    Brad
    Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

Thanks Brad, much appreciated. Funny you should mention it , i have just bought a couple of second hand books on watch repair to see if thats a viable way to learn before buying into a DVD learning scheme. I will do a search for the tools you recommend and see whats out there.
      My Rado Debut by the way has been keeping perfect time. Jethro recommended that it be worn every day and between my wife and myself it has been worn every day ( i darent wear it to work so she wears it during the day at home) so he was absolutely right that the seller had included the phrase 'needs a service' purely to cover himself. The watch had probably been given a shake, didnt keep time , and was recommended a service whereas in fact regular wearing has brought it back to life, I am now considering looking for a ladies Rado because she has fallen for it!
      Cheers
      Andrew

Comment

Working...
      X