Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ANNOUNCEMENT of changes to EOT forums...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ANNOUNCEMENT of changes to EOT forums...

    Hello EOT members and visitors,
    In the coming hours, days, weeks...etc., you will see some changes to EquationOfTime.com.
    We, the owners and moderators, are looking for ways to make the site more relevant to the needs of its users. This may include:
    • Identifying ways to better engage the members
    • Adding content that is useful to collectors and aficionados
    • Updating the platform to new software
    • Re-purposing an existing forum
    • Deleting a forum deemed to have become obsolete
    • Etc...


    The main objective is to make this a more enjoyable and dynamic place for our members to visit, so please, feel free to post your suggestions for renewing EOT.
    Thanks for your participation here--we look forward to some positive changes and your input!

    Brad and the EOT team.
    Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

  • #2
    First Update:
    As mentioned above, we've removed a couple forums which were not getting much traffic and even fewer posts. You will no longer see the Engine-Turning Forum and Vintage Forum listed on EOT. It's regrettable that these did not pan out, but the market determines the success of any venture and the market has spoken. Nothing is planned in their place yet, but ideas are being discussed at EOT about topics which could thrive and meet an unmet need of the on-line community (an approach that has been successful with the Rado Forum!).

    As always, please feel free to propose your ideas. As more decisions are made, or as we feel the input of the members is vital to the decision-making, we'll contact you via this forum.
    Cheers,
    Brad
    Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

    Comment


    • #3
      I look forward to helping anyway that I can. This is my spiritual home on the internet.
      Solve all your doubts through question mode.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks, Brad
        When Glenn Frey was still alive he made a 'telling' comment about
        the Eagles music. Glenn said: "People don't just sit around and listen
        to our songs—they DO things to Eagles music." This could be running,
        working, riding your MC (like I do), cutting the grass whatever. It prompts
        you to get up and do something.

        Maybe a forum that covers what people DO while wearing their specific
        watches—whether diving, climbing, fishing, touring—you get the idea.

        Just a thought.

        Kurt
        "So Many Watches / So Little Time"

        Comment


        • #5
          Hi Brad & Henry, Things are pretty good over in our little Rado corner of the forum. The only thing I have to suggest for the present is to try to consolidate and complete all of the good work that was started with the various number/model threads. The compiling of the data into spreadsheets that could be stored in the stickies for future reference, I believe would be of great benefit, particularly to new members. I had a go at it and I'm no university graduate, but I'm sure there's somebody smart out there whose a wiz at manipulating data that could whip it into shape in no time, then it would just require the occasional update as new information becomes available. Perhaps if people were to see the results presented in a user friendly format they might be encouraged to mine their collections for the all important data they contain, of course it could be advertised on the sticky to post your data to the (Rado data?) thread, along with a suggested format.
          I'd like to second Kurt's action/activity based forum idea, that could be a real winner.
          Last edited by Tim.; 11-01-2017, 03:20 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            I like those ideas. I have never made a spreadsheet and wouldn't even begin to know where to start, but once done Brad or I could certainly make them stickies, though I might suggest a Rado sub-forum as a better possible option. Too many stickies at the top of every page can be annoying. A sub-forum where each relevant post was locked and properly titled would be a great resource. Roland and Brad have discussed something similar in a much more general sense.
            Solve all your doubts through question mode.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
              I like those ideas. I have never made a spreadsheet and wouldn't even begin to know where to start, but once done Brad or I could certainly make them stickies, though I might suggest a Rado sub-forum as a better possible option. Too many stickies at the top of every page can be annoying. A sub-forum where each relevant post was locked and properly titled would be a great resource. Roland and Brad have discussed something similar in a much more general sense.
              Fine by me Henry, see, your doing a great job already, maybe a link/s to the sub-forum/s can go in the "Important Rado links" sticky so it's easy to find.
              Last edited by Tim.; 11-07-2017, 05:06 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Here is my very old Suggestion again:
                How about opening a Chat Room? I think many Forum-members would like that .
                Regards Brad and thanks again for your good work,
                Peter

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by earloffarnborough View Post
                  Here is my very old Suggestion again:
                  How about opening a Chat Room? I think many Forum-members would like that .
                  Regards Brad and thanks again for your good work,
                  Peter
                  Thanks, Peter,
                  I like that idea. I recall 15+ years ago the guy who ran the TZ Omega Forum at the time would host scheduled chatroom sessions which were loads of fun.
                  I will ask the EOT guys what they think--and whether we have such features on our existing platform.
                  Cheers,
                  Brad
                  Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hi, i hope you dont mind me sticking my oar in as a newbie, but could i suggest that viewing of images is made easier, I cannot see most images posted on the site due to a glitch with photobucket. If i were a potential new member who was younger i would possibly go somewhere else because everything is driven by instant access to images and video content. Fortunately i recognise the wealth of knowledge and information on the site and am older so more patient, however if you are trying to drum up new members perhaps this would be one thing to address.
                    I really like the link at the bottom of Scottjc's account which shows all the different models and again, speaking as a newbie, this is an excellent opportunity for me to see more of the type of thing that i am interested in so perhaps an area designated for a photo gallery for each different make of watch and one for advertising and user manuals ( locked so they cannot be pinched) that members could add to to build up a huge catalogue of images for every make and model that other members could scroll through for reference to check for authenticity or just for the pleasure of looking at all the different models, and perhaps even include a general valuation section to help guide members re: prices etc.
                    Cheers
                    Andrew

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Grantag View Post
                      Hi, i hope you dont mind me sticking my oar in as a newbie, but could i suggest that viewing of images is made easier, I cannot see most images posted on the site due to a glitch with photobucket. If i were a potential new member who was younger i would possibly go somewhere else because everything is driven by instant access to images and video content. Fortunately i recognise the wealth of knowledge and information on the site and am older so more patient, however if you are trying to drum up new members perhaps this would be one thing to address.
                      I really like the link at the bottom of Scottjc's account which shows all the different models and again, speaking as a newbie, this is an excellent opportunity for me to see more of the type of thing that i am interested in so perhaps an area designated for a photo gallery for each different make of watch and one for advertising and user manuals ( locked so they cannot be pinched) that members could add to to build up a huge catalogue of images for every make and model that other members could scroll through for reference to check for authenticity or just for the pleasure of looking at all the different models, and perhaps even include a general valuation section to help guide members re: prices etc.
                      Cheers
                      Andrew
                      As far as the photobucket thing goes, it's specific to photobucket, they decided they weren't making enough money out of the advertising on their site so they chose to fleece their users for third party hosting and of course no one's going to pay for something that was free when they signed up and that they can still get for free elsewhere, it's simply unfortunate that a fair percentage of the earlier photos on this forum were on photobucket. There's link at the bottom of Scott's posts cause he has photos of his collection hosted there, when you've been here a while you'll see some others who have similar links but that's the personal choice of those members to do so. Some good ideas there and I think we'll get there eventually. EoT is staffed by volunteers and kindly sponsored by RGM so we'll just have to patient. As you've pointed our the greatest asset is the collective knowledge of the membership, as far as Rado information goes, there's nowhere else that even comes close and that includes the company itself, we know considerably more about their vintage watches than they do.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Grantag View Post
                        perhaps even include a general valuation section to help guide members re: prices etc.
                        Unfortunately that's not a realistic proposition given the fluid nature of vintage watch prices. We could probably tell you if something was over priced but I think a valuation service is a bit beyond our level of expertise.
                        http://s145.photobucket.com/user/sco...deshow/Watches

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by scottjc View Post
                          Unfortunately that's not a realistic proposition given the fluid nature of vintage watch prices. We could probably tell you if something was over priced but I think a valuation service is a bit beyond our level of expertise.
                          Also, it could be perceived as a conflict of interest...many of use are sellers on occasion, and being in the position to be able to define market values and profit from subsequent sales might call into question lots of the good work we do here to provide free advice for Rado fans and collectors.
                          Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by scottjc View Post
                            Unfortunately that's not a realistic proposition given the fluid nature of vintage watch prices. We could probably tell you if something was over priced but I think a valuation service is a bit beyond our level of expertise.
                            Originally posted by Watch Carefully View Post
                            Also, it could be perceived as a conflict of interest...many of use are sellers on occasion, and being in the position to be able to define market values and profit from subsequent sales might call into question lots of the good work we do here to provide free advice for Rado fans and collectors.
                            These are both correct and I'd also like to add the caveat that without actually handling the piece in question any valuation would be nothing better than a guesstimate, and certainly nothing one could stake the sites reputation on.
                            Solve all your doubts through question mode.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              While I know this didn't really work for IWL, I am not sure that it might not work for odd, singular world of vintage Rado. Instagram, that is. I know Scott's watches get quite a lot of likes. One might get a recruit or two. Brainwashing...

                              Also, I have long wondered why there is no RGM forum, considering our benefactors. In many ways I think it could dovetail with the Rado forum, giving EoT another exclusive specialist forum.

                              Is that my four cents because it's two ideas?
                              Solve all your doubts through question mode.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X