vintage Longines after some TLC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vintage Longines after some TLC

About fifteen months ago I got this 1960 Longines, and posted these two photos of it, which showed how scruffy the crystal was:

Today I just got it back from a visit to a watchmaker. As well as giving it a well-earned service, he gave the case a go in the sonic cleaner, which has cleared the tarnish from the 9kt gold, and fitted a new crystal.

Not only was the crystal, which we think was original, very scratched, it had also discoloured, and was giving the grey eggshell dial a slightly blue hue.

The brightening of the gold and the clarity of the new crystal has totally refreshed the appearance of the watch.

My recently trimmed collection now looks like this:

1. main wearer
    2. smart, modern, watch resistant
    3. scruffy wearer
    4. blingy occasional
    5. alternative to main wearer
    6. crazy occasional
    7. delicate occasional
    Always eager to hear more

That turned out nicely DA. Discreet restoration. The new crystal also allows the numerals and hands to shine again.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Henry Krinkle View Post
      That turned out nicely DA. Discreet restoration. The new crystal also allows the numerals and hands to shine again.
      Discreet is absolutely the right word - no attempt to return the case to its original blemish free condition, or any retouching of the dial where age is beginning to show, but gently improving what can be improved, and letting those things combine to make a real difference. And the watch does have a genuinely different feel to it now. The design's simplicity can now shine out, rather than just be observed.

Not that my Samsung phone is able to capture any of that

The watchmaker told me that 9kt gold, having a much higher silver content, tarnishes a little. I was surprised at there being a visible difference in the colour of the case, just for going through the sonic cleaner.
      Always eager to hear more

Comment

I've never really been a fan of the full restoration. I used to buy really junky pieces and do a nice job of reclaiming them, but I always left elements of that watches previous life. It seems...disrespectful to do otherwise.
        Solve all your doubts through question mode.

Comment

That looks beautiful! I think many fail to appreciate the effect a new crystal can have on a watch. Such a simple change made an impressive transformation.
          -Brian

Comment

Working...
          X