X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W or G- new Cocktail Time.

Seiko_Presage_SSA.jpg

Seiko_Presage_SRPB.jpg

The top row is horrific. The pointer date subdial is bad and the power reserve may be the worst I've ever seen. Even of they weren't bad they just don't fit that watch.

The bottom row has some nice colours, but getting rid of the swanky vintage font renders the swanky vintage dial a bit anachronistic.

Grind the first four with extreme prejudice and give the bottom row a conditional wind.
    Last edited by Henry Krinkle; 05-12-2017, 12:14 PM.
    Solve all your doubts through question mode.

I miss the script on the bottom of the dial. The Presage text simply looks out of place. The crown is also disproportionately large and quite inelegant.

That said, the new dark blue and brown dials are excellent additions.
    -Brian

Comment

First of all, one problem is that normal photos of the Cocktail Time never came very close to the reality. Furthermore, Seiko stock photos never seem interested in capturing what might be especially enjoyable about a watch. So it's difficult to estimate how much one might enjoy these. It's possible that the exuberance of the dial texture makes the dramatic PR and the cute little date subdial seem appropriate - certainly they can't be doing a worse job than the standard sober Seiko date window it originally came with. Seiko's preoccupation with subdivided seconds is bizarre and annoying. On the Cocktail Time dial they look very odd, as the texture is too bumpy.

I found the major flaw in the Cocktail Time was how very thick it was, like most modern Seikos it was around the 13mm mark, which didn't really match the air of the dial. It would be lovely to learn that this new range is thinner, but I'm not expecting it....

So, on balance, I'm expecting that I would like the top design in the flesh, especially the dark dial version (but not enough to want to hand over money and then wear regularly) But I'm cautious in general about attempting to make a straightforward yes / no kind of reaction with only a Seiko stock photo to go on. The Cocktail Time has a kind of daring aesthetic, and stripped of the air that that creates for itself it's easy to misjudge the details.
      Last edited by Der Amf; 05-12-2017, 02:32 AM.
      Always eager to hear more

Comment

Originally posted by Der Amf View Post

I found the major flaw in the Cocktail Time was how very thick it was, like most modern Seikos it was around the 13mm mark, which didn't really match the air of the dial. It would be lovely to learn that this new range is thinner, but I'm not expecting it....
        You will be very pleased to learn that the new Cocktail Times are significantly thinner than the original. They switched from the 6xxx series movement to the 4xxx series movement. The watches are now under 12mm thick. That extra 1.3 or so mm should go a long way to making the watch feel less bulky. I still have a Cocktail Time floating around and it would probably be worn a lot more if it lost that much bulk.
        -Brian

Comment

Originally posted by FuzzyB View Post
          You will be very pleased to learn that the new Cocktail Times are significantly thinner than the original. They switched from the 6xxx series movement to the 4xxx series movement. The watches are now under 12mm thick. That extra 1.3 or so mm should go a long way to making the watch feel less bulky. I still have a Cocktail Time floating around and it would probably be worn a lot more if it lost that much bulk.
          Ah, that *is* good news Display backs also have something to answer for.... I love the idea of having a Cocktail Time just floating around Do you find your watches scattered around your home? Before I got storage sorted out, I would find my watches all over the place. I sometimes felt like a mad old woman surrounded by cats

Ooh, 501 posts!

Comment

Originally posted by FuzzyB View Post
            I miss the script on the bottom of the dial. The Presage text simply looks out of place. The crown is also disproportionately large and quite inelegant.

That said, the new dark blue and brown dials are excellent additions.
            Yes, I missed "font" in my swanky vintage(font). The Presage is unsuited. I was so horrified by the PR that I missed that crown.

Comment

Originally posted by Der Amf View Post
              First of all, one problem is that normal photos of the Cocktail Time never came very close to the reality. Furthermore, Seiko stock photos never seem interested in capturing what might be especially enjoyable about a watch. So it's difficult to estimate how much one might enjoy these. It's possible that the exuberance of the dial texture makes the dramatic PR and the cute little date subdial seem appropriate - certainly they can't be doing a worse job than the standard sober Seiko date window it originally came with. Seiko's preoccupation with subdivided seconds is bizarre and annoying. On the Cocktail Time dial they look very odd, as the texture is too bumpy.

So, on balance, I'm expecting that I would like the top design in the flesh, especially the dark dial version (but not enough to want to hand over money and then wear regularly) But I'm cautious in general about attempting to make a straightforward yes / no kind of reaction with only a Seiko stock photo to go on. The Cocktail Time has a kind of daring aesthetic, and stripped of the air that that creates for itself it's easy to misjudge the details.
              I think you will find most watch renders are less than inspiring. I think this is intentional. Rado's are quite dreadful. Nobody wants to oversell a watch and a have a portion of potential buyers walk out without a watch in hand.

It is possible that the quirks are appealing in real life, but I don't know. That version of the Cocktail Time looks a little like Seiko trying to build a Citizen that's trying to look like a Seiko.

Comment

my favourite example of a stock photo missing the point is this GS

Comment

That's pretty poor alright.

r12417103-big1.jpg

P9141140 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

P1014773 by Hank Blanc, on Flickr

Comment

Not a fan of the series. If I want a watch that looks like the 1960's (which I don't), I'll buy a 1960's watch (which I won't).

Comment

+1
                      "So Many Watches / So Little Time"

Comment

"A sixties watch..." I think of the 60's as a time of watch classics (says something about my age) and Seiko sticking close to that era is a feather in their cap. The cocktail time series look much better in person.

And to be really contrarian, I would love to see the top row in person!

Comment

A longer view...

Being previously unaware of this line, the amount of strong commentary on it is surprising to me. I needed to step back and sort out, in my mind, what Seiko was trying to do with the PR models. I think I get it, to a degree...

I agree that the pointer-date is a weakness.
                          My eyes aren't young enough for it to be readable at a glance, so drop it, or add a 6:00 date window.
                          The dial pattern, hands, markers and shape are all winners, to me, although the seconds hand is utterly lost in the color scheme of the gold model (and somewhat on the charcoal example).

Now, about that Power Reserve indicator...
                          I like having a PR, and a big swooping one like that reminds me of some 1950s-1960s models from Longines, Benrus and others which I quite like.
                          The fact that the PR hand moves anti-clockwise as it winds down is novel to me because at 0 it will end up at 00:00. A nice touch.
                          However, the words 'POWER RESERVE" need to go. With that text, the PR arc takes up fully 180 degrees, which implies some balance/symmetry, but is imposing. Coupled with the too-large model name and AUTOMATIC, there is just too much going on, which detracts from the functional nature (and whimsy) of the PR feature.

I'm tempted to suggest placing the PR in a circle in place of the date, and add a proper date window (or pointer date around the outside of the dial)...both of which have been done (maybe done to death). I think Seiko came close to making something special here. A few tweaks, and it would be a watch I could really enjoy.

All of this critique goes out the window if these are in homage to a vintage model that shared date/PR features much as shown here.
                          B
                          Time is Money, except on Dark Side of the Moon

Comment

It is my understanding that the previous iteration, which Brian has, was an original design meant to look vintage.

Comment

Found a more real photo of the dark dial.

I do really like this, it makes me smile. Though I'll be sure to revisit this opinion once the initial attraction has had time to cool down.

Comment

Working...
                              X